Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bph  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2020 16:41:47(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Here are some observations regarding Märklin insider locomotive and passenger wagon set 39781, 43141. I don’t have a permanent layout so I have just tested on a test track.
http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/39781_2.jpg

First of all, I’m quite happy about this set, locomotive and passenger wagon set is well-matched, and looks quite nice. I do like that the interior lighting is controllable from the locomotive decoder. I wish more models had that option. In my opinion, the interior lighting is a bit cold white.

http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/39781.jpg

The decoder is using a photocoupler/photorelay to supply current from the track, to supply the wagons. The initial wagon current draw is quite high. I measured a short peak at just above 4 A. So, it seems that there is installed some capacitors in the wagons. The continuous draw is around 0,025 A. (measured the whole wagon set.) I discovered this when I tested the passenger wagon set on another locomotive where the decoder feeding the current without a photorelay. Luckily the decoder protection worked. Wagon lights flickered some seconds before they came on. So, a warning: you may damage the decoder, if you use 43141 on locomotive where the power comes from a decoder without a relay. With a photorelay its possible to dim the output, but the 39781 wagons are not dimmable. With old analogue wagons lights, it’s possible to dim the wagons lights quite nice. (using decoder setup on a cs3).

http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/37112.jpg

The locomotive sound is what I would classify as standard Märklin sound quality, it's ok for my use.
The sound is an improvement to earlier P8/38 based models, the sound is a bit more balanced. And treble is toned down. Compared it to 37026 and 37028. It seems that 37026 and 37028 have the same sound files and they sounds similar. The 39781 seems to have newer sound files. Both 37026 and 39781 runs on a msd3 and both had firmware 3.2.1.0 when I compared them. When I opened the sound files in decoder tools it become clear that the sound files were different. I don’t have BR 78 so I cannot compare the sound with that class. F31 contains a German audio clip with information about the locomotive.

The smoke generator is a standard one and works ok. According to a thread on Stummis forum, the smoke generator is on a relay. https://www.stummiforum....=173995&hilit=39781, but actually it’s on a photocoupler/photorelay, giving dimming options. I do not observe any smoke improvements on the 39781, but that can be variations on the smoke generators. But dimming works. Read more about it here: https://moba-hgh.de/mode...g-jetzt-raucht-s-richtig
The tender coupler seems to be adjustable, but for me, it would not click properly in place in the inner position. In the normal position, it clicked nicely into place and the position holding was acceptable.
Normal position:
http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/39781_3.jpg

Coupler close up in normal position:
http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/39781_4.jpg

This picture shows almost in inner position but not quite, it slipped a bit out before the picture was taken.
http://www.hovland.net/bilder/mj/39781_5.jpg

Summary:
Good quality models, and many details.
Locomotive feels good and heavy, heavy tender.
The current-conducting coupler on the tender can be controlled digitally.
Nice yellow headlight.
Built-in smoke generator. (I think I addicted to locomotive smoke)
A lot of sound functions, decent sound quality.
The cab lighting is a bit to cool white.
passenger wagon set matches the locomotive vell
the wagons have built-in led, but a bit too cold white (in my opinion)
the figures are nice spaced around.
the car’s complement the locomotive nicely.

Have someone else tested the inner position and has experience?
Have someone opened the passenger car and could confirm the capacitors?

Edited by user 11 April 2020 00:33:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 11 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2020 18:33:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Here are some observations regarding Märklin insider locomotive and passenger wagon set 39781, 43141. I don’t have a permanent layout so I have just tested on a test track.

First of all, I’m quite happy about this set, locomotive and passenger wagon set is well-matched, and looks quite nice. I do like that the interior lighting is controllable from the locomotive decoder. I wish more models had that option.

Somewhere in a Maerklin manual I read the loco decoders have an own connecting solder pad inside. You may equip all your locos with this function. Maerklin provides this possibility. Of course you have to change for a conducting coupler at your loco too. But it is recommended only for 3 coaches in a row, because otherwise the power will not be enough to lighten all cars. This is the main reason I decided to give a block train with more than 3 coaches its own slider and decoder and not combining with the loco. I have the Lufthansa Express 26680 equipped with this connection of current provided by the loco decoder. For this 3 car block train it works very well.

Have someone else tested the inner position and has experience?
Have someone opened the passenger car and could confirm the capacitors?

No I have not tested it yet. I only bought the block train of "Donnerbüchsen".Love
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2020 19:17:41(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

First of all, I’m quite happy about this set, locomotive and passenger wagon set is well-matched, and looks quite nice. I do like that the interior lighting is controllable from the locomotive decoder. I wish more models had that option.

Somewhere in a Maerklin manual I read the loco decoders have an own connecting solder pad inside. You may equip all your locos with this function. Maerklin provides this possibility. Of course you have to change for a conducting coupler at your loco too. But it is recommended only for 3 coaches in a row, because otherwise the power will not be enough to lighten all cars. This is the main reason I decided to give a block train with more than 3 coaches its own slider and decoder and not combining with the loco. I have the Lufthansa Express 26680 equipped with this connection of current provided by the loco decoder. For this 3 car block train it works very well.

I was a bit unclear here, I wish for ready-made solutions from Märklin that can handle more load than standard aux, eg with a relay. In my 37112 I have added an extra function decoder for the wagon light and smoke generator.
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2020 22:51:35(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes I also found that the tender coupler mechanism to be a bit insecure.

Several times I have unintentionally disconnected the loco from the tender completely, it seems to slide right off. It slides back in together fine though and stays connected on the layout.

I haven't had a close examination of it though.

It's a great loco and carriage set, it took me a while to find a dealer that had both in stock so I could get them shipped together.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2020 00:39:54(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
Can someone please translate what they are saying in the sound played when activating F30 (sound 23)
(The decoder project is available in mDecoderTool)
Offline Crazy Harry  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2020 15:41:29(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Hi
Can someone please translate what they are saying in the sound played when activating F30 (sound 23)

During the shoveling coal sound the fireman says, "Oh dear." Then the engineer (I assume) starts swearing and says, "have you thrown the shovel into the fire again? You idiot!"

It is not high German, but some dialect, someone else may be able to identify what area that dialect is from.

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2020 16:17:43(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Hi

During the shoveling coal sound the fireman says, "Oh dear." Then the engineer (I assume) starts swearing and says, "have you thrown the shovel into the fire again? You idiot!"

It is not high German, but some dialect, someone else may be able to identify what area that dialect is from.

Cheers,

Harold.

Thanks, it's highly appreciated.
Fun little clip, but the dialect, was way beyond my very basic German knowledge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph