Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2020 20:47:49(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I got today my very first mfx+ decoder equipped loco Märklin 37528 DB AG 120.0 from Era V . I checked which software version my CS2 60214 has as I have not updated it for ages... it has software version 2.43 . I want to test this mfx+ feature cab view mode. So is it just ok to update my CS2 to the newest software version and get it working? I tested this loco and it shows sand consumption and sand can be filled up but no cab view with this too old 2.43 software version.

Best regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2020 21:21:14(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi again

I downloaded an update file for version 4.2.0.9 from October 2019, but I can’t remember what should I do with this cs2update.img file? Please help me. I want to update my CS2 with USB memory stick.

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2020 21:21:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
v 2.43 ???

CS2 v3.x is the minimum for CabMode (WoO)

With the new loco , you probaly also wand v4.+ to get greter than 16 function support.

If you have screens for the resources, then you will be > v3.0

To get the cab mode, you need to edit the loco and select a GamesWorld / Spielmodus other than standard.

Notes:
- Make sure the Loco is on the track and that the CS2 is not on STOP when you do this
this is a setting that is set within the decoder
- You may have to delete the loco from the CS2 and let it be rediscovered
it is the CS2 reading the mode of the decoder that indicates to it that the cab mode icon/function is to be available

https://www.marklin-user...AQ-repository#post394628
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2020 21:33:57(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi again

I downloaded an update file for version 4.2.0.9 from October 2019, but I can’t remember what should I do with this cs2update.img file? Please help me. I want to update my CS2 with USB memory stick.

Janne

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/downloads/cs2-updates/
Peter
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2020 21:42:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Hi again

Janne

I already downloaded that update file but it is 128 Mb file cs2update.img and I really don’t know how to proceed. Earlier years ago with other software updates there was some cs2 folder in USB stick and all the files needed to be in certain order to make it work. I don’t remember more. If this CS2 is socomplicated devide to just get updated I may stay with my old 2.43 version and just don’t use this cab view mode. Märklin will not get my moneys for more mfx+ locos then. I bought this 37528 as new from a private seller for only 160 euros.
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2020 01:38:15(UTC)
TEEWolf

I already downloaded that update file but it is 128 Mb file cs2update.img and I really don’t know how to proceed. Earlier years ago with other software updates there was some cs2 folder in USB stick and all the files needed to be in certain order to make it work. I don’t remember more. If this CS2 is socomplicated devide to just get updated I may stay with my old 2.43 version and just don’t use this cab view mode. Märklin will not get my moneys for more mfx+ locos then. I bought this 37528 as new from a private seller for only 160 euros.

You must not stay with your old software version. You bought a real nice loco for a real good price. Keep it and enjoy your new loco. Here at Maerklin's website you find all instructions you need for further updates.

http://streaming.maerkli...fo_above_3_6_english.pdf

- even in English. Here the link again @clapcott have sent you already, but in English

Scroll down to the last line and set a tickmark into this little grey circle. The page opens an extension for selections for further files, where you choose the adequate update information for you.

P.S.: Be aware the update can last very, very long for a CS 2 as I read in other threads (I do have only a CS 3 which is quite quick).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2020 10:18:05(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

You must not stay with your old software version. You bought a real nice loco for a real good price. Keep it and enjoy your new loco. Here at Maerklin's website you find all instructions you need for further updates.

http://streaming.maerkli...fo_above_3_6_english.pdf

- even in English. Here the link again @clapcott have sent you already, but in English

Scroll down to the last line and set a tickmark into this little grey circle. The page opens an extension for selections for further files, where you choose the adequate update information for you.

P.S.: Be aware the update can last very, very long for a CS 2 as I read in other threads (I do have only a CS 3 which is quite quick).

Thank you very much for the instructions ThumpUp . Now it makes sense to me how to do it and I will update my CS2 later today. I have also possibility to connect CS2 to Internet if I move the router to the train room. But our network connections have often problems so it is more risky way to update it this way if network connection cuts etc. It might have some newer features than USB stick update version has, but it will be a more reliable way to update with USB stick. I might later connect CS2 to Internet anyway to test iPad Main Station app and iPhone Mobile Station app. I have used these also several years ago last time as router is in our living room. I will wait for this long update process and will make sure to choose ”continue” in the end of the process.

Yes this 37528 is a very nice loco and I got it basically for half the price as it was a new loco. I already tested it yesterday and it pulled really well my long twenty four axle tank car train.

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2020 11:53:55(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi again

When I go to Märklin website https://www.maerklin.de/...e/downloads/cs2-updates/ there is not that cs2update.md5 file in their software update downloads. Only cs2update.img file (128 Mb) which I already downloaded and cs2update.tgz file (2 Mb). Also CS2.dmg file (117 Mb). Some .zip files, .pdf files and some .jpg files.... Confused Not easy like I thought it will be...

Janne
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2020 12:03:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Janne

I strongly recommend to update your CS2 online. The reason is you have a huge version gap.
In order for it to work you need to set your CS2 as DHCP. To do this you go to SETUP/IP and then selecte auto/DHCP.
This way your router will set your CS2 address and the data exchange will start.
Be prepared for a long download (45 minutes) and multiple reboots. Be patient.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Janne75  
#10 Posted : 07 March 2020 12:14:47(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Janne

I strongly recommend to update your CS2 online. The reason is you have a huge version gap.
In order for it to work you need to set your CS2 as DHCP. To do this you go to SETUP/IP and then selecte auto/DHCP.
This way your router will set your CS2 address and the data exchange will start.
Cheers

Jean

Hi Jean

I already started this USB update process. I downloaded all files to the root of my 8Gb USB stick. It started to do this update. Lets see what happens... RollEyes

Actually I double checked what software version I had before this update process and it was something like 3.6.xx starting and not 2.43 . This 2.43 version was on different place next to that 60214. So my mistake it was already newer version than I thought. But good to get it updated to the latest version anyway.

Cheers,
Janne
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 07 March 2020 13:46:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Janne

Hope it works with USB. In difficult cases it is recommended (by Märklin) to do it one line and not through a USB stick.
The cleaning of your unit is better done that way
Cheers
Jean
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 07 March 2020 14:23:04(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Janne

Hope it works with USB. In difficult cases it is recommended (by Märklin) to do it one line and not through a USB stick.
The cleaning of your unit is better done that way
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean

It took me almost two hours to get my CS2 updated but all went well ThumpUp . Hardware version 4.33 Software version 4.2.9 (0).

Now I can see that cab view but I have to study how to operate it. I’m glad everything is ok now and next I will take our router to the train room and connect CS2 to Internet. I want to test those Main Station and Mobile Station apps. I found a old paper where I have written these network settings for my CS2:

IP (DHCP) 192.168.1.102
IP Net. template 255.255.255.0
IP gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 192.168.1.1
CAN
Broadcast 192.168.1.255

I hope I can get it going with these settings. RollEyes

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#13 Posted : 07 March 2020 14:59:04(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Yes!

Everything works now also Main Station and Mobile Station app train controlling. Now when I updated my CS2 I can see another benefit. Previous old software version I had showed wrongly mfx locos MM2 digital address. Now it shows it correctly.

It looks like this day will be a train running day for several hours and learning how to use that cab view. I started to run 37528 in normal mode with Main Station app and then clicked from CS2 cab view icon. It now moves but after a while loco stops even I have pantographs up and clicked that safety switch on the right hand side. Something is still not correctly set with this locos cab view. Maybe some other switch? It stopped and if I wanted to continue to run it I had to just use the normal mode not cab view mode. I’m such an amateur with these ”real” trains LOL .

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#14 Posted : 07 March 2020 16:49:17(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Now I know how to operate this electric locomotive with cab view. It is quite interesting but one bad thing is then the main focus for watching trains will go to watching CS2 cab control view. It is anyway nice to have this one electric loco with this cab view feature. I assume diesels are possible to control relatively easily with this cab view but steam locomotives must be very, very hard to operate if in pro setting.
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 07 March 2020 21:06:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

Now I know how to operate this electric locomotive with cab view. It is quite interesting but one bad thing is then the main focus for watching trains will go to watching CS2 cab control view. It is anyway nice to have this one electric loco with this cab view feature. I assume diesels are possible to control relatively easily with this cab view but steam locomotives must be very, very hard to operate if in pro setting.

Excellent, your mfx+ loco is runnning. ThumpUp

If you are looking for instructions for this cab forward "world of operations" mode:

https://www.maerklin.de/...pare-parts/instructions/

operation manual for your mfx+ loco with explosion drawings you find in Maerklin's database

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/37528

https://static.maerklin....388c01fe4e1489756273.pdf

https://static.maerklin....088cf0221d1464009275.pdf

P.S.: if you have a track box too do not forget to update not only your MS 2 although the box has to be updated.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline JohnjeanB  
#16 Posted : 07 March 2020 21:11:08(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Janne
I am glad you succeeded Bravo
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mkeigwin  
#17 Posted : 17 November 2020 23:02:31(UTC)
mkeigwin

United States   
Hi Janne

Cheers

Jean

Thank you for this post. I was in a similar situation (I hadn't updated the software for 5-6 years) and it was trouble-free with a direct ethernet connection. I updated it with a USB in the past but this was so much easier. I will do this again in the future.

Regards,
Mark