Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin T  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2020 22:55:07(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi Friends!

I have a number of locomotives manufactured by Roco. They run with the pre-installed dcc sound decoder. All fine all the time, except...
If I happen to short circuit the programming track (Connected to the CS2 prog power output) these Roco DCC locomotives sets off in maximum speed reverse. Every time. (Please note that the Roco locomotives are on the Main track feeded by the other output on the CS2 (Main Track power output).

QUESTION:

1) Has someone here the same issue?
2) Is there a way to overcome the problem (except selling the Roco locos of course)?

Looking foward to hear from you.

Best regards / Martin T

Edited by user 06 September 2020 00:05:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2020 23:33:50(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post
2) Is there a way to overcome the problem ?

You could stop short circuiting your programming track.............. BigGrin

( Or disconnect the main track when using the programming track Cool )

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2020 02:06:25(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I haven't experienced this but then I don't go shorting my programming track either;)

All my Roco locomotives have factory ESU decoders in them, no different to most of my Marklin locos which are actually factory ESU decoders too.

Therefore in this case the model makes no difference in any case, the only difference may be how Roco program their decoders compared to marklin - which means it should be fixable by changing the programming.

Also as Per says, disconnect the main track when programming. I do this as well for safety reasons.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2020 05:58:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I would suggest programming the decoders so they do not respond to DC mode.

My understanding is that a lot of decoders will do this if the track gets shorted, and i suspect the controller puts out some current limited DC as it attempts to recover from the short circuit, and the decoder then sees itself as operating in DC mode and then as the output voltage comes up to full voltage take off as a purely analogue loco tends to do.

It will be a bit of a faff to have to go round every loco and change one bit in one CV, but I think that is what you need to do.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Johnvr  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2020 17:04:46(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello Martin

I have experienced the same situation which you describe, that is the locomotives suddenly going fast in reverse and usually ends up in a big crash somewhere on the track if I don't hit the STOP button immediately. It also happens on my layout occasionally when there is sometimes a short circuit of sorts with a locomotive entering a block with a braking delay, or sometimes even when there is a short circuit of a locomotive crossing a turnout rail.

I am running Marklin CS2 and Marklin decoders, I don't have any Roco items on my layout, so it's probably not related to the manufcturer.
So it seems that it must be something to do with the CV settings in the decoders, as per the comments from other users.

Regards
John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Martin T  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2020 22:51:12(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

My understanding is that a lot of decoders will do this if the track gets shorted, and i suspect the controller puts out some current limited DC as it attempts to recover from the short circuit, and the decoder then sees itself as operating in DC mode and then as the output voltage comes up to full voltage take off as a purely analogue loco tends to do.

It will be a bit of a faff to have to go round every loco and change one bit in one CV, but I think that is what you need to do.

Hi Alan,

A SUPER-Big thank you for this input!
I think I´ve read it somewhere before and also that it´s a working solution. Can you link me to a guide, or explain what CV to change and to what?

Regards / Martin
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2020 02:16:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hi Alan,

I think I´ve read it somewhere before and also that it´s a working solution. Can you link me to a guide, or explain what CV to change and to what?

Regards / Martin

Not off hand, but i think it may be one of the bits in CV29. I'm afraid you will need to refer to the decoder documentation.

This is where having a program like JMRI is good as it gives human readable names to all the registers and bits, and you need to know the CV number. However I don't know if it works with a cs2 or cs3 for the programming track.
Offline PeFu  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2020 06:04:56(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   

Hi Alan,

Regards / Martin

This information may help:

https://www.dccsolutions.../activating-dc-operation

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Dave Banks  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2020 10:41:29(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello PeFu, many thanks for that valuable information. I have Roco locos that behave in that manor. The sequence is triggered when changing points. I have an Ecos central station. I have kept or so I thought the track power separate from the points connected to multiple K83's via a Booster. I think the common ground is where I am going wrong.
D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2020 00:45:27(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Does anyone know how to preform this CV correction? I only have an ESU Lok Programmer & Ecos 50200. CV292 had analog enabled. I un-ticked that box. I hope I did the right thing. Your help would be appreciated.
D.A.Banks
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2020 06:22:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know how to preform this CV correction? I only have an ESU Lok Programmer & Ecos 50200. CV292 had analog enabled. I un-ticked that box. I hope I did the right thing. Your help would be appreciated.

You mean 29 and not 292 ?, I always untick the DC (Märklin braking section) but left the AC activated, have to try it, only the oterh night my son said the Rh 2016 reversed itself, this loco has been on the track for donkey days and never had any reversing problems and for any other Roco loco but will investigate if I find any reasons why

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Dave Banks  
#12 Posted : 08 April 2020 00:01:19(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello John,

I placed the loco on the programming track & let the Ecos 50200 do a search of the decoder. It came up with all the correct data & it displays 29.2. My Lok-Programmer wont recognize the decoder at all being a Zimo decoder. So I can get the loco to operate on the lok-programmer but nothing else. I will have a look for that Marklin braking section & see if I can disable it.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

D.A.Banks
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 08 April 2020 07:00:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dave, I've never done anything like this
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline ocram63_uk  
#14 Posted : 08 April 2020 09:29:14(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good morning, hope you and your loved ones are fine and safe !!!
Never had this problem, be it with Marklin locos or others converted to Marklin.
My ECoS is connected to the running tracks and the programming is done on the Marklin roller stand always connected to the ECoS.
Whenever there is a short, involuntary or voluntary, anywhere on the system the ECoS shuts itself off immediately so there are no locos zooming away at full speed.
(I had this problem when setting up braking sections for my semaphores)

Before putting any loco on the programming / running track I hit the STOP button, just to be safe.

I don't understand why your CS2 doesn't shut off when you have a short :-(

More than re-programming your decoders I would check how the CS2 handles shorts and this are the settings you have to change :-)

HTH
Offline Dave Banks  
#15 Posted : 08 April 2020 09:58:38(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi HTH,

It not like a dead short that has occurred. It hard to describe. Have a read of this:

With our DCC Custom Sound Projects and even our non sound installs we prefer and recommend to turn the Analog DC off for operational reliability when running your locomotives on a DCC layout.

By turning off DC during our decoder programming, it reduces problems with the decoder when a short circuit may occur when running in DCC.

If you predominately run your locomotives on a DCC layout then it is advised to leave the Analog DC option switched off.

If the DC option is switched on and a short circuit occurs anywhere on your DCC layout and the system resets, at a fraction of a second the DCC Decoder needs to determine whether it is receiving a DC or DCC signal. As this happens so quick it may get it wrong and select DC even though you are running on a DCC layout.

Instantly, you will have discovered you now have a run away train that you can not control in DCC because the decoder has accidentally been set to DC after the short. If this occurs then a DCC decoder reset would generally fix the problem unless serious damage has occurred to the decoder.

So, by having the DC option switched off you are forcing the decoder to only look for a DCC signal and it won't switch the decoder to DC automatically.

More than likely if DCC Solutions has installed a decoder into one of your locomotives or you have purchased a decoder for your own install, the Analog
D.A.Banks
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 08 April 2020 12:28:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello John,

I placed the loco on the programming track & let the Ecos 50200 do a search of the decoder. It came up with all the correct data & it displays 29.2. My Lok-Programmer wont recognize the decoder at all being a Zimo decoder. So I can get the loco to operate on the lok-programmer but nothing else. I will have a look for that Marklin braking section & see if I can disable it.

A Lokprogrammer can change CVs in any DCC decoder, even though it does not recognise the decoder. I have used it to program CVs in a Marklin decoder. You just have to do it as basic CV programming rather than using the fancy ESU flowcharts and bits.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Dave Banks  
#17 Posted : 08 April 2020 14:46:58(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I am going to need a bit of help doing that. I am also battling to change cv's on an old MFX decoder only to be told you cannot do that either as they do not have any CV Values. Trying to set that decoder to run a C-Sine motor but that is another story Confused
D.A.Banks
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 09 April 2020 00:20:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

I am going to need a bit of help doing that. I am also battling to change cv's on an old MFX decoder only to be told you cannot do that either as they do not have any CV Values. Trying to set that decoder to run a C-Sine motor but that is another story Confused

Hello Dave,

wondering where have all been these super experts gone? Well, read my post very quick, because we have admins deleting other people posts, which they do not accept by their lack of knowledge.BigGrin

I do not have an ECos, ESU decoders or what else. I only do have Maerklin and in addition 1 ESU, 1 Piko, 1 Liliput loco. But they are all designed for an AC 3L system including their decoders inside.

I can tell you, every mfx decoder does have a CV address. I see these addresses for every loco in my loco info window at the CS 3. You can change mfx CVs, but why do you want to do it? No need for that. Mfx means, the digital address is set up automatically at the registration of the loco. You do not have to worry about this. A mfx decoder is doing it for you, automatically.

But what is important (unfortunately you do not tell us any article number, so I do know nothing about the loco we are talking), you have to know, if your decoder is a single functional or a multifunctional deccoder. I have an E 50 (39500) from 2010 where Maerklin has listed this loco in its database only with a single track decoder for mfx. So I cannot run this loco with DCC. For example, take the new Big Boy (37997). Maerklin says in its database this loco has a multifunctional decoder for mfx+ and DCC. Why do make life so complicated changing decoder addresses? Run the locos as they are arriving from the manufacturers. They have opitmized them for the reasons you are using these locos for.

Regards

TEEWolf

Offline TEEWolf  
#19 Posted : 09 April 2020 00:35:30(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi HTH,

With our DCC Custom Sound Projects and even our non sound installs we prefer and recommend to turn the Analog DC off for operational reliability when running your locomotives on a DCC layout.

By turning off DC during our decoder programming, it reduces problems with the decoder when a short circuit may occur when running in DCC.

If you predominately run your locomotives on a DCC layout then it is advised to leave the Analog DC option switched off.

If the DC option is switched on and a short circuit occurs anywhere on your DCC layout and the system resets, at a fraction of a second the DCC Decoder needs to determine whether it is receiving a DC or DCC signal. As this happens so quick it may get it wrong and select DC even though you are running on a DCC layout.

Instantly, you will have discovered you now have a run away train that you can not control in DCC because the decoder has accidentally been set to DC after the short. If this occurs then a DCC decoder reset would generally fix the problem unless serious damage has occurred to the decoder.

So, by having the DC option switched off you are forcing the decoder to only look for a DCC signal and it won't switch the decoder to DC automatically.

More than likely if DCC Solutions has installed a decoder into one of your locomotives or you have purchased a decoder for your own install, the Analog

Where did you got this text from?
Offline Dave Banks  
#20 Posted : 09 April 2020 05:55:22(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
The text comes from a link that PeFu put on this post: https://www.dccsolutions.com.au/activating-dc-operation
The Loco is Roco #79603 OBB & decoder is Zimo.
I also mentioned that not related to this topic I was having difficulties changing CV's on an ESU MFX decoder. I now am told on an ESU lokprogrammer you cannot see the list of CV's so one cannot change them.
You ask why do I want to change the CV's. I want to install this decoder with sound into my BR290. It has a soft -C-Sine motor. To make it possible to operate that loco you have to change a few things as listed in the ESU manual. Sorry I have confused you.
D.A.Banks
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 10 April 2020 01:04:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

The text comes from a link that PeFu put on this post: https://www.dccsolutions.com.au/activating-dc-operation
The Loco is Roco #79603 OBB & decoder is Zimo.
I also mentioned that not related to this topic I was having difficulties changing CV's on an ESU MFX decoder. I now am told on an ESU lokprogrammer you cannot see the list of CV's so one cannot change them.
You ask why do I want to change the CV's. I want to install this decoder with sound into my BR290. It has a soft -C-Sine motor. To make it possible to operate that loco you have to change a few things as listed in the ESU manual. Sorry I have confused you.

Thanks for the information. I think the major problem is Roco wants to satisfy everybody only with one decoder. Sometimes it may work, sometimes not. As mentioned, I am not familiar with ECos, Roco and Co. I am concentrated on Maerklin and I know why.
After a quick scanning of the various manuals, I would recommend to switch off per CV and/or ECos the analogue AC and analogue DC. It is also recommended in the DCC solutions text.

Run your loco only with digital current. This is not DCC, it is digital current, even some people write it is DCC. DCC is the track format. Then decide under which track format you want to run the loco, DCC or MM2, mfx, etc. Perhaps your reversing at full speed is over. I know this behaviour from my old analogue AC Maerklin locos, where this reversing happened sometimes by excess voltage, as I remember after 50 years.

Because you have an ECos, today I read in a German MRR website (HGH-MoBa) that the new mSD/3 decoders from Maerklin cannot be programmed with an ECos. Please do not ask me why. I was very surprised about this remark today. This I have to follow up.
Offline Dave Banks  
#22 Posted : 10 April 2020 02:25:29(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello TEEwolf,

Its a good thing I don't have any mSD/3 decoders from Maerklin. Mine are 99% esu or Marklin ESU/OEM. I await your follow up.
D.A.Banks
Offline vmsysprog  
#23 Posted : 10 April 2020 04:08:46(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
I’m having this problem with a Digitrax decoder. I’ll check the setting.

Steve
Offline Dave Banks  
#24 Posted : 10 April 2020 22:24:40(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Steve, that would be good to know.

Thanks Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 10 April 2020 23:26:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello TEEwolf,

Its a good thing I don't have any mSD/3 decoders from Maerklin. Mine are 99% esu or Marklin ESU/OEM. I await your follow up.

I have sent the owner of the website an e-mail, but received an automatically generated mail only, telling mails are not read at the moment. I will come back to him next week. It is of mine interest too. Because Maerklin is always using in its new locos these mSD/3 decoder, as I was told by an Maerklin employee.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#26 Posted : 11 April 2020 04:55:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Hello TEEwolf,

I have sent the owner of the website an e-mail, but received an automatically generated mail only, telling mails are not read at the moment. I will come back to him next week. It is of mine interest too. Because Maerklin is always using in its new locos these mSD/3 decoder, as I was told by an Maerklin employee.

Well, that would be in any mfx loco. The hobby line that has only fx decoders seems to be a different decoder, and I suspect cheaper than the mLD/3 ones.
Offline vmsysprog  
#27 Posted : 11 April 2020 16:46:17(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
Hello Steve, that would be good to know.

Thanks Dave...

Attempted to check the setting using the Trix MS2 and it would not/could not read the setting. So, I can’t check nor set CV29. It is a Digitrax decoder. Will revisit when I have access to my Digitrax base unit.

Steve
Offline vmsysprog  
#28 Posted : 12 April 2020 16:18:39(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
FWIW: I tried another engine that did not have a digitraxx decoder, I think it is a Soundtraxx. I was able to change CV29 on it. When that loco starts now, it does not take off full speed. IOW, functioning as expected. As someone else had mentioned, on this list, subtract 4 from the existing value. I did that and it worked for me.
YMMV
Steve
Offline Dave Banks  
#29 Posted : 12 April 2020 23:10:39(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Steve,

How did you manage to change that CV? I have only a Lokprogrammer & Ecos 50200 at my disposal.
D.A.Banks
Offline vmsysprog  
#30 Posted : 13 April 2020 00:34:43(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
I changed it using the MS2. In this case, it was the Trix version MS2. There is an option on the MS2 (Trix or Marklin) to change CV settings.

Steve
Offline kiwiAlan  
#31 Posted : 13 April 2020 03:54:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello Steve,

How did you manage to change that CV? I have only a Lokprogrammer & Ecos 50200 at my disposal.

You should be able to do it with the LokProgrammer. Unfortunately I am half a world away from mine so can't give you instructions. There is a way of selecting individual CVs with it, I have done it with Marklin decoders.

Offline Dave Banks  
#32 Posted : 13 April 2020 04:54:53(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Alan, when placing the loco on the Lokprogrammer track using 5.0.1.2 it says "the detected decoder is not supported" which is what threw me every time. "Not seen the forest for the trees" Crying.So following through with what you said I put 29 into the read CV section & it came back with 2.
Below that is the value & write. So I put 6 into the value to be changed & it did it. I re-checked value of 29 & it reads 6. I changed 50 to have the value of 2. Many thanks for your insight into this & now hopefully all is good & no more run away trains at full speed. I believe this subject is now closed. Thank you all for your time.
D.A.Banks
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 13 April 2020 10:58:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello Alan, when placing the loco on the Lokprogrammer track using 5.0.1.2 it says "the detected decoder is not supported" which is what threw me every time. "Not seen the forest for the trees" Crying.So following through with what you said I put 29 into the read CV section & it came back with 2.
Below that is the value & write. So I put 6 into the value to be changed & it did it. I re-checked value of 29 & it reads 6. I changed 50 to have the value of 2. Many thanks for your insight into this & now hopefully all is good & no more run away trains at full speed. I believe this subject is now closed. Thank you all for your time.

Ah, good. success at last. ThumpUp