Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2020 22:42:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

Have you seen this loco cleaning process? It seems a typical HOS loco can be cleaned up and start working within a very short time without really taking it apart. Check out the video, on this one. The loco used obviously has the wheels and gears solidly locked up. The HOS is so bad, it is even holding the shell onto the frame assembly. It is really quite shocking to see a loco submerged in a liquid which I think is SR24. What is even more surprising is when you see the track connected to power and the throttle turned up and watch it go while still submerged.

Sorry this link is not in English. Just turn on “cc” within YouTube and then select English from the “*” icon.

Check it out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgvLeo1edk8

What do you think of this one? Could make this much easier.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline parakiet  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2020 23:17:34(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline oranda  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2020 19:08:03(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
I spotted this online this afternoon also. Amazing!

Can this be done with Märklin HO digital?

Could IsoPropyl replace the SR24?
Offline thing fish  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2020 19:22:14(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post
Could IsoPropyl replace the SR24?

I don't think so, SR24 have many other chemicals in it like oil (or something similar to it).

C.

Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2020 21:06:02(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Yes this procedure would make routine engine maintenance like this simple and easy. I just dread taking everything apart and then drop or misplace a part and not be able to put things back together.

Sorry I have not seen this done with digital, but HO is not an issue. I believe I have seen this done with scales larger than z.

I think isopropyl may cause problems and the loco might not respond as it does in the SR24 bath. It is possible it may cause a short circuit. I would not suggest anyone attempt this with alcohol. I believe the SR24 is also used to produce smoke for locos with this capability. It likely has something special in it.

If you spot this procedure applied to digital loco’s please share as there are many z scalers moving toward digital.

I don’t have experience with digital units yet. From my first impressions, it seems the digital unit itself is sensitive to such things as electrical input from stray sources. Static shock input for example. Submersing this digital piece may cause a failure.

Is it difficult to reverse the loco to be analog again temporarily? If this is a simple process maybe this could be considered.

Best wishes.

Edited by user 14 March 2020 03:51:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline thing fish  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2020 22:34:49(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Is it difficult to reverse the loco to be analog again temporarily?

I think it would be pretty painful as you have to desolder/resolder at least 5-6 tiny cables, and have to tuck them in. Not for my eyes - at least the z scale.

C.

Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2020 05:53:47(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

After reviewing the comments on this YouTube, I discovered one viewer asked about use with digital and the reply was translated below:

“Electronic components are waterproof. If the decoder is attached with double-sided adhesive tape, this could come off”

It is possible this process was applied to a digital unit without serious issues. This could make for an expensive failure or a sweet success. Perhaps you could contact the submitter for further info.

There was also a note that the SR24 might pull oil from oil infused bearings and perhaps make things worse in the long run. I would limit exposure of the motor to this as a precaution and re-oil afterwards just like any other cleaning. The z scalers already know these type of bearings are found in our locos also. I have not discovered problems with these parts being treated to an ultra-sonic bath. At least not so far.

I don’t know how you might consider this procedure but I find it at the very least, interesting and perhaps worthy.

Edited by user 14 March 2020 16:24:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified