Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pclancy  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2020 22:08:24(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Dear members:

OK, it's been 50 years since I messed with my Marklin train set. Here's a set of the most basic of questions. Note I have both C track and M track.

1) My 5131 (new in box) M feeder track has little round metal prongs at the end of each red and brown wire. They don't fit in the red and brown receptacles on the 6646 transformer. Do I take the prongs off, strip the wire a bit and then fit them in the transformer? What are the round prongs for?

2) When I opened the box after decades of storage, The transformer (6646) had a little circuit board thingie spliced in between the red/ brown wires coming out of the transformer. Wires coming out of the other side of the circuit board connect to connectors which are not round, but more like little shoe type connectors. Was this for C track?

3) Is there a special C track feeder track you need to buy? What does this little circuit board do?

4) I understand you need an additional M feeder track every 7-8 pieces of track; is that true? How do you connect the additional feeder track to the transformer?

Sorry to be so clueless; it's been a while and I can't find simple idiot proof instructions.

Thanks for your help!

Peter

Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2020 23:15:33(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Some answers:

1) The prongs were used to connect directly to older type transformers. You can remove the prongs and insert the wires directly in the transformer, as you said. What I have done, nevertheless, is to connect little wires with corresponding female prongs in the transformer, and then connect the male and female prongs together. See below.

UserPostedImage

Nevertheless, these older type of plugs are no longer easily available. It is more practical to switch to the modern ones: Stecker- und Muffen-Packung. They are mechanically superior anyway.

2) For this I have no answer. If the circuit board comes from 50 years ago, it's certainly not for C track which did not exist then. I leave this for others to answer, but I would just remove the circuit; probably it's not really needed.

3) To connect C tracks to power, you need these parts: Flachsteckhülsen. Fit them to a cable, insert them under the track, and connect the other end to power source. You will need a lot of these.

4) For this, I use these parts: Verteilerplatte. You can connect the transformer to this thing, and split the connection for 8 other cables. In the picture, I have connected the red cable from another transformer to the right side of the splitter, and three other cables to route the power to three targets. (The picture shows an old-style splitter for the older type plugs. The principle is the same. I can use the older plugs as well as I have plenty of them.) You are likely to find it useful to have at least half a dozen of these things for splitting the red, yellow, and brown connections across the layout.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2020 09:47:20(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
On your point 4 you don't need a feeder every 7 or 8 bits of M track, indeed if the connections between bits of track are OK it is surprising how far you can stretch it. On a 3 metre long loop I would start with 2 and then see where the 'weak spots' are.
Offline pclancy  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2020 13:37:41(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
I highly appreciate the great answers. You guys are great to give me a bit of your time. So far, I have constructed a simple oval out of M track and so far, no dice. That is, no power to the M feeder track (which was new in the box). I have tried several different locomotives. I think my first step is to see if the transformer is putting out power. There is no light or anything to indicate if it is working. I suppose I need to check if there is power at the red female outlet on the transformer, no? Any idea how one can do that? Do I need to buy a volt meter?

This will be a long education process. Is there not an idiot's guide to setting up a Marklin layout? A troubleshooting guide?

I suppose I will need some sort of splitter if I am to connect more than one M feeder track. Anyone know the part number?

And then, given the distances between the splitter and the second or third feeder track, I assume that you should solder the wires that need to be connected rather than just twisting them together with electrical tape?

Sorry to be taking your time with such basic questions.

Thanks!
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2020 23:12:52(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
To test the transformer, you could simply attach a cable without any plugs at the each of the red and brown terminal clips, turn a locomotive belly up, and touch the current pickup shoe with the cable coming from the red clip and one of the wheels with the other cable. You should definitely see some action.

Make sure that the cables are properly connected to the transformer; it is very easy to insert the cables so that the clips touch only the insulating cover of the cable rather than the conducting wires. See Anleitung.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2020 01:47:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
OK,

let's start from the beginning...

1) Remove the red and brown plugs from the feeder cable. This can be done using a jeweller's screwdriver. Once the screw has been loosened, you should be able to pull the cables out of the plugs. On some feeder tracks, the cable ends had been soldered. On others, the wires may simply be intertwined.
2) Insert the red wire into the red terminal clip at the rear of the transformer. Make sure that the wire is inserted so that the bare wire is gripped by the metal grip of the terminal.
3) Repeat the same procedure with the brown wire, plugging it into one of the two brown terminals available at the rear of the transformer.

Your transformer should now be connected to the track. You can now set the transformer to '0' and plug it into the AC.

Place a locomotive or coach with lighting on the track and then increase the voltage from 0.

If you want to test the track, a coach or car with lights is probably the safest way to check.

If you want to test a locomotive, I would take 4-6 straight sections and attach to the feeder track so that you have a sufficient length to accelerate and decelerate the locomotive.
If there is no movement or lights, if you have additional feeder tracks, you can test using a different one.

I would not set up anything elaborate until you have figured it out. For a small oval, you should be able to run without additional feeders. Adding distribution strips and extensions just makes it more complex.

Here is the instruction manual for the 6646: https://static.maerklin....7710ffb3b91489747431.pdf

The 5131 was a feeder track with a condenser (to prevent electrical noise). You could also try a 5111 if you have one of those.

To test the transformer, I would recommend connecting it to a power bar with an on/off switch for safety.
You can test the yellow/brown accessories terminals using a light bulb (20VAC) or even using the track if you can shut it off using the on/off switch on the power bar when the locomotive starts to move. Do not leave a lighted car or locomotive at full voltage for any extended period of time.

Regards

Mike C
Offline pclancy  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2020 23:50:09(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Dear Mike C and others:

Thanks for the detailed and extremely helpful guidance. I am pleased to report that I have a small oval working. My first transformer was bad, as when I hooked up the second one (identical to the 6646 except it is 220V--I use a step up transformer) everything works. I also tested the first one with a volt meter per Eckert's guidance and could not get any readings. So I am tossing the first transformer.

I notice that many of my m tracks seem to have small dead spots. If you run the loco fast enough, it powers right through them but at slow speeds it hangs. I assume there is a you tube video somewhere on cleaning and repairing m tracks?

I think track repair and maintenance is next on the list, no?

I am moving to France in 3 weeks and I will ship all my Marklin gear with me and hope to set up a more elaborate track there.

With many thanks for all the help and in the hopes that you hang with me as I take the next steps.

Peter

Offline GaryTrooper  
#8 Posted : 30 January 2020 13:30:00(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: pclancy Go to Quoted Post

I notice that many of my m tracks seem to have small dead spots. If you run the loco fast enough, it powers right through them but at slow speeds it hangs. I assume there is a you tube video somewhere on cleaning and repairing m tracks?

I think track repair and maintenance is next on the list, no?

Cleaning the track sounds like the next step to me.

Have fun in France and enjoy your restart of this fun hobby.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato