Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2020 07:08:22(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone, I needed a bit of a hand with some engine CVs if possible. My father has a 3511 Class C (faulhaber motor) which at some point was upgraded to digital with a factory decoder, and not the top speed pot on that decoder failed.

Anyhow, I installed a Lokpilot 4 tonight, and have the locomotive almost entirely sorted except one thing: A huge jerk to get moving, and a huge jerk right at the end of the speed curve before stopping

Do you guys know what might cause this? (it isn't mechanical), or which CV's I can play with to eliminate it? I have it running wonderfully from low to high speed and back, it is just the initial start and the final stop that gives this irritating jerk.

Thanks in advance!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2020 10:05:18(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi!

Try and adjust CV55 as mentioned in the ESU manual:

11.1.2.2. Parameter „I“ Parameter „I“, stored in CV 55, provides important information to the decoder on how much inertia the motor has. Motors with large flywheels naturally have more inertia than smaller ones or coreless motors. Adjust parameter „I“ if the locomotive jerks somewhat just before it stops or „jumps“ at lower speeds (lower third of the speed step range) or simply does not run smoothly.

Increase the value by 5 starting with the default value for motors • with very small or no flywheels. Reduce the value by 5 starting with the default value for motors • with large flywheels. Test again and repeat this procedure until you arrive at the desired result.

Or alternative you could try the automatic calibration which is also mentioned in manual.

Below is the recommended settings for a faulhaber motor with a lokpilot decoder V4:

Motor type Remark CV 2 CV 51 CV 52 CV 53 CV 54 CV 55 CV 56
Faulhaber® motor 4 0 32 140 80 50 255

Good luck and best Regards
Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline pederbc  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2020 12:03:55(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

Thelokpilot 4 has function to automatically set the motor parameters. You will need a1-2 meter straight track, place the lok and set cv54 to zero (0). Then press the F1 and the lok will run away in full speed for about a meter. It will measure and set the values. I have done it a couple of timesand worked fine.

You’ll find the info in the manual on page 47 (at least in my manual😎)

Best luck, Peder

Also, on the previous page you will find a list parameters for different motors.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2020 19:44:52(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

The table in the manual showing the "faulhaber settings" was ok, but not great. So then I went to plan B: automatic adjustment

The automatic adjustment was better, but still not great. Tuning CV's starting from there has done a lot, and I have only this strange "lurch" left, at the same point in initial takeoff and final stop.

CV55 seems to have done the job! I tried it before, but to no avail. Recommended value was 50 as per the table you have all seen, and the fix was just at 5. (literally- HUGE difference) I hadn't tried anything so dramatic last night...

Thanks again everyone, I guess patience prevails!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR