Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline compatty  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2020 01:52:06(UTC)
compatty

United States   
I am trying to select a company to finish my Marklin layout and provide really nice finishing touches for the landscape. The entire track system is in place, but needs to be tweaked.

I have communicated with some pricey options including Affordable Model Train Builders. They travel all over the country doing this and I have seen their work on YouTube. They charge $1800 per day, plus mileage from Tennessee, for a team of 3 people. Extra charges for this and that. My layout is not that large, but they are estimating 5-6 days of work, $12,000.

Does anyone have any suggestions, assuming I can't do this myself.
Barry
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2020 02:10:55(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
It is expensive, but in one week you have your dream layout.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2020 03:46:08(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
wow. If you are building a European style Märklin layout, you may also want to check if they have experience building with 3 rail and European landscape.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2020 18:57:55(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: compatty Go to Quoted Post
I am trying to select a company to finish my Marklin layout and provide really nice finishing touches for the landscape. The entire track system is in place, but needs to be tweaked.

I have communicated with some pricey options including Affordable Model Train Builders. They travel all over the country doing this and I have seen their work on YouTube. They charge $1800 per day, plus mileage from Tennessee, for a team of 3 people. Extra charges for this and that. My layout is not that large, but they are estimating 5-6 days of work, $12,000.

Hi assuming no electrical/trackwork this shouldn't be too hard to source. At the $600/day/per person as you were quoted I'm not going to label that totally crazy, although it is expensive in terms of simply spending a lot of money. What would worry me is them not completing in the time quoted - which even with a professional builder is a near-certainty.

Assuming it is scenery-only, I'd look up any local model RR clubs, even American HO or O scale modelers. The cheap route would be find folks with a great layout as proof they are capable (retired perhaps?) and work out a deal to have them do it, or them help you do it.

Assuming more than scenery- hire a professional who knows what they are doing. Everyone is an expert when $$ is on the table, but I can assure most of these folks simply are not.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Thewolf  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2020 19:03:35(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

Hi assuming no electrical/trackwork this shouldn't be too hard to source. At the $600/day/per person as you were quoted I'm not going to label that totally crazy, although it is expensive in terms of simply spending a lot of money. What would worry me is them not completing in the time quoted - which even with a professional builder is a near-certainty.

Assuming it is scenery-only, I'd look up any local model RR clubs, even American HO or O scale modelers. The cheap route would be find folks with a great layout as proof they are capable (retired perhaps?) and work out a deal to have them do it, or them help you do it.

Assuming more than scenery- hire a professional who knows what they are doing. Everyone is an expert when $$ is on the table, but I can assure most of these folks simply are not.

I agree and I add that the amount required requires guarantees to ensure that the work is carried out perfectly.

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2020 03:35:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: compatty Go to Quoted Post

Why shouldn't you do it not by yourself? I think you can. Another question is, if you would like it to do.

I myself are more interested building a layout but not really the landscape for it. Although I love to see them BigGrin. But it is just not my interest doing it by myself. I visitied at the IMA days of Maerklin a company (brima Modellanlagenbau GmbH) which is building complete layouts. Just see the link.

https://www.modellanlagenbau.de/

BTW they planned and built the total layout of the Porsche Dreamwork layout.

https://www.traumwerk.de/en/

I have visited it personally and I will go there again.Smile

Offline mvd71  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2020 08:37:54(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I tend to agree with the thought of join a local club and learn who is a capable modeller and the work out a deal with them. Sometimes beer purchases a lot