Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#51 Posted : 02 February 2020 15:07:25(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Why should it be hard to find new customers?

Confused

It's a shrinking market, isn't it? Try to find people under 40 who want to start spending money on MRR items. Today's typical father with young kids would have the plan vetoed by his wife. Mr Sieber claims in Märklin TV 103 that Märklin has found new, younger customers, but I don't think he's talking about large numbers.

Best regards,
Mark

No the real problem are limited economy due to costs.
Interesting ones exist but not money.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline David Dewar  
#52 Posted : 02 February 2020 15:09:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Anything new is mainly a present for young kids who after a while go on to something else. Model rail is a slowly shrinking hobby but will at least last long enough for those on our site. I expect small manufacturers to give up with Marklin Roco and Piko being the only ones left of any note. Firms like ESU with their decoders and controller should be OK. However as they say .. make hay while the sun shines.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Rwill  
#53 Posted : 02 February 2020 16:31:32(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
It is odd and interesting how to introduce new people to the model railway hobby. My layout is definitely in the lower category – no real scenics but quite an interesting track plan and a variety of random kit permanently placed on the layout. Because it is in the “dining room” downstairs, visitors quite often get to see it whether they want to or not. The reaction is split almost 50/50 between those who pity my poor wife for having to put up with her eccentric husband and those who had no particular prior interest but quickly become enchanted. A while back my daughter brought home the latest “prospect” a young banker whose annual bonus equated to “a lot of money”. He just sat on the stool in the dining room for over an hour grinning and mumbling his new found desire to own a model railway. I thought I would be commissioned to acquire and build his dream – however a couple of weeks later my daughter announced he was now “toast” – end of. The grandkids love to come and look at “Gandads railway” and I notice they appear to have greater interest and concentration on this rather than the many and varied things they are brought for Xmas and birthdays However I do not think my son will buy them a start set and I always dread that my stuff will end up in a big box either in the loft or at a car boot sale after I have gone
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline PhillipL  
#54 Posted : 02 February 2020 17:08:09(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Anything new is mainly a present for young kids who after a while go on to something else. Model rail is a slowly shrinking hobby but will at least last long enough for those on our site. I expect small manufacturers to give up with Marklin Roco and Piko being the only ones left of any note. Firms like ESU with their decoders and controller should be OK. However as they say .. make hay while the sun shines.

Unfortunately I have to say I agree with you. Many things are changing rapidly besides just the model railroad hobby. Just look how hard it is to find a regular (non-Apple) clock radio. Try to find cameras (even digital) in places like Sam's Club or Costco, only Costco in my area even caries them with limited choice of two models from the same manufacturer. Heck you have to go online to buy most compact discs these days and printed books.

Nearly every hobby store within 50 miles of my home have closed (three closed in the last five years). Gone are the days when you could go into a hobby store, see an item (such as a locomotive) and have it tested in front of you. Now a days you have to look at a manufacturer photo on a website and hope it is not flawed or damaged when it arrives.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline Mark_1602  
#55 Posted : 02 February 2020 20:04:14(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
In Germany, MRR is still more popular than in English-speaking countries, so I don't think it will disappear. It will be a niche hobby for some upper middle class people, their kids or grandchildren. I have two sons now. Maybe I can get at least one of them to take up this hobby.

Edited by user 23 February 2020 09:01:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline baggio  
#56 Posted : 23 February 2020 17:44:00(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I would never buy a Marklin loco by mail.

My concern is being stuck with a loco that does not work properly. That is why I have bought all my locos from Mike here in Toronto (and 99% of anything else made by Marklin).

In this context, I still remember buying a set of digital turnouts and before walking out with them Mike, of his own initiative, tested them out. Sure enough, they did not work. One little yellow cable was put in the wrong place. Mike fixed it in a nano second. But for me it would have taken months to have the problem fixed by Marklin.

On other occasions, the loco either did not work properly or failed just a few months after purchase, necessitating a new motor. Again, all dealt with by Mike fast enough.

So, for me, Marklin still has to improve greatly their quality control if they expect to sell their products by mail and keep customers satisfied.

I doubt Marklin will do that any time soon.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline RayF  
#57 Posted : 23 February 2020 18:10:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I would never buy a Marklin loco by mail.

My concern is being stuck with a loco that does not work properly. That is why I have bought all my locos from Mike here in Toronto (and 99% of anything else made by Marklin).

In this context, I still remember buying a set of digital turnouts and before walking out with them Mike, of his own initiative, tested them out. Sure enough, they did not work. One little yellow cable was put in the wrong place. Mike fixed it in a nano second. But for me it would have taken months to have the problem fixed by Marklin.

On other occasions, the loco either did not work properly or failed just a few months after purchase, necessitating a new motor. Again, all dealt with by Mike fast enough.

So, for me, Marklin still has to improve greatly their quality control if they expect to sell their products by mail and keep customers satisfied.

I doubt Marklin will do that any time soon.

...and yet, of my collection of around 180 locos, many of them bought by mail, none have ever failed to work properly from day one! Even if the next one I receive doesn't work I will still have had a high percentage of locos that worked perfectly.

It's all very well to say you would never buy by mail, but what would you do if there were no hobby shops at all within driving distance? If we all decide that we won't buy anything by mail the hobby would end tomorrow!

Unfortunately in today's world more and more trading is on line and we have to accept that that's how it is.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#58 Posted : 23 February 2020 19:15:03(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It's all very well to say you would never buy by mail, but what would you do if there were no hobby shops at all within driving distance?If we all decide that we won't buy anything by mail the hobby would end tomorrow!

For me, the decision is clear: I would not buy a Marklin loco by mail.

For you, it's easier: You are able to do open heart surgery to a loco. I can't do that. So a defective loco is a major hassle.

In this context, I would stick to Roco analogue. These locos seem to work well from day 1. At least that has been my experience.

Offline David Dewar  
#59 Posted : 23 February 2020 21:11:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Buy all my Marklin locos and coaches and CS3 etc by mail and never had a problem. If I did I have no doubt that the dealer would fix it and send I understand a pre paid label to return the item. Years ago I had a signal that did not work and the dealer sent a new one and told me to keep the one that did not work.
In the UK we do nor have any Marklin dealers who hold reasonable stock at a fair price so mail order for me is the only way.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Thewolf  
#60 Posted : 23 February 2020 22:02:24(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
It's all very well to say you would never buy by mail, but what would you do if there were no hobby shops at all within driving distance?If we all decide that we won't buy anything by mail the hobby would end tomorrow!

For me, the decision is clear: I would not buy a Marklin loco by mail.

For you, it's easier: You are able to do open heart surgery to a loco. I can't do that. So a defective loco is a major hassle.

In this context, I would stick to Roco analogue. These locos seem to work well from day 1. At least that has been my experience.

Hi Baggio Cool

Do you know the proverb: ''Never say fontain, I will never drink your water''?

Baggio, you're shouting that you'd never buy a loco in the mail.

I'm going to show you by A to Z and by 1 + 1 = 2 that what you're claiming is absurd.

Your dealer is Mike from Westend Trains.

My dealer since 2012 is Mike from Westend Trains.

I have lived in Montreal since 1998 and for the last 2 years, I have been in Longueuil. Soon I will be in Saint Mathias sur Richelieu.

95% of my train supplies come from Mike, 5 hours drive from my home. Everything comes by mail.

So if I follow your reasoning, I would have to make the trip by car, which would result in a crazy increase in the cost of my hobby.

I'd then be forced to give up the trains and play... Barbie dolls or Gi's little soldiers...

Have nice evening

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#61 Posted : 23 February 2020 22:10:46(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Or we move to the suburbs of Toronto, 5 kms near Mike's store

Life and rents are more expensive , my wife quits her job, ,,, is not entitled to unemployment because she will have resigned,

I will be forced to sell all my Marklin equipment...to pay bills until my wife finds a job...all this bullshit to avoid the job of Post Canada

In this case, doctors will have to lock me up for insanity !!!

Thewolf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline baggio  
#62 Posted : 24 February 2020 01:31:57(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to show you by A to Z and by 1 1 = 2 that what you're claiming is absurd.

What claim? That I would not buy Marlin locos by mail?

It's not a claim: It's a fact, for me.

For you, be my guest. It really makes no difference to me one way or another what you do.

Have a good Sunday, whatever is left of it.

Offline Thewolf  
#63 Posted : 24 February 2020 02:02:56(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   

What claim? That I would not buy Marlin locos by mail?

It's not a claim: It's a fact, for me.

Baggio Cool

And if Mike closes his store, what are you gonna do?

You'll buy North American two-rail (many 2-rails stores at Toronto) and sell your three-rail equipment.

And what will you do if one of your three-rail locomotives breaks down and Mike is gone? You drive with your car to Marklin's in British Columbia or you go to the States?

Will that be a fact?

Thewolf
Offline PJMärklin  
#64 Posted : 24 February 2020 04:34:31(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
I would never buy a Marklin loco by mail ...

...and yet, of my collection of around 180 locos, many of them bought by mail, none have ever failed to work properly from day one! ...

me too ! (but only 71 locomotives)BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline baggio  
#65 Posted : 24 February 2020 07:42:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
And if Mike closes his store, what are you gonna do?

My Piko loco.jpeg

Realistic-STA-76-AM-FM-Stereo-Receiver.jpg
Offline mvd71  
#66 Posted : 24 February 2020 07:53:00(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I had a conversation many years ago with a gentleman who had owned an run a model shop for many decades. He said that his target customers were mostly guys over the age of 40. He said he had very few customers between the age of 25 and 40 because that was when people were generally getting married/mortgaged/children, and as such had no disposable income.

So new younger customers for Marklin probably would the 40+ year olds who are getting into the hobby, and maybe some grandchildren of older people.
Offline river6109  
#67 Posted : 24 February 2020 08:52:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
When will we see our first environmentally friendly loco or carriages ? and what will happen with all the add on plastic parts., or suitable for children from age X, the first thing children do is pick up an item and see if there is anything they can remove and than they'll put it straight into their mouth., so the recommendation for children from an age upwards of 3 is out the window., may be the colour of your transformer has to have the colour green and not blue., when will it be a discriminated offense to produce locos for one country but excluding certain other countries, at what rate will the older generation drop off the model train radar or when will see a dramatic drop in purchases ? or is the older generation buying more locos just in case there is no tomorrow ? How many people die of a heart attack when they find out their investment isn't as high as they thought.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109