Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline doublereefed  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2020 19:19:31(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
What is the difference between a packwagen and gepackwagen?

I have seen the smaller 2 axle packwagen on freight trains. It looks like they are used for parcels and packages, and probably a guard or conductor would ride in them?

Would these larger 3 axle packwagen have been used as just the one van on a freight train? I only see them cut in with other 3 axle personnenwagen in videos and photos, etc. Just wondering if a 3 axle packwagen like this would have been used on a freight train.

Thanks!

-Richard

small gepackwagen.jpg
gepackwagen - 1.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by doublereefed
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2020 21:35:22(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: doublereefed Go to Quoted Post
What is the difference between a packwagen and gepackwagen?

Normally no one. In the German language both words are used synonymous for a car transporting passenger's luggage, but no freight.

I have seen the smaller 2 axle packwagen on freight trains. It looks like they are used for parcels and packages, and probably a guard or conductor would ride in them?

correct these cars were used at freight trains for a guard or conductor. Because of them the DB tested the BR 50 steamer with this cabin in the tender for the conductor. So they could quit this Packwagen on such freight trains, but still have a room for the conductor outside the steam engines.

Would these larger 3 axle packwagen have been used as just the one van on a freight train? I only see them cut in with other 3 axle personnenwagen in videos and photos, etc. Just wondering if a 3 axle packwagen like this would have been used on a freight train.

Thanks!

-Richard

I cannot remember having seen a 3 axle Packwagen at freight trains. I remember them in passenger trains only. But these 3-axle cars are the so called Umbauwagen. They were built or better converted after WW II because of the shortage of passenger cars at the DB. Nevertheless it could have been used for freight trains too, but because of the shortage of rolling stock at the DB probably not very often. Guess here are experts who know this in better and more details.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline doublereefed  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2020 22:06:58(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
TEEWolf, thank you very much for your reply. I've been looking around trying to find photos and it sure doesn't look like a 3 axle packwagen was used on freight. It makes sense that they would have been more necessary and in higher demand on passenger service.

I looked up the BR 50 class... that tender accommodation for the conductor is a really interesting and unique feature.

Thank you again for the reply.

-Richard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by doublereefed