Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline phernadi  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2020 09:59:42(UTC)
phernadi

Hungary   
Hi All,

I have a CS1 and I had the idea in my mind to upgrade to ESU version 3.0.0 . I have contacted with ESU and after several mails and a long discussion turned out the company can not help as the product and the transformer is not available to CS1 owners. They asked me to turn to distributors in my country but they said the same, product is discontinued.

Now I spend a lot of hours searching answers how I can upgrade my CS1 to 3.0.0 from 2.0.4 and then upgrade to the most common ESU version. And now I am here as I have not found out how I can obtain the 3.0.0 version. I turn to you if you have any idea to upgrade my fav CS1.

I think that ESU's answer that buy a new controller is not fair as they were published last update for CS1 last year and the software is there just need to send out to customer who wants to buy also the transformer of course, so it is ridiculous... :(

Maybe Is it possible to download the 3.0.0 package from somewhere? Transformer is not a problem I can gather one from my mates, also I have all updates except 3.0.0 .

Many thanks for your support and answers in advance!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2020 12:23:01(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: phernadi Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Is it possible to download the 3.0.0 package from somewhere?
The upgrade package with version 3.0.x consisted of a power supply (not a transformer), a stylus, a manual, an Ethernet cable, and a CD-R.
Theoretically this CD-R was custom-made for the serial number of the CS1, so I would expect that you cannot install version 3.0 with a CD-R that was made for another serial number.

ESU want money for the upgrade. They gave some hardware in a big box along with the license for the upgrade.
It would be nice if they still allowed the upgrade - by e-mail and without hardware.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2020 12:38:59(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Theoretically this CD-R was custom-made for the serial number of the CS1, so I would expect that you cannot install version 3.0 with a CD-R that was made for another serial number.

Maybe if you could change the serial number of your CS1, to one of an obtained v3.0 software update disk?

I know that I have re-used commercial software licences by changing the hard-disk serial number on Window PCs, many years ago...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline phernadi  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2020 13:30:51(UTC)
phernadi

Hungary   
Many thanks for the quick replies!

I have "dived" into the CS1 software and it is difficult for me to change the serial number. Also I don't want to kill my CS1..

My real problem is that the supplier namely ESU has the SW and HW to upgrade the device but somehow they don't want to sell it. Sales said that this product is retired few years ago but then I ask why did they published update last year if it is retired...? Very annoying.
So I think that changing the SN is not an option but this my opinion only.

Maybe that could be an option if someone has the upgrade disc but don't use the CS1 anymore and he would sell it...but I don't have better idea. CS3/CS2 is a bit expensive for me now and CS1 is really enough for me and kids playing with our Marklin trains.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2020 15:02:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: phernadi Go to Quoted Post
Sales said that this product is retired few years ago but then I ask why did they published update last year if it is retired...?
They no longer sell the ECoS 50000, but they still provide software upgrades and new features for the ECoS 50000. And the CS1 is an ECoS 50000 in disguise and it also gets updates. That's the good news.
Märklin's latest version 2.0.4 is slow, immature, and incomplete. They really let customers of the CS1 down very quickly. That's the bad news.

Even though ESU no longer sell the ECoS 50000, they could still support upgrading CS 60212 to the current version. They could, but they don't. Maybe it is not worth the effort for them as most likely only few people are interested in that option.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline phernadi  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2020 12:09:39(UTC)
phernadi

Hungary   
Thank you all! I have solved the issue, purchased a CS1 one with ESU upgrade 3.0.1 and transformer on a very, very low price so I will find an alternate way to upgrade my other CS1 :)
Offline phernadi  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2020 13:07:22(UTC)
phernadi

Hungary   
Another question: I have received the ESU CS1 with 3.0.1 version. It boots only when the RJ45 cable is connected, I mean it on the local network. Without cable does not boot. I can live with this. :)
But when I try to reach on my machine it cannot be discoverable. Checked the router and it does not show up on connected devices page. It replies to ping if I set IP, GW and NETmask.

I tried few things and now I have a new idea in my mind to reset back to factory settings, but I fear it will a Marklin firmware not ESU after factory reset.

What do you think? Do you have any idea why I don't see the device when it replies to ping?

Many thanks!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2020 00:44:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You could talk to Matt at ESU USA who had upgrade kits long after ESU in Germany had discontinued them.

I got my upgrade kit from Eurorailhobbies in Canada, and when the kit arrived there was no CD in the package with the v3 software on it. I ended up contacting Matt and he arranged for an ISO file to be loaded to an FTP server so that I could download it. I suspect he has the ability to key the software to a CS1's serial number.

In the root directory of the ISO file is a text file called cs.id which has just the serial number of my CS1 in it. You could easily change that file, but I don't know if the serial number is also embedded somewhere else in the software directory. I haven't tried changing it and seeing if it will apply to my two CS1's that are still at v2.0.4 as I want to use those CS1's as remote controllers to my CS2 for which v2.0.4 is needed.

Edited by user 15 February 2020 05:01:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline phernadi  
#9 Posted : 15 February 2020 15:29:45(UTC)
phernadi

Hungary   
Thanks for the quick answer! It seems I have figured out the issue. The previous owner broke the firmware upgrade so it was stucked at 3.0.1 with an issue, strange, CS1 was able to boot only when LAN cable plugged in. That was not a big issue, but when I tried to update the sw nothing appeared on my PC screen when I typed IP address in the browser, sometimes the menu appeared. With my friend found out the emergency mode and that works on 192.168.1.151 so I connected with my machine in same subnet through the router. First a reset and then a rescue mode was done which resulted the device was able to receive updates so I updated with a 3.7.0 . After that update the device worked without LAN cable and it was upgraded to 4.2.7 . One thing is weird: the RJ45 socket is installed rotated so it is not possible to pull out the LAN cable, possible only with e.g. a screwdriver...a bit annoying but I can live with it. :) Thanks for the quick help Guys!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 15 February 2020 21:16:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Ah, the old upside down network port problem. The early versions of the CS1 had network ports that meant the clip on the cable was jammed against the case of the CS1 and you had to use a screwdriver to get the cable out. Later versions had the port rotated so the clip wasn't obstructed and could be removed by hand.

I think one of my three CS1's has this problem, the other two are OK. You must have an early version.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mmervine  
#11 Posted : 16 February 2020 01:25:44(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Happy to hear that you were able to get this working and upgraded!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline bmc1275  
#12 Posted : 16 February 2020 15:12:44(UTC)
bmc1275

Japan   
I am sorry to jump in to the subject, as I have CS1 with 2.0.4 software and becoming quite desperate for the reloaded update but being in Japan does not help at all as virtually no info available in Japan. I have send an e-mail to Matthew in ESU USA and see what happens.
Also, I have two CS1 but one of them has got problem of mulfunctioning LCD. Ithink LCD is ok but touch function and display function has got a problem.
Do you know anyone who can fix this issue for me?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 17 February 2020 05:52:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: bmc1275 Go to Quoted Post
Also, I have two CS1 but one of them has got problem of mulfunctioning LCD. Ithink LCD is ok but touch function and display function has got a problem.

So the LCD screen is functioning OK, but you have a problem with the touch function, am I correct?

The touchscreens can have a problem with dust and dirt getting underneath the screen edge that forms part of the case. The dirt particles can get wedged underneath the edge, pressing down on the touchscreen which results in the touchscreen becoming unresponsive. Try getting a soft paint brush and clean any dirt and dust out from around the edge of the case and see if that fixes the problem. I had this happen with my 1st CS1 and it drove me nuts until someone on the forum (I think it was H0) suggested this as a fix.
Offline JVM  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2023 05:59:55(UTC)
JVM

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
You could talk to Matt at ESU USA who had upgrade kits long after ESU in Germany had discontinued them.

I got my upgrade kit from Eurorailhobbies in Canada, and when the kit arrived there was no CD in the package with the v3 software on it. I ended up contacting Matt and he arranged for an ISO file to be loaded to an FTP server so that I could download it. I suspect he has the ability to key the software to a CS1's serial number.

In the root directory of the ISO file is a text file called cs.id which has just the serial number of my CS1 in it. You could easily change that file, but I don't know if the serial number is also embedded somewhere else in the software directory. I haven't tried changing it and seeing if it will apply to my two CS1's that are still at v2.0.4 as I want to use those CS1's as remote controllers to my CS2 for which v2.0.4 is needed.

Would you please share the ISO file?