Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2020 02:08:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, I've had numerous locos from different railway companies such as DB, ÖBB, SBB, SNCF, SNCB, SJ, Italian, Norwegian and dutch railways and a few years ago deleted some of the locos by selling them off.
the reason behind it was to combine railway companies which have the capacity to travel through either these countries., e.g Germany-Austria-Switzerland or Switzerland and France.
not having a fiddle yard its an enormous effort to take off trains from different railway companies and than replacing them with other railway companies or running trains purely German, Austrian or Swiss and also keep them with in an Era which you can compromise by using such older Eras as special train excursions with current trains.
The other mammoth task is to program locos for the right track or siding, as not all of my sidings have the same length which make it more complicated having certain locos on certain tracks only., than there is the question of passenger and freight trains, longer and shorter trains; by the time you've filled in all the criterias most of the day is gone and than its time to make a video and if anything doesn't work out right, your day has gone, its time for dinner and your wife says to you: who are you ?

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline thing fish  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2020 08:32:25(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
John hi,

Exactly the same here ...

My solution was quite like yours; got rid of rest of the stock, and now I only have Swiss and German stuff. Geographically my choice is Zurich - Bayern where I can run most of my stock.

Now comes the era problem. Like you said some trains may run as "nostalgic excursion" trains. For the rest of them I decided to build the layout in three main 3-rail sections and a few (2 or 3) independent 2-rail sections in between them. 2-rail sections may even have dedicated trains that would run point-to-point as I don't have too many 2-rail stock.

This how I planned my layout so far. I'm moving to a new town soon and hope to buy myself a quite sizeable depot to be able to make this happen. We'll see ...

Cem.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2020 09:15:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: thing fish Go to Quoted Post
John hi,

Exactly the same here ...

My solution was quite like yours; got rid of rest of the stock, and now I only have Swiss and German stuff. Geographically my choice is Zurich - Bayern where I can run most of my stock.

Now comes the era problem. Like you said some trains may run as "nostalgic excursion" trains. For the rest of them I decided to build the layout in three main 3-rail sections and a few (2 or 3) independent 2-rail sections in between them. 2-rail sections may even have dedicated trains that would run point-to-point as I don't have too many 2-rail stock.

This how I planned my layout so far. I'm moving to a new town soon and hope to buy myself a quite sizeable depot to be able to make this happen. We'll see ...

Cem.

One point I'm up with most layouts is, I run my electric trains from the overhead system and this enables me to buy DC electric locos and why do I prefer DC locos to AC locos, the only reason is the drive axles are usually 4 instead of 3 with AC locos and this gives me more pulling power for my freight trains and also longer passenger trains.

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2020 15:18:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
John,

as you know, my collection is almost exclusively Swiss and international trains that run in Switzerland. As many of the consists are trains that can be found in neighbouring countries too, it probably would not be too difficult to substitute a DB, OBB or SNCF Lok for the SBB one to make a layout "German", "French" or "Austrian" for a period without changing all of the trains.

I guess it would not make sense to run an inland train (domestic) in another country, so you would need to have one or two spots where you can park a train or two or a connection to a storage track or display with storage possibilities (train safe, etc), so that you could swap out say a SBB EW Regional for a DB Silberling consist.

As far as DC vs AC, I think that what you gain from having additional powered axles is often lost in having fewer traction tires due to the need to obtain power from the wheels. Your setup takes power from the catenary, so that might make it easier. Have you ever considered using AC power from the rails and DC from the catenary, which would allow you to use both AC and DC models?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2020 02:14:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Mike, I do use AC and Dc trains, with DC electric locos I do get extra wheel sets with rubber tyres, most DC locos have all drive but most locos only have 1 wheel set with rubber tyres., some people have criticized my layout's catenary system using Swiss locos but running on a German overhead system., this has been another subject I had no control over, my initial loco stock was mainly Märklin and consisted mainly of German locos with a few Swiss locos and in those days (34 years ago) nobody seem to mind running different trains on the same layout, since than we got a bit more sophisticated and producing layouts either of a specific era or specific railway countries.
Over the years I got a liking with Swiss locos and the dilemma was either to take down the German Overhead system and replace it with the Swiss system but it wouldn't have mattered either way, there was no solution for it.,
In the end it is what it is, HOe from the Mariazeller Bahn, Bonn Hauptbahnhof and a German Overhead system.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109