Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2020 02:01:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Czech Republic (ČD) passenger train featuring Märklin locomotive 36203 and passenger rolling stock.

At the Berlin Hbf on a November 2018 evening I spotted this train from Prague, headed for Hamburg.
It quite struck me.
An international train in colours offering a relief from the standard red of DB......
České dráhy, a.s. (ČD) was established on 1 January 2003 as one of the successor companies of the original state organisation České dráhy (Czech Railways).
The passenger cars have the distinctive logo better seen on the models described below.
(The logo is hidden in this photo by station structural steel).
As mentioned in a post #2 below by MikeC, this Najbrt livery is a little more interesting than the older livery of red and white.

UserPostedImage

The train was hauled by a Siemens BR193 in the colours of ČD, leased from ELL, European Locomotive Leasing. The side of the loco is lettered with graphical outlines of Prague, Dresden, Berlin and Hamburg.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I was very interested that Märklin in their 2019 new items, released the typical cars run by the railways of the Czech Republic (ČD).

And Märklin also released the typical electric engines built by Škoda Transportation a.s. in Pilsen, Czech Republic and elsewhere.

So this is a review of an era VI international passenger train model, powered by the BR380 36203.

UserPostedImagetrain

The Märklin coaches are modernised 26.4m long Eurofima-Wagen models, each 285mm long. I guess if these were to scale 1:87, they would be 303mm long. But Märklin has the technical experience to ensure trouble free running on most layouts by choosing a compromise scaling. In addition, Piko have also released similar cars for ČD but shorter in length. It makes sense for Märklin to differentiate their offering in the model train space. There is something for everyone.
The models represent both 1st and 2nd class, each with a large grill vent below the window line midway along the car side.
Firstly, I have noted that the 1st class cars (both Piko and Märklin listed below) have a different bogie to those on the 2nd class cars.
I do not know about the technicalities, but Märklin says the 1st class car has MD trucks without a generator.
The 2nd class cars have Fiat type Y0270 S trucks.
I doubt many people notice the bogies on passenger trains anyway.
Other differences between the cars are noted below.

The 2nd class 11 window non-pressurised Bmz models are a corridor/compartment configuration with window spacing and placement the same on both sides. The compartment side has an opaque-windowed toilet at each end, and the large vent is midway along the corridor side. The windows might appear lightly tinted.
A=1st class, B=2nd class, p=central aisle, m=>26m, z=universal train power.
42745 is Bmz 21-91 006-0.
42746 is Bmz 21-91 058-1. Apart from the running number, I can ascertain no differences between the 2nd class cars

The 9 window 1st class Ampz is an open seating car with tinted windows that are configured symmetrically each side, except that opposite the toilet at each end is a blank car side. There are small vents under the opaque-windowed toilets, and the large grill vent is on the opposite side of the car.
43762 Ampz 10-91 010-4 is characterised by dual roof protrusions at either end of the car, and logos for both ČD and DB on the car sides. I assume this car is pressurised.

Then I added to my train the Piko version of the 1st class restaurant car ARbmpz 54 85-91 002-1, which at 265mm is slightly shorter than the Märklin cars.
I fitted the Märklin close couplers to the Piko car (on the left), and you can see the result in this photo. The 1st class car on right shows the toilet, the opaque glass, the small vent and the joint ČD and DB logos.

UserPostedImagecars

The colouring on the Piko is pretty much a perfect match, but it does not have some of the data lettering and paint detail on the lower skirt.
The Piko is in the Hobby range (#57641) at about 2/3 price of the Märklin. It lacks nothing in the overall features and running quality.

I might add at some time a similar ÖBB coach in red/grey, and maybe a Slovakian or Hungarian coach if they ever became available from Märklin. It does not seem to be stretching reality that such cars might belong in such a train.

The locomotive 36203 Škoda Typ 109 E (BR380) running number 380 006-7 has a die-cast metal body, and a centrally mounted motor driving four axles.
Running in digital operation, it has an MFX decoder, runs very quietly, and comes with horn and engine sounds and white and red running lights which change ends when changing direction. The lights can be switched off independently. The loco will not pick up power from catenary.
Other versions of this locomotive are 36202 (DB) BR102, 36204 Slowakischen Eisenbahngesellschaft (ZSSK) BR381, and 36201, 36209 (ČD) BR380.
36201 is in a distinctive 100 year ČD commemmoration colour scheme.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the BR380 - Škoda Typ 109E (BR380)

I took a video,

Kimball

Edited by user 10 May 2020 09:06:46(UTC)  | Reason: Added Wikipedia link, plus 36204, updated video, noted different bogies.

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2020 03:34:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Kimball,

Roco has announced a WRmz of the CD, but it is in 1/100 (264mm). The new Maerklin coaches were 1/93 (282mm).
I think that the Piko coach is part of their consist for the Railjet.

I have two sleepers in that livery which go with my LSM NightJet (Zurich-Innsbruck-Vienna/Budapest/Prag)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139473455@N06/41507148890

The so-called Najbrt livery is a little more interesting than the older livery, although I liked the blue sleepers with the Big Dipper on the side.
Earlier livery (Coach): http://www.railfaneurope...te/73_54_10-91_006-2.jpg
Earlier livery (Sleeper): http://www.railfaneurope...61_54_72-91_001-2_G1.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2020 04:49:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Kimball,

Roco has announced a WRmz of the CD, but it is in 1/100 (264mm). The new Maerklin coaches were 1/93 (282mm).
I think that the Piko coach is part of their consist for the Railjet.

I have two sleepers in that livery which go with my LSM NightJet (Zurich-Innsbruck-Vienna/Budapest/Prag)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139473455@N06/41507148890

The so-called Najbrt livery is a little more interesting than the older livery, although I liked the blue sleepers with the Big Dipper on the side.
Earlier livery (Coach): http://www.railfaneurope...te/73_54_10-91_006-2.jpg
Earlier livery (Sleeper): http://www.railfaneurope...61_54_72-91_001-2_G1.jpg

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,
Thank you very much for adding to the interest of this review.
I liked the photo links.
I have taken the liberty of adding your note about the livery nomenclature.

I think might add at some time a similar ÖBB coach in red/grey, and maybe a Slovakian or Hungarian coach if they ever became available from Märklin. It does not seem to be stretching things to think such cars might belong in such a train.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2020 11:25:58(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Czech Republic (ČD) passenger train featuring Märklin locomotive 36203 and passenger rolling stock.

At the Berlin Hbf on a November 2018 evening I spotted this train from Prague, headed for Hamburg.
It quite struck me.
An international train in colours offering a relief from the standard red of DB......
České dráhy, a.s. (ČD) was established on 1 January 2003 as one of the successor companies of the original state organisation České dráhy (Czech Railways)...
Kimball

Hi Kimball,

Interesting observation you made in Berlin. I was very much hoping to visit the Berlin Hauptbahnhof in June of this year.
(The new Hbf was not built when we were last in Berlin in 1998) however a certain COVID19 seems set on preventing thisThumbDown
Better luck next year !Wink

Thanks for a great review ThumpUp

A fetching loco and consist in the new Najbrt livery you have there indeed!BigGrin

We have travelled by České dráhy, departing Prague in June 2015 (a beautiful station) :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

on this train to Vienna:

UserPostedImage

Pulled by this České dráhy loco :

UserPostedImage

Some other locos and rolling stock in Prague :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Thanks again for the comprehensive review.

Regards,

PhilipLaugh

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2020 21:36:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Philip,
Thanks for adding to the interest on this subject.
I have never been to Prague.
That station is so indicative of the "cathedrals of steam" as they say in Britain.

I love the City Elefant double-decker.
My wife Colleen says she loves the colour scheme of these locos, particularly on the Taurus.

I think the light locomotive in the station is like the Märklin 37426 BR114.
However I see it is a BR362 made by Škoda Works, and would require new tooling if Märklin issued it.
It looks great in the ČD Najbrt colours.
UserPostedImage

When I study the current list on Wikipedia, I see that most locos of ČD were made by Škoda Works.
See ČD loco list

Kimball
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline sjbartels  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2020 22:55:46(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I had the joy on my honeymoon of traveling with my wife from Prague to Berlin, both beautiful stations!! The train journey was extremely nice as well, I still remember the white table cloth service in the dining cars. I really need to hunting for those photos and see if I have any from the trip.

I love these Czech passenger cars though, and am planning to order them today for my previously purchased Skoda. Did Märklin only release two 2nd class cars and one first class? Did Piko release anything extra beyond the one dining car 57641?

Thanks!
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2020 23:13:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
... Did Märklin only release two 2nd class cars and one first class? Did Piko release anything extra beyond the one dining car 57641?

Thanks!

Hi SJ,

Märklin released only the 3 cars.

I believe Piko did a full range of the cars in the blue/grey livery, for the Railjet services.
The Piko is a really nice car, in their Hobby range.
It is a little shorter than the Märklin, which may suit smaller layouts or smaller radius curves.
I am not that keen on the quite darkened windows though.

Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline sjbartels  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2020 06:25:04(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi SJ,

Märklin released only the 3 cars.

I believe Piko did a full range of the cars in the blue/grey livery, for the Railjet services.
The Piko is a really nice car, in their Hobby range.
It is a little shorter than the Märklin, which may suit smaller layouts or smaller radius curves.
I am not that keen on the quite darkened windows though.

Kimball

Hi Kimball

Thanks for the quick reply. I did end up ordering all four and am excited about receiving them. I did notice the darker windows in the Piko piece, but I can live with that, begrudgingly, for the simple reason that a three car consist just feels odd to me. At least the two second class cars have seperate road numbers, otherwise I'd be having 4112 anxiety issues again LOL LOL LOL
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline danmarklinman  
#9 Posted : 14 April 2020 22:54:17(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, nice review 👍I’ve had one of these Skoda machines on my layout. I was very impressed by Marklins model. Not a bad price for what you get also👍
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman