Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2020 04:48:38(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Ok fellow Marklinists
... I have been trying to work through the MFX faq repository and I am still a bit confused about the distinction in protocol languages...
so short of calling up a C3P0 for my protocol droid ... or sinking $1000plus into a CS3plus (which I don't plan on doing just yet)...

.... is it possible to do normal train functioning and sounds with DCC only system if the loco has an MFX decoder.
As I am not really interested in Cab control, I was hoping there was a work around of some sort
that could still run my MFX locos with the basic sound, delay and speed options while using a control unit that only has DCC with no MFX capabilities.

Am I asking for a fantasy?

What is the actual relationship or exclusivity between the two kinds?

Thank you all in advance.
If there is a post I am overlooking, your kind direction toward that post will be appreciated.

Signed, ... slightly confused,
Mark Five.

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2020 07:08:16(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Newer Mfx engines/decoders also support DCC. There is a symbol, ”DCC decoder”, indicating this on the Märklin site, e.g.:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39520/

Here is an Mfx example not having this symbol:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39250/

So, the 39250 engine can not be controlled by a DCC only control unit.

Glare

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Mark5  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2020 07:25:38(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks PeFu...

So you believe that the normal functions say speed and some basic sounds of early MFX decoders would not be recognizable with DCC.
However these basic functions are recognizable with a 6021 CU... What do we call protocol that a 6021 uses?

Mark Five
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2020 08:39:17(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks PeFu...

So you believe that the normal functions say speed and some basic sounds of early MFX decoders would not be recognizable with DCC.
However these basic functions are recognizable with a 6021 CU... What do we call protocol that a 6021 uses?

Mark Five

6021 supports only MM protocol.
In mfx locomotiv there is also MM protocol.
Control Unit 6021 do have 5 functions to control 5 first digital function of the digital locomotive.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2020 10:40:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
That is not true - no matter how often you repeat this nonsense.

MM, DCC, SX, and mfx are different decoder languages and theoretically you may find any combination of those languages in a single decoder.
Practically some combinations have not occurred yet (like e.g. decoders with mfx only).

Some mfx decoders also support DCC and can be used with DCC only controllers, some do not support DCC.
Some Märklin locos support DCC even though this is not mentioned in the catalogue/product database.

Some mfx decoders also support MM and can be used with MM only controllers, some do not support MM.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2020 11:01:04(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Some mfx decoders also support MM and can be used with MM only controllers, some do not support MM.

Are there really Mfx decoders out there, that don’t support MM also? Unsure

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2020 11:04:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Are there really Mfx decoders out there, that don’t support MM also? Unsure

Yes, can be found in Trix locos. Can potentially be found in converted or modified Märklin locos.
If you see "mfx" without "MM" in the loco description you cannot blindly assume it also supports MM.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2020 15:31:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks PeFu...

Mark Five

6021 supports only MM protocol.
Control Unit 6021 do have 5 functions to control 5 first digital function of the digital locomotive.

The other part that Goofy did not mention is that for items with more than 5 available functions it is possible to use up to 4 MM consecutive addresses to access up to 16 functions (plus the F0 function). I believe this is true of all mfx items that have lots of functions, and there are some MM only items that do this (notably the 37990 Big Boy was the first IIRC).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2020 17:36:40(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
think of the different protocols like human languages. Some people can speak only one language and others can speak multiple languages.

If your controller and the decoder have a common protocol they can work together.

If you get a controller that supports DCC and MM, then you can run locos that support DCC or MM or both.

Very old Märklin decoders supported only MM. (6080 and Delta, etc.)
Other decoder manufacturers supported DCC and MM (Eg ESU)
Other controller manufacturers supported MM and DCC (and also Selectrix) (Eg Uhlenbrock Intellibox, ECoS I think)
Then mFx arrived on the scene, some manufacturers support it, some don't.
Some decoders support MM, DCC and mfx but there are no venn diagrams that can be relied on. I suspect that all Märklin decoders support MM. Some also support DCC, some also support mfx, some also both.

DCC is dominant worldwide and across brands.
There is nothing in MM that is to die for.
There is nothing in mfx to die for.

I think you have some existing MM equipment (6021, 6050 etc.) that will drive decoders that support MM only. If you are buying a new controller, I would say DCC support is critical, as you can use most decoders. Support for MM would enable you to control old locos with MM only decoders without having to upgrade the decoders to DCC ones.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2020 19:27:38(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
I would say that all locos that Märklin have delivered with digital decoders (Märklin Digital, Delta, fx, mfx) support the MM protocol. For backward compatibility at least. So a ”pure DCC” controller may work on the newer mfx locos, but not all. A minimum requirement for a controller on a Märklin layout is that it ”speaks” MM. Also if you install a decoder in a Märklin loco MM is a must. But DCC and mfx are both better than MM. More speedsteps, more functions. So a second language in the controller and decoder is always an improvement.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 01 February 2020 22:19:33(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
if you install a decoder in a Märklin loco MM is a must.

Not tue. If one has a controller that handles DCC, there is no need (nor advantage) for the decoder to support MM.

Dale
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2020 11:52:37(UTC)
Goofy

MM, DCC, SX, and mfx are different decoder languages and theoretically you may find any combination of those languages in a single decoder.
Practically some combinations have not occurred yet (like e.g. decoders with mfx only).

Some mfx decoders also support DCC and can be used with DCC only controllers, some do not support DCC.
Some Märklin locos support DCC even though this is not mentioned in the catalogue/product database.

No it is not correct!
In fact i did tested to use Märklin with DCC protocol and they works fine.
MM can also be use if you have CU 6021 to drive mfx locomotive.
Märklin digital locomotive support mfx, MM and DCC.
You have possible too by connect CU 6021 with the new digital system via terminal 60145 and Connect-6021 60128.
In this case locomotive decoder must support MM too.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2020 14:19:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

No it is not correct!

What is not correct in H0s posting? He clarified the bit about some mfx items not having MM in a subsequent post, so what is not correct?

Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 02 February 2020 14:58:12(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

What is not correct in H0s posting? He clarified the bit about some mfx items not having MM in a subsequent post, so what is not correct?

Read my comments and also Märklins digital locomotives manual.
It stand MM as third priority.
You can also disable mfx protocol to use DCC or MM protocol.

H0
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 02 February 2020 17:04:41(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quite amazing that Goofy must have tested all locomotives made by Märklin since MFX was introduced.......... LOL

Per

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline franciscohg  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2020 20:08:08(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
More amazing is to had all of them working in DCC...... LOL
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 03 February 2020 00:24:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Goofy is right on this occasion though! All Marklin mfx locos will also work in MM.

HO's comment about Trix locos is a red herring, as we are clearly talking about a Marklin set-up if we are using a 6021 to control it.

How about we cut people some slack?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 03 February 2020 00:52:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Maybe we should say that Goofy is generally right but there are one or two exceptions, and leave it at that.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Mark5  
#19 Posted : 03 February 2020 05:53:53(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Ok Gentlemen
... how about I complicate the issue with a related problem to solve: I run a number of Roco locomotives as well as Marklin digital locomotives. ... would there be a way to control parallel systems with one controller? I would like to have a two rail line running next to three rail line and it would be nice to run them all centrally.

Imagine that I had a dead block connecting the two so that my Marklin live catenary loving locomotives that have a slider removed can run on both circuits. Do you think I am courting disaster thinking about doing this?

I guess what I want to understand is this:
is there really any fundamental difference as long as the controller can speak all languages concerned .. AND... I don't foolishly run any 3 rail/slider locomotives into and out of the dead section at top speed. The dead track section would be too to allow this to happen... of course if I got sloppy and left the power on it could occur....

We can all disagree and still love each other.
I appreciate continental frankness. :)

Peace,
Mark Five

By the way, I am currently only run analog and then digital with a 6021 (as Dale said) but I picked up an untested MS1 today... with no ugly box track section unfortunately.
If anyone has one they can part with I will buy it.
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 03 February 2020 07:03:13(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post

(** Removed **)

Märklin do have multi protocol new generation decoder.

Edited by moderator 03 February 2020 20:35:31(UTC)  | Reason: Removed an insult that added nothing to the topic

H0
Offline PeFu  
#21 Posted : 03 February 2020 07:07:00(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
... how about I complicate the issue with a related problem to solve: I run a number of Roco locomotives as well as Marklin digital locomotives. ... would there be a way to control parallel systems with one controller? I would like to have a two rail line running next to three rail line and it would be nice to run them all centrally.

If your control unit delivers sufficient protocols, this is no problem. Your mobil station, CS3 - or whatever - neither care if there are 2-rail or 3-rail engines running, nor where they are.

Imagine that I had a dead block connecting the two so that my Marklin live catenary loving locomotives that have a slider removed can run on both circuits. Do you think I am courting disaster thinking about doing this?

Yes you are, unless you also change the wheels of your catenary driven Märklin engines. Else, this could be a sparkling event...
Offline PeFu  
#22 Posted : 03 February 2020 07:19:59(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   

(Removed)

Goofy, In an earlier post, you mentioned that:

You can also disable mfx protocol to use DCC or MM protocol.

This comment could easily be interpreted as if the statement is valid for all old Mfx decoders too, even those that obviously don’t support DCC. Our fellow forum members were not late to catch this dog bone... Cool

Edited by moderator 03 February 2020 20:36:33(UTC)  | Reason: Removed quoted insult that added nothing to the topic

Offline thing fish  
#23 Posted : 03 February 2020 08:35:44(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
... I don't foolishly run any 3 rail/slider locomotives into and out of the dead section at top speed. The dead track section would be too to allow this to happen... of course if I got sloppy and left the power on it could occur....

He he he ... just keep the dead track long enough ...

Actually I don't see no problems on your layout running your sliderless Marklin locos over two rail section via cantenary. It's only a question of feeding power and commands to the locos; decoders don't care how.

Cem.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline thing fish  
#24 Posted : 03 February 2020 08:37:36(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
By the way, I am currently only run analog and then digital with a 6021 (as Dale said) but I picked up an untested MS1 today... with no ugly box track section unfortunately.
If anyone has one they can part with I will buy it.

I think I have one somewhere. I'll check and if it's still there it is yours at the cost of shipping BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline Purellum  
#25 Posted : 03 February 2020 10:21:28(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Maybe we should say that Goofy is generally right.........

LOL Laugh Love

Per

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#26 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:00:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: thing fish Go to Quoted Post
... I don't foolishly run any 3 rail/slider locomotives into and out of the dead section at top speed. The dead track section would be too to allow this to happen... of course if I got sloppy and left the power on it could occur....

Actually I don't see no problems on your layout running your sliderless Marklin locos over two rail section via cantenary. It's only a question of feeding power and commands to the locos; decoders don't care how.

Cem.

Hi Cem, you have to be careful not to feed power to the 2 rail tracks at the same time, as the Marklin locos will short it out.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline thing fish  
#27 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:09:55(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cem, you have to be careful not to feed power to the 2 rail tracks at the same time, as the Marklin locos will short it out.

Yes, that's right Ray!

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:27:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Maybe we should say that Goofy is generally right.........

LOL Laugh Love

In the context of this topic, to be clear......
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Mark5  
#29 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:34:32(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: thing fish Go to Quoted Post

Cem.

Hi Cem, you have to be careful not to feed power to the 2 rail tracks at the satme time, as the Marklin locos will short it out.

I would work in first a manual switch over of power and some kind of relay with sensors so computer knows which power is where. Has to have some kind of fail safe. Then power to rails changes when used for marklin electric loks so both rails are ground/return/brown.... Or resort to K track where both are isolated. But i want to use peco with proper concrete ties....but not sure if ties are prototypical...(another thread)

Mark Five
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#30 Posted : 03 February 2020 20:42:42(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
if you install a decoder in a Märklin loco MM is a must.

Not tue. If one has a controller that handles DCC, there is no need (nor advantage) for the decoder to support MM.

In my opinion - I should have stated... I would never put a decoder that is DCC only in a Märklin loco. Just because there should always be a possibility to run the loco on other people’s layouts as well. I have a CS3 now and I run locos on MM, DCC and mfx. But there is usually no reason to buy DCC only decoders as they have about the same price and performance as a decoder with MM/DCC.

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline franciscohg  
#31 Posted : 03 February 2020 20:52:51(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   

(** Removed **)

Yes, but only in the last years, so the vast majority of Maerklin mfx decoder will still NOT work in a DCC environment.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline costing  
#32 Posted : 03 February 2020 23:05:11(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   

(** Removed **)

Yes, but only in the last years, so the vast majority of Maerklin mfx decoder will still NOT work in a DCC environment.
Regards

Very true, only mSD/3 & mLD/3 support DCC. I had to swap out the older generation mSD's from some locos to make them DCC compatible. Check carefully the manual to have the DCC logo somewhere or be prepared to pay the price of an aftermarket decoder.

There is no relationship between DCC, mfx, 2 and 3 rail. A 3 rail loco or wagon will cause a short on 2 rail systems. Unless you replace all wheels with DC wheels and run ESU locos that can pick up the current either from each side (2 rail / "DC" mode) or all wheels+center (3 rail / "AC" mode). From all other producers they come in either DC or AC. And while DC locos can be relatively easily be converted to AC by adding a slider under a boogie and tying the wheels together, AC locos are much harder to convert to DC because of the solid axle.
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by costing
Offline H0  
#33 Posted : 04 February 2020 00:51:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post
AC locos are much harder to convert to DC because of the solid axle.
Some modern Märklin locos have axles of solid plastics and conversion to two-rail operation is fairly simple. For example hobby locos like TRAXX and Hercules.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#34 Posted : 04 February 2020 01:13:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Regards

Yes, since 2015 you only get the multifunctional new decoder generation mLD/3 (= Märklin Loco Decoder) and mSD/3 (Maerkln Sound Decoder) from Maerklin.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ducts/new-items/decoder/

(see the video too)

Also of interest

https://www.maerklin.de/...n/Leitfaden_online_E.pdf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Mark5  
#35 Posted : 04 February 2020 04:49:03(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post

There is no relationship between DCC, mfx, 2 and 3 rail. A 3 rail loco or wagon will cause a short on 2 rail systems. Unless you replace all wheels with DC wheels and run ESU locos that can pick up the current either from each side (2 rail / "DC" mode) or all wheels+center (3 rail / "AC" mode). From all other producers they come in either DC or AC. And while DC locos can be relatively easily be converted to AC by adding a slider under a boogie and tying the wheels together, AC locos are much harder to convert to DC because of the solid axle.

Hi Costing,
Thanks for the feedback and comment...
...While I do appreciate what you are saying about shorting with Marklin wagons on two rail ....

...Actually,....There certainly is a relationship between MFX/MM and DCC, and 2 rail and 3 rail:

First there is the obvious.. they are both decoders protocols for train locomotives.
Obvious but important, since both can be run from one controller.

When using Digital 3 rail and 2 rail, both run with DC, not AC, as I understand... in that the decoder converts the power when DC is not supplied.
Which is why the new power adapters for Digitial only feed DC power into the track.
You do still need AC for the analog of course.

Also the both 2 and 3 rail would also share at least one rail as a common ground.
If you should simply shut off one of the rails and used live catenary, a sliderless locomotive would run identically weather it was wired for 2 rail or 3 rail,
as the feed or positive induction rail is the catenary line.

So ... I see quite a few relationships between 2 and 3 and MM and DCC that can be played with ...
...along with the whole history of different decoders are others have mentioned above and their multiprotocol functions.

Calling them Marklin digital "AC" locomotives is a bit of a misnomer,
since its more about the way the DC power is fed to the loco by the rails 2 or 3, slider or wheels.

Oh... and I run my Roco 2 rail passenger cars on the C-track all the time.
The issue for changing the wheels if I want to run them with greater effectiveness on Marklin rail is more about the 0.4mm (or ?) size difference between the rails and the flange size of the wheels that can make my Roco 2 rail cars more likely to derail on Marklin switches than the bigger (not-so-prototypical) Marklin flanged wheels with another spacing. BTW Does anyone know the exact size difference and is the rail distance slightly narrower or wider?
I think Ray mentioned this to me several years ago.

Still thinking of changes Roco wheel sets to Marklin when possible. .. for the above reasons and to increase conductivity for K-track especially.

Feel free to correct my errors with continental frankness.
Cool
Peace
Mark Five.
Offline costing  
#36 Posted : 04 February 2020 07:33:00(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Absolutely, "AC" vs "DC" terms are nowdays completely misleading. Both mean digital of some kind (with minor variations of the protocol that makes some them incompatible). I don't get it why the manufacturers stick to these terms any more. They should simply say "3 rail" and "2 rail" instead, which is exactly the only thing "AC" and "DC" describe lately.

As for the physical transport of current, all implementations actually have 2 wires. Newcomers are again mislead to think that "3 rail" and "2 rail" are incompatible while in fact is the same signal is used in both physical implementations and only where one wire goes is different.

I think we are all trying to translate these terms and their implications to newcomers all the time. What this repeating process shows is simply how bad the manufacturers are at transmitting the information. They should simply change the icons and logos right away.

Because there are indeed cases when DC actually means DC (and to be even more confusing it can be transported on 3 rails too ...). A digital decoder will understand the plain DC power (no digital signal modulated on it, just different voltage that comes based on the controller / throttle / transformer setting) and act according to its setting (running at proportional speed to the voltage or breaking).

Anyway, I totally get it, it was not easy to start down this road. But for me was easier after I disentangled signal type from transport medium. And subsequently converted all locos to DCC :)
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by costing
Offline H0  
#37 Posted : 04 February 2020 08:12:30(UTC)
H0

BTW Does anyone know the exact size difference and is the rail distance slightly narrower or wider?
The difference is with the guard rails beside the frogs of turnouts. With Märklin H0 the gap is bigger to allow large flanges.
With Piko or Liliput I reduce the wheel spacing by about 0.2 mm. I do not modify the wheel spacing with Roco or Fleischmann wheel sets as those work flawless on my C track. Adjustment might be required for M track and the 0.2 mm mentioned may be insufficient for M track.

A minimal adjustment makes the wheel sets compatible for Märklin C track without making them incompatible for Trix C track. Full adjustment to the often recommended 13.8 mm will make them incompatible with Trix C track. I like the idea of having universal rolling stock that can run on Trix C track when needed.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#38 Posted : 04 February 2020 14:09:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Just to complicate the issue slightly, digital "AC" locomotives will work with traditional analogue AC controllers (Don't use the old blue ones though!), and digital "DC" locomotives will work with analogue DC controllers. The converse is sometimes true but not always.

It's also true to say that 3 rail does not always mean AC, as older 3 rail systems such as TRIX Twin and Hornby Dublo were DC.

Perhaps today a better label would be "For Marklin System". Some manufacturers actually use this as it covers track type, electric current type and wheel standard.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline DaleSchultz  
#39 Posted : 04 February 2020 14:44:55(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
please don't confuse the current that is fed to a DC motor from a digital decoder with the current in the rails that feeds the decoder.
Some digital decoders (such as Märklin 6080) provide current to an AC loco motor. Newer decoders have DC output and expect a DC motor (with permanent magnet).

The rail current in digital operation is never DC nor is it AC. It is a square wave digital signal akin to AC in that it swings from positive to negative very rapidly.

Correct: the number of rails used has nothing to do with the nature of the electricity. People simply associate 3-rail with AC because historically, Märklin was distinct in using AC and was also 3 rail.
Dale
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 04 February 2020 15:39:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
Some digital decoders (such as Märklin 6080) provide current to an AC loco motor. Newer decoders have DC output and expect a DC motor (with permanent magnet).
The 6080 feeds pulsed DC to the motor. The old Märklin motor is an AC/DC motor (Allstrommotor in German) and works well with DC.
And it is easy to connect a modern "DC" decoder to such an AC/DC motor provided you disable the load regulation.

Modern decoders require a DC motor with a permanent magnet (or a motor that behaves like one) to make the load regulation work.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#41 Posted : 04 February 2020 17:30:55(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
This leads me to the question I discussed with Dale in Springfield. (a bit off topic sorry but...) What would be the best up to date decoder for the best price to install in my old Marklin 60s-70s loks with 3 pole motor?. How much of an advantage is there going for 5 pole,...cost becomes an issue as quantity increases...but obviously I want most effective way of near total digitization.

Offline rbw993  
#42 Posted : 04 February 2020 17:34:39(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
A historical point. There was also 2 rail AC. In the USA this was used by Gilbert/American Flyer trains. They converted from 3 rail AC O-gauge to 2 rail AC S-gauge after WW II.

Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline H0  
#43 Posted : 04 February 2020 18:04:25(UTC)
H0

How much of an advantage is there going for 5 pole
You need a permanent magnet for load regulation and you get a permanent magnet if you go for the c90 motor (60941/3/4).
Load regulation makes a big difference.
3-pole vs. 5-pole makes no big difference if you have a good decoder and if both motors have load regulation.

Going for the ESU "HAMO" magnet surrogates could be an option. In my experience the results are quite good for DCMs, but vary a bit for SFCMs and LFCMs. So maybe try two locos of each type for evaluation before converting the whole rooster.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0