Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MikeyZ  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2020 22:09:39(UTC)
MikeyZ

Canada   
Good afternoon,

This topic looks to quite quiet of late; thought I'd see if there is still interest. BigGrin

I'm recently retired and live in Ilderton just north-west of London, Ontario.
I've always loved model trains and was fortunate enough that my grandfather sent parcels every Christmas when I was a child as he disassembled his post-war Maerklin set up in Bavaria. As a child my father and I built this up in Scarborough where I grew up though the layout was never completed.

The layout was later resurrected - at least partially - at my fathers home when I had children of my own; again it was never completed. For 30 odd years I lived in an old century home with a damp, low-ceiling'd basement so setup was out of the question. With additional time on my hands now and a newer dry basement I've restarted my interest in this hobby.

I have some 16 locomotives of the older analog 30xx line and lots of rolling stock; all my track is M track. For the time being at least I'll leave everything running in analog mode. The layout I've begun is entirely new as the space I have available didn't suit the previous setup. To date the track is down and I'm beginning the scenery and topography. A great deal of my time has been spent simply cleaning and reviving the 50+ year old equipment.

M. Zeeb
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by MikeyZ
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2020 23:45:44(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Welcome to the forum! I guess you will be quite busy to make all those old locos run fine again one your new layout. I'm sure it will be great fun!
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline MikeyZ  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2020 00:53:40(UTC)
MikeyZ

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
Welcome to the forum! I guess you will be quite busy to make all those old locos run fine again one your new layout. I'm sure it will be great fun!

Thank you Martti!

Here is the beginnings of my layout:

M. Zeeb
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by MikeyZ
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2020 01:10:43(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Thanks for sharing! Very nice layout and lots of classic locos and cars. Did I see some 4036 cars at the end of the video?
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline MikeyZ  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2020 01:43:01(UTC)
MikeyZ

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for sharing! Very nice layout and lots of classic locos and cars. Did I see some 4036 cars at the end of the video?

Yes Martti, I have 4 of the 4036 wagons (three of them with interior lighting).
I've also just made the first Maerklin ebay purchase in years to aquire a matching 3035 locomotive so I don't need to pull them with a DB or SBB lok'!! All my equipment is of era III.
Offline Roland  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2020 23:46:48(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Welcome to the forum, MikeyZ. There are several of us also in Ontario (Mississauga, Oakville, Toronto, Barrie, etc) and across Canada. Always great to see another Märklin fan and fellow Canadian joining.

Cheers
Roland
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline Mark5  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2020 05:11:57(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MikeyZ Go to Quoted Post

I have some 16 locomotives of the older analog 30xx line and lots of rolling stock; all my track is M track. For the time being at least I'll leave everything running in analog mode. The layout I've begun is entirely new as the space I have available didn't suit the previous setup. To date the track is down and I'm beginning the scenery and topography. A great deal of my time has been spent simply cleaning and reviving the 50+ year old equipment.

Hi Mikey,
Welcome to the Forum,
Thats a great way to start back in!
I was in the exact same situation with my set in a steam trunk for 35 years... and only 3 analog locos to start. ... but i loved and still love the live catenary that went with it.

The nearest suitable hobby stores I know of to you is in Toronto:
Mike at Westend Trains, Johns Photo and Hobby...
and not sure if Georges Trains still has any Marklin,
but my Dad used to buy all our stuff there when I lived more your side of the country as a kid.

Cheers,
Mark Five

PS. Went back and watched your video... Just reminded me how much fun M track can be with the basics.
So easy to get caught up with collecting too much stuff and not running the trains you have. Thanks for putting that up.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline MikeyZ  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2020 06:09:45(UTC)
MikeyZ

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MikeyZ Go to Quoted Post

Hi Mikey,
Welcome to the Forum,
Thats a great way to start back in!
I was in the exact same situation with my set in a steam trunk for 35 years... and only 3 analog locos to start. ... but i loved and still love the live catenary that went with it.

The nearest suitable hobby stores I know of to you is in Toronto:
Mike at Westend Trains, Johns Photo and Hobby...
and not sure if Georges Trains still has any Marklin,
but my Dad used to buy all our stuff there when I lived more your side of the country as a kid.

Cheers,
Mark Five

PS. Went back and watched your video... Just reminded me how much fun M track can be with the basics.
So easy to get caught up with collecting too much stuff and not running the trains you have. Thanks for putting that up.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
I'll post more updates as I get going with all this.

M. Zeeb