Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2018 20:04:03(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I recently received the new 88203 V200 loco equipped with the new coreless motor and I have to say I'm very happy with it. I did have a small problem with the mecahnism jamming from time-to-time, but I was able to trace that to a small bit of flash getting into the gears of one of the bogies and once removed everything has been good. (Coincidentally, I was running a pair of recently acquired 80815 wagons this afternoon and noticed thatthey weren't running freely at all. I was able to track that down to flash in the bogie mouldings (the same side on all four bogies) and now that's removed they run as freely as everything else. This does all seem to call into question Marklin's quality control, though, which, until now I have expected to be second to none.)

Back to 88203, I am impressed with the new motor. It runs much more quietly than the 5 pole motor and, I feel much more smoothly. Slow speed running isn't enormously better than the previous generation, but is better, I reckon. When I had the loco apart, I noticed the motor is fitted with a flywheel, which may account, in part at least, for the improved running.

The only slight disappointment is that the cab windows are blacked out, in contrast to the Marklin's photos, but I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. I'm now looking forward to seeing what the coreless motor does for the running of 88742, when it is finally released. It's predecessor (88740) with the 5-pole motor is an already very smooth runner.

Edited by user 26 September 2019 22:33:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2018 20:21:38(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Thanks for the review.

Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
This does all seem to call into question Marklin's quality control, though, which, until now I have expected to be second to none.
In the past years many found that Märklin's quality control was best described as not existent.

For several years now the dealers are part of the QA chain. And many dealers forward that responsibility to the customer.
You resolved the issues and the QA chain worked.

Car axles not moving freely? Märklin's standard reply: Our locos are strong enough ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2018 20:47:16(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
]In the past years many found that Märklin's quality control was best described as not existent.

Car axles not moving freely? Märklin's standard reply: Our locos are strong enough ...

That is disappointing and not at all what I would have expected (though my experience is telling me otherwise, of course). Here in the UK, German quality is still a stereotype we subscribe to.

Marklin increasingly seem to be marketing their products as collectibles. Maybe I'm the only person who ever takes them out of their boxes!

Cheers

Chris
Jay
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2019 22:52:26(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I've been eagerly awaiting 88780 Class 218 diesel which arrived this week.

I've complained elsewhere that I'm not really satisfied with the 5 pole motor so I've been very keen to get my hands on this coreless equipped model.

My first impression was that it was heavier than its predecessors. It weighs in at 26g as apposed to the 23g of the earlier model, so whilst it is heavier I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed. The body is regular plastic, so the additional weight must come from the flywheel. Surprisingly, traction is poorer, though, despite the additional weight. I wonder if this is actually just an effect of new wheels and they'll develop more grip after a bit of use.

The loco is a lot quieter in operation than the 5-pole version and running generally smoother. I'm pleased to say the erratic speed that my 5 pole diesels suffer from is entirely absent from this model.

I can't say that the slow running is improved, though. It takes quite a bit of throttle to get it going (more than 88203 which gets going as soon as the controller is off the end stop) and the minimum speed is only slightly better than I'm used to.

A handsome addition to my fleet, though, and with a big enough improvement in running to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Hope this is of interest

Chris
Offline Bill Dickson  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2020 17:44:55(UTC)
Bill Dickson

United Kingdom   
I've been testing my new 88195 loco and have compared it with a BLS Re 465. I noticed that the new motored loco is much slower than the 2-pole motored 465. From this I deduce that new and old locos cannot double-head a train. Can others confirm?
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2020 23:11:43(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bill Dickson Go to Quoted Post
I've been testing my new 88195 loco and have compared it with a BLS Re 465. I noticed that the new motored loco is much slower than the 2-pole motored 465. From this I deduce that new and old locos cannot double-head a train. Can others confirm?

You're right that the characteristics of the coreless and 5-pole equipped locomotives are quite different.

I just tried a doubled headed train with my 88786 (5- pole) and 88780 (coreless) and didn't observe any problems. I suspect you might not get the same improvement in haulage as with two locos of the same type, but I don't see any other problems.

Hope that's helpful

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2020 04:26:57(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I wouldn't consider combining an older 5 pole or 3 pole loco with a new bell shaped armature loco. The power requirements are radically different. But if it works and the locos don't get hot and burn out prematurely then that's the owners business.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2020 21:12:59(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't consider combining an older 5 pole or 3 pole loco with a new bell shaped armature loco. The power requirements are radically different. But if it works and the locos don't get hot and burn out prematurely then that's the owners business.

That's a good point. I ran the combination for a few circuits of my layout - probably only about 5 minutes total - and at moderate speed. There were no signs of either locomotive labouring nor any signs of them overheating when I took them off the track, but the story may be different for more prolonged running at higher speed.

The locomotives I tested with and, I think, those of the original poster lose grip and wheel spin long before stalling the motor so I don't think there is much risk of damage under normal (moderate speed, non continuous) use, but I would advise anyone to proceed cautiously and check for signs of warm-running regularly initially. I'd hate for anyone's prized locomotives to be damaged!

Cheers!

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2020 22:45:51(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Also I am playing with DCC for my AZL modern loco’s. The DCC guys try to speed match their loco’s but in the case of an imperfect match they recommend putting the faster loco in front so it pulls rather than pushes. These loco’s have traction tires.
Offline parakiet  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2020 07:14:41(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I have the Rokuhan diesels. Pretty happy with them.

Ordered the br 212 and NOHAB new loco's.. can't wait to test em. Probably need to wait untill 03/2020 or even longer..