Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline number655321  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2020 03:59:23(UTC)
number655321

United States   
As my topic suggests, my cs 60212 does not auto detect mfx. It is not through a booster but through feeder wire. It is a new locomotive, so it is not found in the list on the CS, and the locomotive is not responding to the supposed default address. The CS is updated to 2.0.4. I just bought this new old stock locomotive and need to see if it is defective before the insanely short return window closes. Thank you for any assistance.
VInce
Offline Legless  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2020 04:23:35(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Not all locomotives are stored on the CS.
You may have to connect to the modem and do a locomotive search.
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2020 05:45:00(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: number655321 Go to Quoted Post
As my topic suggests, my cs 60212 does not auto detect mfx. It is not through a booster but through feeder wire. It is a new locomotive, so it is not found in the list on the CS, and the locomotive is not responding to the supposed default address. The CS is updated to 2.0.4. I just bought this new old stock locomotive and need to see if it is defective before the insanely short return window closes. Thank you for any assistance.
VInce

Are you sure your new loco (which article # has it?) has a mfx decoder inside? If it has a mfx decoder inside you must not know the digital address and you will not find it in any list. The registration data is stored onto the mfx decoder.

At my MIST we use a CS 1 (art #60212). I bring all my brand new locos (last time in January 2020 with my E 17 37064) with me to let them run on a big layout. I never had any problem of registration the mfx decoders at the CS 1 with my new locos. It only always needs a tremendous long timefor the regsitration process. 5 minutes are not unreal. Perhaps you are to impatient?Smile The CS 1 is very,very slow.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2020 08:12:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
5 minutes are not unreal. Perhaps you are to impatient?Smile The CS 1 is very,very slow.
5 minutes sounds like an exaggeration.
The CS1 is not slow, but the old mfx protocol implemented on the CS1 is very slow. And new sound decoders with myriads of configuration options increase the time needed for registration.

If it has a mfx decoder inside you must not know the digital address and you will not find it in any list.
Locos with mfx decoder should register (and must register) automatically and then they can be found in the loco list of the CS1.

On this forum we probably have dozens of dozens of threads dealing with mfx locos that will not register automatically.

It is not uncommon for first-generation mfx decoders to have a defective mfx sender on the decoder. No sender, no registration, no operation. Manual registration impossible.
Sometimes there is an mfx hiccup and the standard recommendation is trying a different mfx controller (many people have a Mobile Station beside their Central Station). In the best case the new loco is the only rolling stock on the track when you try registration.

Vince, do you have a Mobile Station or do you have the chance to visit a fellow MRR enthusiast with another mfx controller?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline number655321  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2020 14:56:29(UTC)
number655321

United States   
I have an old mobile station that detects 1 of the mfx locos but not the other. The CS60212 now will detect 1 of the 2 mfx. I need to use a single long piece of track with feeder wire and have the wires in the program port on the cs 60212. The other locomotive is a new old stock 37084. The seller said it worked upon sale. So one MFX will load, it is just a pain. The other loc will not communicate with either controller. I fear I might have been sold a bad locomotive. Is it possible that shipment from Europe caused damage to the decoder?
Thanks for all your help,
Vince
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by number655321
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2020 15:09:44(UTC)
H0

Is it possible that shipment from Europe caused damage to the decoder?
The mfx sender on old decoders can overheat and self-destroy. Maybe it died long ago, maybe it died while you tried to register - maybe it is still OK, but there is another problem.
Not sure if that loco has an old mfx decoder (blue decoder PCB) or a newer design (green or red decoder PCB). I don't know if you are curious enough to open it up and have a look.

Any non-mfx controllers available that allow you to test the 37084 with MM protocol? MS2 can do it, MS1 or CS1 cannot do it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline number655321  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2020 16:38:22(UTC)
number655321

United States   
I know the box says that in shipment it went through x-rays. I doubt that they would design something that was not robust enough to go through x-rays. I have some emails in to local repair shops, local being within a 2 hour drive... Hopefully one will give me an opportunity to come out and run some diagnostics without hitting me with a fee. My railroading budget has gone through the roof recently and wife will not allow any more money on my hobby. Not for a while. Hopefully one of them have some good news.
Thanks,
Vince
Offline number655321  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2020 22:32:01(UTC)
number655321

United States   
Upon removing the tender cover the decoder was just sitting in the tender not connected. Not sure what way it goes but it does not match the manual diagrams.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by number655321
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2020 23:02:48(UTC)
H0

Not sure what way it goes
Forget the diagram in the manual.
There are 21 pins and there 21 holes and there is only one way to get each pin into the right hole. Look for the missing pin and the missing hole.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline number655321  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2020 01:15:03(UTC)
number655321

United States   
I got it in and working. The orientation is very counterintuitive; the sockets actually are on the top where it would seem they should be on the bottom. I got it working though. Just a bit concerning that it was that easy to dislodge and fall off.
Thanks for the support,
Vince
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2020 02:25:22(UTC)
TEEWolf

Upon removing the tender cover the decoder was just sitting in the tender not connected. Not sure what way it goes but it does not match the manual diagrams.

Do I understand it correctly. You have 2 mfx locos. One (article# unknown) is working, the 2nd is 37084. From this loco you opened the tender and the built in decoder was not connected together? Well, if the decoder is not connected it cannot work. Can you put the decoder together and try its function?

(post superseded - did not see the last post before my posting)
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2020 08:00:26(UTC)
H0

The orientation is very counterintuitive; the sockets actually are on the top where it would seem they should be on the bottom.
Counterintuitive is a friendly term.
The situation is complicated because other manufacturers use the decoders the other way around.
And even worse: if you install the decoder upside down in a Märklin loco, you cannot push it down all the way because one hole is missing, but the pins will make contact and the decoder will get damaged.
How could the QA department at Märklin approve something like that?

Now that your problem is solved. I once had a Märklin steamer, a BR 61, that arrived not working. The decoder was in place, but I had to push it down further to get it working again.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline number655321  
#13 Posted : 07 February 2020 15:51:48(UTC)
number655321

United States   

Do I understand it correctly. You have 2 mfx locos. One (article# unknown) is working, the 2nd is 37084. From this loco you opened the tender and the built in decoder was not connected together? Well, if the decoder is not connected it cannot work. Can you put the decoder together and try its function?

(post superseded - did not see the last post before my posting)

I had a myriad of issues. I have recently put together a decent layout surround a 60212. Neither of my MFX locomotives would register. To get the first unit to register, I had to remove the feeder wires from the layout and create a separate line of 3 tracks, where my CS would register the MFX locomotive. It was not easy as the manual states, as it only registered when I had the feeder wires in the programming track output. So after a bit of trial and error and resetting my CS and thus losing all my switches, I got locomotive 1 working. Locomotive 2, the initial problem locomotive, the 37084, would not register. I heard a rattle in the tender, assuming that perhaps some glue let loose and the speaker was not seated. Upon taking the tender apart I found the decoder board just sitting in there floating. I managed to get an idea as to how it would sit, but the diagram in the owners manual was not helpful at all. After some investigation and having my daughter cross her fingers for me, I successfully installed the decoder. Problem solved. Very annoying.
Thanks for your input and ideas in the matter
Vince
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by number655321
Offline number655321  
#14 Posted : 07 February 2020 15:55:39(UTC)
number655321

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The orientation is very counterintuitive; the sockets actually are on the top where it would seem they should be on the bottom.
Counterintuitive is a friendly term.
The situation is complicated because other manufacturers use the decoders the other way around.
And even worse: if you install the decoder upside down in a Märklin loco, you cannot push it down all the way because one hole is missing, but the pins will make contact and the decoder will get damaged.
How could the QA department at Märklin approve something like that?

Now that your problem is solved. I once had a Märklin steamer, a BR 61, that arrived not working. The decoder was in place, but I had to push it down further to get it working again.

I have never seen a board sit on another board where the receiver sits above the board, the board contacts the other board and the receiver is on the other side. But that's the way it sits and it seems that's the way it works.
Thanks for all your assistance in this matter,
Vince
Offline ocram63_uk  
#15 Posted : 07 February 2020 19:45:12(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I'd like to see a picture of this 'mating', if possible
Thank you
Offline JessePaakkari  
#16 Posted : 11 April 2020 08:41:31(UTC)
JessePaakkari

Finland   
My railroading budget has gone through the roof recently and wife will not allow any more money on my hobby

Just a sidenote: I know the feeling BigGrin - just about the same situation here ... And I am just "starting" my hobby...