Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2018 01:44:16(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Over the last couple of weeks I have been assembling the Faller B-160 engine shed 'Duderstadt'.
This was new in box of the kit B-160 which appears to have also been sold as Faller 194160 and 120160.

First stage of assembly, I decided on a couple of modifications:

First was to remove the plastic base where the track is laid. This allows me to remove the shed anytime without the track holding it down.

Second was to decide on the mortar colour for the bricks. The bricks come as a yellow colour which I was OK with. I had planned to go with white mortar but decided on a medium grey.
This meant painting all of the brick wall pieces first with the grey, then wiping the paint from the surface to leave the paint only in the cracks (mortar) and before the wood framing was glued on.

Here we see the mortar paint. The grey is not as subtle as I would have liked (maybe I should have gone white) or maybe too much remained on the brick surface.
Either way its too late now and it will still look good once the panelling is done and the kit finished.

IMG_2074.JPG

Here you can easily see the track sections removed from the base. It was a pain to do and made assembly a bit more difficult, but worth it.

IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG

Assembly continues, with the rear areas and the doors.

IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG

The kit is now finished. I glued magnets to help hold the roof down while still being removable. Servos will be installed later to control the doors.

IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG

The kit is now painted/weathered. Most work was done with an airbrush. I decided to match the vents with my roundhouse shed, so those were painted white.
I did a complete cover spray of clear lacquer to remove the plastic shine with a flat finish, since I was happy with the colours and didn't paint (which would give it the flat finish)
Various shades of red/brown, earth and black tones used and some dry brushing on the stone base, doors and panelling. Used some wash on the ceiling for the gutters.

IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG
IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline SNAFU  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2018 09:43:16(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
Looks good!
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
Offline GlennM  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2018 10:25:58(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Nice looking kit, I like the weathering job ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2018 18:52:49(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Great job.
What are these mats with ruled grid lines that I see you and others use for model building. Who makes them?
Thanks
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2018 22:30:04(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Huh ??
Faller B-160 is the container crane but apparently this number was later given to this engine shed.
Very nice build. ThumpUp
The weathering looks pretty good !

Marco
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Herrfleck  
#6 Posted : 27 June 2018 12:27:58(UTC)
Herrfleck

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Huh ??
Faller B-160 is the container crane but apparently this number was later given to this engine shed.
Very nice build. ThumpUp
The weathering looks pretty good !

Marco

Hello!

Yes Marco thats right.
But also the cityfountainen B 231 have B160 as a ready made model if I remember correctly....

The engine shed looks good, nice job!

Regards

Bertil.
- since my lack in english I don't write so much here.. but learn by trying right? :) -

//Bertil
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Herrfleck
Offline applor  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2018 02:09:57(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Thanks all for your kind comments. I need to touch up a couple of those smoke stacks and also the support poles for the rear brick smoke stack come off and I have re-glued them which has left ugly shiny glue spots - so I will need to re-paint those up too.

I will also mention that the kit comes with door hooks for connecting a door opening wire and also the frame supports have those large holes for the door opening rods to run through - and yet there is no mention in the instructions about them at all. The door hooks were completely omitted, yet they were included in the kit. A couple of down pipes were also included but not in the instructions - though looking at the manual on Faller websites it looks like they fixed that.
I have installed magnets to hold the roof down without glueing it, since I will be installing servos for the doors at a later date. That will be another challenge.

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
Great job.
What are these mats with ruled grid lines that I see you and others use for model building. Who makes them?
Thanks
Jabez

Pretty sure I picked mine up in BigW in their art and craft section - or maybe it was Bunnings. They are quite common.
It just gives me a flat area to assemble my kits on, I do my cutting etc. on an old kitchen chopping board.
I am sure the ruled grid lines will be helpful one day but I am yet to use them specifically.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Robert Davies  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2018 15:46:48(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Great job.
Thanks
Jabez

It was described as a cutting mat and is labelled "The Cutting Edge". I got mine from my local office supplies store.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 28 June 2018 17:52:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post
Great job.
Thanks
Jabez

It was described as a cutting mat and is labelled "The Cutting Edge". I got mine from my local office supplies store.

Cutting mat is the common description for them. You should be able to find one at pretty well any hobby store. In my experience they are always that shade of green, never seen them in any other colour.

If you don't have such a store near you then start looking in hand craft stores that sell fabric for patchwork or quilting. Another option is to go to a model railway or craft or quilting fair/show as there is almost certainly going to be a trader there selling them.

They are available in sizes ranging from A4 or A5 up to about A2 or A1, depending on how large the store is.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline ninobenve  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2020 00:56:12(UTC)
ninobenve

Argentina   
Nice job! Keep up the good work!