Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2020 23:08:12(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Background: I use reed with magnets under the cars to operate signals and switches. On my passenger route I have 10 reeds controlling the hidden yard and around 10 other reeds to operate signals and traffic control. For the steam, electric and diesel locs I use the 7558 magnet and for the ICE I use the 7556.

In testing the hidden yard there is one location where the reed does not activate the programmed action. But this only occurs for the ICE. . I have done the following in attempting to identify the issue and resolve.
- I pass a freight car over the reed and it activates the programmed routine - so the reed works
- I pass the ICE over the other reeds and each one activates - so the 7556 does activate reeds

This suggests the reed in question is 'weak'. So I replaced the reed (I have 2 spares) and the above still occurs. The 7558 activates the reed but the 7556 does not. This suggests the 7556 is of borderline strength

Next, I held a 7556 and passed it over the reed (literally brushing the reed). It activated the reed. This suggests the 7556 is not strong enough. I have placed 1, 2 and 3 7556's under the ICE (side by side) and still no success. Very puzzling and only thing I can think of is that a stronger magnet of same dimension (thickness) is needed. The dimension of the 7556 is 10x5x1.5 mm (the 1.5 is key.) In inches, 25/64x3/16x1/16

Does anyone know of a supplier who has this dimension and the magnet being stronger than the Marklin item. I don't know the strength of the Marklin item.

Thanks
Harvey
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2020 00:31:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I use reflective opto couplers which are place between sleepers of K-track and the pick up shoe activates the pulse., sorry can't help you with magnets.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2020 10:55:09(UTC)
Copenhagen

I take it that you already have studied the manual - but nevertheless:
https://static.maerklin....2df8923c341512382720.pdf
Offline Harvey  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2020 15:51:48(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I searched for ideas on how to increase the strength of a magnet. Simply rub a stronger magnet against the weaker magnet. I will try this with the 7558, against the weaker 7556. Likely will require a bit of rubbing. Seems like an activity while watching TV.

Harvey
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2020 17:20:47(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I too use magnets for activating the reed switches for my Rocrail block sensing. Unfortunately like you, I have found in most cases the Maerklin magnets are too weak if mounted as suggested and usually have to go to the next size up in order to get satisfactory functioning. However, in some cases especially near a curve they just do not function reliably.

In most cases I have switched to the Promag Neodymium magnets available from Michaels in North America. They come in 2 sizes and are very strong and in my experience if mounted properly are 99% reliable. Heed the warning if small kids are around. These can be deadly if swallowed by a small child.

Peter
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2020 19:36:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I searched for ideas on how to increase the strength of a magnet. Simply rub a stronger magnet against the weaker magnet. I will try this with the 7558, against the weaker 7556.Likely will require a bit of rubbing. Seems like an activity while watching TV.

I don't think it will work, even if you rub a whole month.

Follow PMPeter's advise instead, you can also get the Neodymium magnets from Ebay, they are not very expensive.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Harvey  
#7 Posted : 20 January 2020 20:13:58(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have ordered magnets and await arrival. In the meanwhile, will rub some magnets and see what happens

Thanks for the suggestions

Harvey