Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ivan  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2020 18:59:58(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Not being at home to test the locomotive on the layout, I tested some newly bought with DC (12 V).
They do run, but there was no light, so I returned one to the dealer who placed it on the layout and to my surprise lights were perfectly working.Now I have the same issue with 34988; the motor runs but there is no light.I feel embarrassed to go with the same issue to the dealer again (who accepted the return of the first loco,by the way,although it was nothing wrong with it).

My question is: is it normal for Delta decoders to have light function disabled when on DC ?
(An answer on another forum claims that some Delta decoders really behave that way, i.e. no light when connected to DC battery).

I will be back home to test it on my layout only next week and feel frustrated without knowing if the light works or not.
Thank you for clearing the issue.
(All switches on mouse piano are to be set to OFF in analogue mode,I am aware of that).
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2020 21:53:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Ivan Go to Quoted Post
Not being at home to test the locomotive on the layout, I tested some newly bought with DC (12 V).
They do run, but there was no light, so I returned one to the dealer who placed it on the layout and to my surprise lights were perfectly working.Now I have the same issue with 34988; the motor runs but there is no light.I feel embarrassed to go with the same issue to the dealer again (who accepted the return of the first loco,by the way,although it was nothing wrong with it).

My question is: is it normal for Delta decoders to have light function disabled when on DC ?
(An answer on another forum claims that some Delta decoders really behave that way, i.e. no light when connected to DC battery).

I will be back home to test it on my layout only next week and feel frustrated without knowing if the light works or not.

DC is "Direct Current", nothing else. A Maerklin loco does not run with DC, only with AC (= alternating current) transformed to digital current inside the loco.

Trix is running with DC transformed to digital current.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Ivan  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2020 22:04:43(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ivan Go to Quoted Post

DC is "Direct Current", nothing else. A Maerklin loco does not run with DC, only with AC (= alternating current) transformed to digital current inside the loco.

Trix is running with DC transformed to digital current.

I am fully aware of that.On the other hand,it is possible to test Marklin locomotives with DC battery.One wire to Schleifer another wire to wheels (Masse).The motor runs with Delta,even with newer decoders,but as I said and asked, it seems that in some Delta Decoders light function is not recognized when DC current is applied.
Meaning, motor runs but there is no light.
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2020 00:01:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Do what you think you need to, but I fail to see the point of testing a Marklin loco with a DC voltage. They are not meant to run on DC, and certainly the decoder will behave in an indeterminate way, if it does anything at all.

You seem surprised that the lights won't work, but actually I'm surprised that the motor actually ran!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Ivan  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2020 08:37:06(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Do what you think you need to, but I fail to see the point of testing a Marklin loco with a DC voltage. They are not meant to run on DC, and certainly the decoder will behave in an indeterminate way, if it does anything at all.

You seem surprised that the lights won't work, but actually I'm surprised that the motor actually ran!

Thanks a lot for the answer.The idea for testing locos with DC battery came from a collector who was buying very old Marklin at flea markets and used 9V DC battery to check if they worked.
I am far away from my layout, now far from the shop I bought the locos.
Although they were tested by the dealer,I just wanted to make sure everything was OK and the only way to do it was with DC transformer.
Older models run on DC, both motor and light,newer models,too.Only Delta decoders do not recognize light function.
Thanks again.
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2020 09:56:48(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Apparently some confusion here BigGrin

Older analog locos run on AC or DC, the motor is called an "Allstrommotor".

Older DELTA locos had the same motor, and you can test the motor with DC;
but this test doesn't show you if the decoder is working - and the light doesn't come on.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum