Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DonTrain  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2013 13:31:10(UTC)
DonTrain

South Africa   
Greetings,

My local Marklin suppliers have run out of 74461 decoders (C-Track), I have been given some Viessmann decoders (5231) and told they work on the C-Track. They fit in most aspects except for one tiny little point of detail -How do we use the Marklin Central Station 2, or for that matter the 6021 control unit, to program them?

Don
Offline charles Sharpe  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2013 15:15:26(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello Don.

I am sorry I am unable to help you on this one but I would like to welcome you to the forum.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by charles Sharpe
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2013 19:34:59(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Don,

I just saw your post. Although I have neer used these decoders, I did find a manual online that says how to program them for a CS2. Check page 4.

http://www.produktinfo.conrad.c...endecoder_5235_de_en.pdf

Hope this helps you out ...

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline DonTrain  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2013 21:12:06(UTC)
DonTrain

South Africa   
Robert,

Thank you.

This document is provided with each of the decoders since 02/07. Mobile station and Maerklin controller are identified but not the CS2. I appreciate your assistance.

Still looking.

Don
Offline Nielsenr  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2013 23:19:02(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Don,

I think it does say on page 5. With the decoder connected to the switch and track power, press the button on the decoder and the switch should slowly move back and forth. Go to the keyboard page of the CS2 and pick the address you want to use, and "poke either the red or green icon. Afterwards the switch should move back and forth a few times. It should now be programmed.

Give it a try ...

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 26 March 2013 08:34:28(UTC)
H0

Hi, Don!
Originally Posted by: DonTrain Go to Quoted Post
How do we use the Marklin Central Station 2, or for that matter the 6021 control unit, to program them?
You will need a 6040 and a 6021 to program the turnout correctly.
The 6021 can program these decoders to loco addresses only - decoders will then not work with the keyboard screens of the CS2 (but can be registered as pseudo locos).

The turnout decoder learns the first address that is sent from the controller. Some controllers perpetually repeat the commands for all addresses they know - this could lead to decoder receiving and learning the wrong address when it's repeated at the wrong time.
Therefore V. recommend re-starting the controller before changing the address.

Press a button (red or green) for the address you want before/while you press the program button on the decoder - maybe that helps. Be prepared to try a few times if it doesn't work the first time.

I had no problems programming those decoders with an MS1 (using loco addresses) or a CS1 (using solenoid addresses).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline DonTrain  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2013 16:35:32(UTC)
DonTrain

South Africa   
Robert & Tom,

Thank you both. Having had a good night's sleep, I re read the documentation.

What I read on my first pass, made me think that CS2 either ran MM2 protocol or DCC protocol. But not both at the same time (RTFM).

Since the decoders handle both protocols (mixed), I tried the DCC settings... I received a response. I then put the newly configured switch onto a test track comprising 16 switches/double slips... all using MM2 protocol decoders). All the switches worked according to spec. and so did the new switch.BigGrin

Good thinking Maerklin

Don
Offline witzlerh  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2013 05:02:07(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Glad you figured it out.
DCC is a very dominant protocol digitally speaking. When any station is in multi protocol mode, it will speak DCC first, them the other protocols like mfx and fx, etc. If you set your decoders to receive Marklin, and it hears DCC first, it will get confused.

If you insist that you want your decoder to recognize another protocol rather than DCC, you must set your station to the single protocol that you want to program to, then program the decoder. Once programmed, you can revert your station back to multi-protocol. The decoder will only respond to the "language" it was taught.

Enjoy your new layout!
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline flying_arch  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2020 16:51:10(UTC)
flying_arch

Malaysia   
Hi Don Train.

I am reviving an old post. Can you share how did you managed to link your 5231 to your CS2. I am newbie and my knowledge on dcc protocal etc is quite bad. Thanking you in advance.

Regards

Ainul
Offline DonTrain  
#10 Posted : 03 May 2020 23:37:37(UTC)
DonTrain

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: flying_arch Go to Quoted Post
Hi Don Train.

I am reviving an old post. Can you share how did you managed to link your 5231 to your CS2. I am newbie and my knowledge on dcc protocal etc is quite bad. Thanking you in advance.

Regards

Ainul

Ainul,

Hi, this took place a very long time ago (see original post). my mind is a bit sketchy so I had to go looking for the decoders etc to respond to you.

1. Connect the Decoder and the switch motor to the points as per the documentation, taking care to ensure that the correct wires are connected to the correct connectors
2. Prepare the CS2 for programming
3. Program
4. Test
5. install and allocate your points

The documentation supplied with the decoder is pretty thorough.
https://www.manualslib.c...essmann-5231.html#manual

Section 3 relates to the address setting process Pay attention to paragraph C) DCC. On the inside/top of the decoder near the top of the 'V', you will notice a small gold coloured push button about 2mm in diameter. Once you are connected - must ensure that the decoder wires are connected correctly, you will need to push the push button to feel / hear a soft click. After each click the turnout motor will cause the switch to move back and forth as confirmation that youre selecting programming mode. Wait for this movement to complete. After the last click, the switch will operate faster than previously.

On the CS2 I had to select the DCC (not MM2) decoder type and supply the intended DCC address. I followed the document and the decoders worked...

Please remember that the decoder needs to be programmed using the 'Prog' connection to the track from the CS2.... and there should be only the decoder connected... i.e. don't have other accessories or locos on the track... my Prog track was a section of straight (24188) connected to my CS2 with the correct B and O wiring...and the Veissmann 5231 equipped set of points.

After programming the point I placed it on the main line and added the points into my programmed path... and it operates seamlessly... for my operation, there is no difference between MM2 and DCC equipped points... CS2 takes care of this for you.

I trust this helps you.

Don