Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2020 20:29:35(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hello, I hope someone can help.

I am visiting Frankfurt this weekend and am hoping to visit at least one model shop whilst I'm there. I'd be grateful for any recommendations and, specifically, for any that have a good selection of Z scale (and preferably some second hand, too).

I have found the two official Marklin stockists (one of which is quite close to where I'll be staying) but I'm a bit unsure as to how mch of a selection they'll have.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2020 23:21:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Chris, I had a quick look on the website and found this model train shop

https://www.meder-frankfurt.de

It does mention used z-gauge so you should have some luck

it amazes me over the years how many shops have closed down in Frankfurt, it must have had an impact on model train fans buying stuff via the internet.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2020 23:34:21(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Chris, I had a quick look on the website and found this model train shop

https://www.meder-frankfurt.de

It does mention used z-gauge so you should have some luck

it amazes me over the years how many shops have closed down in Frankfurt, it must have had an impact on model train fans buying stuff via the internet.

regards.,

John

Thanks John,

That place is quite close to where we're staying, so I'll definitely be paying a visit!

All the best

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline veloboldie  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2020 23:49:14(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I hope someone can help.

I am visiting Frankfurt this weekend and am hoping to visit at least one model shop whilst I'm there. I'd be grateful for any recommendations and, specifically, for any that have a good selection of Z scale (and preferably some second hand, too).

I have found the two official Marklin stockists (one of which is quite close to where I'll be staying) but I'm a bit unsure as to how mch of a selection they'll have.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

There is a store in Muehlheim am Main but you will need to take a commuter rail (S8-Bahn in direction of Hanau Hbf). Here is the website of the store https://www.maerklinstore-muehlheim.de/.

Pictures are on Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x47bd110d5ead5d99%3A0x6db532cfd6938a8e!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOoBFwdHRWVNjf1Qf3okOIOH-Dc0NIEhanyS14h%3Dw213-h160-k-no!5sRoman%20Hahn%20Dieselstr.%2011%2063165%20M%C3%BChlheim%20am%20Main%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCAESAggF&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipP_Kr9WwOijMTUrSKkFbC9Amv2-HggvqZoAg8LT&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwvZS97KTnAhWHmHIEHadFBCEQoiowCnoECA0QBg

Also, attached is the RMV network plan RMV-Schnellbahnplan.pdf (505kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2020 00:36:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I would also recommend the store in Krefeld which is not too far away from Frankfurt am Main. I don't know how much Z gauge they have but they certainly have second hand HO, as well as new stock, so may well have Z as well. I don't have the address handy, but found it on the Marklin dealer search pages. I think you would be able to use public transport to get to it if you don't have a car.

Offline veloboldie  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2020 01:08:23(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
Deutsche Bahn_ bahn.de - Verbindungen - Verfugbarkeit.pdf (283kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

Or for 158 Euros round trip, you could take an ICE train to Muenchen in the morning and visit Gleis11 Gmbh shop on Platform 11 in the train station. They have a good selection of Z scale Marklin, Noch, Faller and Vollmer products and the staff speaks English and is very helpful.

(see here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gleis11+GmbH/@48.1399098,11.5549286,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc3f16b638cbdd941!8m2!3d48.1399098!4d11.5549286

Then grab a beer and lunch and catch the 6 pm ICE train from Muenchen back to Frankfurt (see attachment) and be back at 9:00 pm.

The website for German Railways is bahn.de. Click on the English version.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2020 22:31:35(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Frankfurt for a wedding, so I have limited time to go exploring, but I may have time for a short rail journey.

Munich is definitely out of the question, but I often find myself in Munich in May for the High End Audio show, and we usually stay near the station and Gleiss 11 (which I have seen but never visited) so I'd hope to make time for a visit. In case it's of interest, there is also a Marklin franchise in a nearby department store which is worth a visit.

Thanks again

Chris
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2020 06:04:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Frankfurt for a wedding, so I have limited time to go exploring, but I may have time for a short rail journey.

Munich is definitely out of the question, but I often find myself in marklin-users.netch in May for the High End Audio show, and we usually stay near the station and Gleiss 11 (which I have seen but never visited) so I'd hope to make time for a visit. In case it's of interest, there is also a Marklin franchise in a nearby department store which is worth a visit.

Thanks again

Chris

Do not go to Krefeld. It is 250 km away from Frankfurt/Main. Also there are cities before like Wiesbaden Mainz, Köln, Düsseldorf They are much bigger than the midsize town Krefeld. It does not make any sense to go there.

Search via the Maerklin website store locator

https://www.maerklin.de/...tore-locator/?no_cache=1

Plenty of dealers in the so called Rhein-Main-Area. It is the area from Mainz via Wiesbaden, Frankfurt, Offenbach to Hanau. Pretty big cities but always connected by various public transportation systems, mainly the S-Bahn.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2020 15:48:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Munich is definitely out of the question, but I often find myself in marklin-users.netch in May for the High End Audio show, and we usually stay near the station and Gleiss 11 (which I have seen but never visited) so I'd hope to make time for a visit. In case it's of interest, there is also a Marklin franchise in a nearby department store which is worth a visit.

Thanks again

Chris

Do not go to Krefeld. It is 250 km away from Frankfurt/Main. Also there are cities before like Wiesbaden Mainz, Köln, Düsseldorf They are much bigger than the midsize town Krefeld. It does not make any sense to go there.

Aaaargh, you are correct, I was thinking he is going to be based in Cologne Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing

But despite what you say the store in Krefeld IS worth going to when in that area.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2020 22:47:07(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi,

To conclude on this topic, I didn't make it further afield, but I did get to Meder. It's actually a small department store, but the model department is quite impressive. As far as Z scale is concerned, they had pretty good selection of new stuff and quite a bit of second hand/old stock (I'm not sure which - it looked new) including lots of well-priced track pieces. I didn't buy anything, but I was tempted by quite a few bits and pieces. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton