Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2020 23:33:41(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Is there any one here involved in manufacturing?

I regularly peruse Stephens'analysis of the Märklin model release schedules at Delivery Update
It makes me realize the process complexity required in their factories at Göppingen and Gyor.

Take the model 47109 as an example.
Although it is now "Sold out at the factory", it will not be available till almost December this year.
Why would this be?
Could Märklin keep taking orders until time of manufacture?
The answer might be that Märklin have only enough staff time (manhours), facility time (machinery), or materials to make a certain number.
And this then means Märklin must schedule every production run over one year in advance.

What would you think?

Kimball

Edited by user 11 March 2020 04:47:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2020 02:16:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

I regularly peruse Stephens'analysis of the Märklin model release schedules at Delivery Update
It makes me realize the process complexity required in their factories at Göppingen and Gyor.

Take the model 47109 as an example.
Although it is now "Sold out at the factory", it will not be available till almost December this year.
Why would this be?
Could Märklin keep taking orders until time of manufacture?
The answer might be that Märklin have only enough staff time (manhours), facility time (machinery), or materials to make a certain number.
And this then means Märklin must schedule every production run over one year in advance.

What would you think?

Kimball

When a model like this is proposed there will be some sort of marketing meeting where an estimated production volume for it will be made. A list of materials needed and their delivery dates for the required volume of material, along with any considerations about piggy-backing on supplies of similar material for other items and then a look at the production schedule to see when it can be fitted in.

But then a model sometimes stands out as 'desirable' by the target market and so forward orders get placed to be sure of obtaining an example, so the factory production run is allocated before a single item is produced.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2020 03:22:55(UTC)
applor

Australia   
From my understanding they will have a set production run to produce X number of units based on how many they think they can sell or want to sell.

The sold out at factory I think means all units have been allocated to dealerships and therefore none available to order directly from Marklin.

As you say they would likely have a tightly scheduled production run a long time in advance so that are unable to simply extend a run, or may not want to.
After all their goal would be to do a production run and sell all of those units, if they then do an additional production run they may not sell them all and will be left with surplus stock.
Most models these days too are limited release/production runs so unlikely to see another run unless they decide to do a variant.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2020 13:56:39(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Well, I am sort of and indirectly.

In these modern days, production is more and more made to "Just in time" rather than "to stock".
Actually, you get the feeling that "stock" is a dirty word to the beancounters.

With a specialized product like model trains, I bet NOTHING is made to stock, and un-ordered products are only produced in very limited quantities, in order to minimize the risque of having to stock it.

(I am currently working at a huge factory which makes auto-parts; The part that each car ususally carry at least 4 units of... The rythm of production is changed daily, and the warehouse is only used as a "lung" for the ebb and flow of shipments.
These truck-tires meassure around 1m in diameter and weighs around 50kg. They take up huuuge amounts of space, and I take it that the warehouse would fill up in less than a week, if sales suddenly stopped.)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2020 22:45:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thank you Alan, Eric, and Henrik for your insights.

It appears Märklin rely heavily on their dealers to know what sells.
Or alternatively rely on their dealers to pre-sell the items if the dealer does not want the risk of retaining stock.
So yes in that sense, I can see that Märklin can be sold out of a product months in advance of its being manufactured.

I am in a retail business, and the quicker we shift stuff, the better for all.
Better for management, staff and the storage and display space, and the cash flow.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.