Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mike M  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2016 20:29:35(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Hi,
Does somebody have a fix for my 74491 left hand turnout.It is starting to fail on me,only works to the left on my CS2.Took it apart last night,but it looks different inside than the quick fix video I watched.Can I bridge the contacts the same way as the video shows?
Does Marklin have a replacement for these,I thought they where the newer models to replace the ones that continually broke down.

Cheers
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2016 01:39:57(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Mike M Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
Does somebody have a fix for my 74491 left hand turnout.It is starting to fail on me,only works to the left on my CS2.Took it apart last night,but it looks different inside than the quick fix video I watched.Can I bridge the contacts the same way as the video shows?
Does Marklin have a replacement for these,I thought they where the newer models to replace the ones that continually broke down.

Cheers

The newer versions that I have, have a microswitch at each end. I automatically jumper each of these across the outside terminals before I install them and have had no problems. The older versions that I have seen videos for only have one microswitch.
Offline Mike M  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2016 01:58:36(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike M Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Cheers

The newer versions that I have, have a microswitch at each end. I automatically jumper each of these across the outside terminals before I install them and have had no problems. The older versions that I have seen videos for only have one microswitch.

Thank you Peter, Is that the 74491 switch that you have?
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2016 15:47:59(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Yes I have both the 74490 and 74491.

If you do a Google search for Marklin 74491 you will get a number of photos and scrolling through those photos you will see one that has been opened showing the microswitch at each end. Those are the type I have.

If yours looks differently perhaps attach a photo to see what yours looks like.

Cheers
peter
Offline Mike M  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2016 15:54:11(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Thanks again That's the one I have
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2020 23:40:34(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
I bring up this old thread because as far as I am concerned, the problem with C track turnout mechanisms is still there.

These devices occupy easily the top position of my list of least satisfactory Märklin products ever. In my experience, even the newish versions suffer from the issue: I bought several new turnouts last autumn, and their mechanisms have already started to act up.

UserPostedImage

I no longer bother to finesse these devices: I just take the damned microswitches out entirely and connect the terminals.

Of course, the right thing to do would be to send the faulty units to Märklin to get a replacement: this would put pressure to Märklin to fix the issue at long last. Nevertheless, to do this, I would need quite a few replacement units to be able to continue running my trains while waiting for the replacements.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2020 11:41:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I is true that Märklin has erred on the subject but there is still a solution.
IMO, very old C Track switch motors (with only one switch) are much weaker (reduced pulling power) and must be replaced.
The newer one are fine if you use them in analog mode (16 VAC) or -in digital mode- if you bridge the contacts (in this case Märklin decoders do the switch off after a typical 200 mS.
On double switch crossings I found one source of problems being the motor wiring limiting the mouve of those long spring actuating the switches.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2020 10:39:46(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
There a very simple solution to this problem.

Pack up all your turnout motors (and your Marklin decoders) and send them back to Marklin to dispose of them. Then buy Viessmann 4568 Motor/Decoders and you won't have any more trouble. That's what I did and I haven't looked back.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2020 15:38:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
There a very simple solution to this problem.

Pack up all your turnout motors (and your Marklin decoders) and send them back to Marklin to dispose of them. Then buy Viessmann 4568 Motor/Decoders and you won't have any more trouble. That's what I did and I haven't looked back.

Yes indeed.
I'm seriously considering to follow the same path.
I suppose you can just use the feedback contacts of the 4568 to report the switch position back to the ESU ECOS
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye