Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obb_taurus  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2020 20:03:27(UTC)
obb_taurus

I am wondering how people would describe the running characteristics of the 7286 turntable? I hooked mine up to a conventional control transformer and find it's running characteristics seem on the weak side but are still better as when using the Marklin digital decoder. Is this normal for the 7286? I've seen a few TTs on youtube which sound a lot stronger than mine but I'm assuming they are Fleischmann models cause they look somewhat different but there are others which look exactly like mine and they sound stronger. I've also been wondering about power, the transformer I'm using is 30VA, could it be this is not sufficient for the turntable?

Thanks
Offline Martin T  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:18:26(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
" I hooked mine up to a conventional control transformer and find it's running characteristics seem on the weak side but are still better as when using the Marklin digital decoder"

Two questions and one answer:

QUESTION 1:
Hi! What do you mean "on the weak side"? Doesn´t it turn the table around properly, or is it slow or sluggish?

QUESTION 2:
I have considered to buy the decoder, but read that many people has probz with it burning when the turntable stucks (which it does about every second turn)..
If I understand you the decoder also makes the movement even weaker?

ANSWER:
The main problems I think is the noisy operation. I´ve seen some guys adding thin layers of clay inside the pit to enhance look and reduce sound. Weak.. Maybe.. It gets stuck in certain positions from time to time and then needs to be manually operated to overcome the problem. Otherwise I think the operation is at least as distinct as other turntables on the market.
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2020 22:41:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

If the 7286 is recent then it is very good, totally silent and very good to use.
Märklin decoder to go with it is (sorry) crap
Here is my brand new 7286 in 2014

I am not sure what you can weak. Rotation speed is prototypical

I coupled my 7286 with a DigitalBahn decoder: DSD2010
Here is the main decoder (Grubedecoder)
UserPostedImage
Here is the bridge unit (Bühnedecoder
UserPostedImage
Here is the result with light signals and sound system in fully automatic operation using Rocrail

Certainly a good product. Now not available through Märklin but through Fleischmann under a different reference

Note : with the DSD2010decoder, position detection is by a photo transistor and the electro-mecanical latching is removed/not needed. The TT works even better.
Cheers
Jean
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2020 23:09:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Over the years Fleischmann have improved the TT quality and reduced the noise. On my unit the only noise to be heard was from the latching bar / Relay. Now it is coming from an Uhlenbrock sound unit (SUSI) driven by the decoder.
The difference between Märklin and Fleischmann versions are:
- cabin interior color (green for M and yellow for F)
- bridge fixation (a screw for 3 rails version and a circlips for 2rail version).
- railing color (grey for M and grey with yellow zebra for F)
- control unit (a rectangular box for M and a round symbol to be integrated with other Fleischmann switch controls
- Zamak plates between rails for 3 rails and plastic for 2 rails.
With Märklin the bridge is operated from 16 VAC while with Fleischmann it is operated from 14 VAC.
Jean
Offline obb_taurus  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2020 23:28:45(UTC)
obb_taurus

Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post
" I hooked mine up to a conventional control transformer and find it's running characteristics seem on the weak side but are still better as when using the Marklin digital decoder"

Two questions and one answer:

QUESTION 1:
Hi! What do you mean "on the weak side"? Doesn´t it turn the table around properly, or is it slow or sluggish?

QUESTION 2:
I have considered to buy the decoder, but read that many people has probz with it burning when the turntable stucks (which it does about every second turn)..
If I understand you the decoder also makes the movement even weaker?

ANSWER:
The main problems I think is the noisy operation. I´ve seen some guys adding thin layers of clay inside the pit to enhance look and reduce sound. Weak.. Maybe.. It gets stuck in certain positions from time to time and then needs to be manually operated to overcome the problem. Otherwise I think the operation is at least as distinct as other turntables on the market.

Thanks for the reply Martin

In answer to your questions:

1. When it turns the motor fluctuates, at times it sound weak like it's gonna die and moves a little slower, other times it sounds stronger. There are times when it stops in a position and I have to give it a nudge to get it going again.

2. I don't have problems with burning when using the decoder, just super weak, often I wonder if it's going to make it to the track where I want it to go.
Offline obb_taurus  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2020 23:32:38(UTC)
obb_taurus

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Over the years Fleischmann have improved the TT quality and reduced the noise. On my unit the only noise to be heard was from the latching bar / Relay. Now it is coming from an Uhlenbrock sound unit (SUSI) driven by the decoder.
The difference between Märklin and Fleischmann versions are:
- cabin interior color (green for M and yellow for F)
- bridge fixation (a screw for 3 rails version and a circlips for 2rail version).
- railing color (grey for M and grey with yellow zebra for F)
- control unit (a rectangular box for M and a round symbol to be integrated with other Fleischmann switch controls
- Zamak plates between rails for 3 rails and plastic for 2 rails.
With Märklin the bridge is operated from 16 VAC while with Fleischmann it is operated from 14 VAC.
Jean

Thanks Jean,

If I remember correctly, I got my turntable maybe in 2007 or 2008 so perhaps it has been improved greatly since that time. There I figured a new decoder may be in order but now it almost sounds like a new turntable may be the answer.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2020 23:35:19(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Motor fluctuations may come:
- from a weak power supply (less than 16 VAC
- from a non circular pit (the cut hole is pushing the pit laterally at some points)
- the spring that pushes the main driver / motor assembly against the pit is too strong
Jean
Offline Stu Simmonds  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2020 02:58:48(UTC)
Stu Simmonds

Australia   
I have a 7286 Turntable that is in need of repair

I removed the deck about 8 years ago to replace a motor...and thats where it stopped

Anyone in Oz able to repair /test this without having to remove entire tt well?

Stu
Offline obb_taurus  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2020 02:59:10(UTC)
obb_taurus

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Motor fluctuations may come:
- from a weak power supply (less than 16 VAC
- from a non circular pit (the cut hole is pushing the pit laterally at some points)
- the spring that pushes the main driver / motor assembly against the pit is too strong
Jean

The transformer is pretty old so I will try with another transformer. I used a router jig specially made for cutting holes so the TT fits very nicely, if anything there is a little bit of play so the TT is not being pinched. Not sure about the last point which could be a strong possibility, any suggestions how I might check if this is an issue?

Thanks
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2020 12:27:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Before doing anything else make sure that the pit is not deformed (we already mentioned a too small hole ). Another possibility is when the hole in the base plate is too large.
In that case, the weight of the TT is on the outer side of the plates and access tracks. The result is to push them inside thus creating a large friction between the bridge and its pit.
If this is the case, the solution is to install supporting bars under the pit, that way no force is bending the sides of the pit. That way the placing back of the plates is easier.

This is the underneath of my 7286 when it was new and not modified:
UserPostedImage
You can see the motor assembly at the top and the spring at the center. On some units, this spring is too strong, the idea being to push gently on the pit's side to move the bridge though the high module gear (the main driver).

How to remove the bridge:
- Select a bridge position (while you push the motor lever towards the center so to dis-engage the main driver from the pit's teeth) where you can remove the bridge without interfering with access tracks.
- At the selected position make a note of plates that are adjacent to the bridge on both sides (I added a tiny color point on those plates)
- Rotate manually the bridge so that you have free access to those plates to remove them. Those plates will have to be removed to allow lifting the bridge.Normally there are 4 plates on one side and 6 on the opposite side so that the bridge may be lifted up. All plates are removed by pushing gently on the center latch while pulling up (rocking sideways a little may help.
- when the plates are removed, rotate the bridge so that it faces the removed plates
- unscrew the center screw of the bridge and remove the 2 Zamak plate (sort of center rail on the bridge)
- remove the railings (4 pieces) by pulling them sideways away from the bridge
- lift the bridge up

Attention: when pulling up the plates be careful not to break the thin brown part on the inner side of the plate.

Motor assembly
The motor assembly slides and is pushed away from the center by a spring
By gently pulling the motor assembly away from the center you may disengage the 4 latches that keep it on its slider
Then you have access to the pushing spring (remove and adjust if needed

How to put back the bridge:
-While it is a reverse operation, placement of the bridge in its position is delicate to avoid bending the contact tongues. Best is to use a tooth pick through the bridge's center hole and use it as a guide to slowly lower the bridge towards the main pit bearing ("Königsstuhl"). That way you can slowly lower the bridge vertically and land it at its proper location.
- Once in its position, position the contact spring with a red wire so that it sits in the center, the wire is in its grove so that Zamak plates can be installed and held in place by the screw

Voilà I hope this helps
Cheers
Jean
Attached is the spare parts list for this model Fleischmann 6652 Ersatzteile.pdf (296kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
and also the user's manual Marklin 7286 Anleitung.pdf (1,712kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2020 23:07:19(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thank you Jean
I'm about to get to work on mine...all that time on our hand(!!)
I may (will !!!) come back on this topic in the days to come...
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 23 March 2020 00:50:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Jean
I'm about to get to work on mine...all that time on our hand(!!)
I may (will !!!) come back on this topic in the days to come...
Cheers
Jacques

Wish I could do the same with mine, its a bit hard when I am on the opposite side of the world and unable to get home ... Crying Crying Crying