Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline frickwg  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2020 23:01:38(UTC)
frickwg

United States   
I was just was given a second Märklin 36620 (DB 146.5, 146 552-5)

The prior owner had tried to “fix it,” but failed and it is no longer operable. Some of the wires are no longer connected to the pads on the PCB. I know how to solder to pads and have done so in the past, but which wire to which pad is the question. Some pads are identified “R1” and some are not labeled.

This info is not on the instructions for the loco or the exploded view. The exploded diagram does not show a part number for the PCB.

Where is this information?

Willis Frick
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2020 00:04:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: frickwg Go to Quoted Post

The prior owner had tried to “fix it,” but failed and it is no longer operable. Some of the wires are no longer connected to the pads on the PCB. I know how to solder to pads and have done so in the past, but which wire to which pad is the question. Some pads are identified “R1” and some are not labeled.

This info is not on the instructions for the loco or the exploded view. The exploded diagram does not show a part number for the PCB.

Willis Frick

You have to find out which decoder the loco has inside. Then search for the decoder at Maerklin's website or via Google in the internet. Normally the information is given in the manual for the decoder.

For an example I add a link from the mLD/3 (= M-aerklin L-ok D-ecoder) is the new decoder generation without sound.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60982/

In the manual

https://static.maerklin....bc19f25fa81569315550.pdf

in English it is page 24 following.

Furthermore, but only in German available, are PDF files from the Maerklin Magazine. I list you here the links, because also the pictures show the used colours by Maerklin.

more generally for cabeling
https://www.maerklin.de/.../MM_Verkabelung_2013.pdf

more for decoders
https://www.maerklin.de/...pecial_MM_2016_03_04.pdf
For the table see page 51 of the MM (is page 4 of the PDF file).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline frickwg  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2020 00:19:43(UTC)
frickwg

United States   
The chip is 248 889, but, alas, the chip diagrams do not show the PCB connections, just the plug in.

I am looking for a diagram of the PCB which shows which wires go where. Red and brown are easy as they go to the power pickup points, but there are many others.

What color to which pad to what??
Offline costing  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2020 08:44:52(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
An obvious thing to do is check which pads had some solder on them already. Lay the pcb in the loco and arrange the wires around it. Many times the wires are as short as possible and will only reach certain parts of the board. This might reduce your search space a bit.

Another trick is to start from the 21 pins of the decoder. Use the short circuit detector and ohmmeter settings on your multimeter to find out which pins of the decoder go to which pads of the pcb. Take a photo of the pcb and write/draw on it the connections (pads you have identified, traces that can be seen etc).

Remember that lights have a fixed connection to Vcc while the negative side of them goes to the decoder via a resistor. You should at least be able to trace F0r and F0f (pins 7 and 8) to some pads, as they would have a few hundred ohms to pins 7 and 8. Speaker wires go to 9 and 10. Motor to 18 and 19 and so on.

Search for "21pin MTC" to quickly find the decoder pinout, like https://dccwiki.com/21MTC_Connector . A longer, much more detailed description is here http://www.sbs4dcc.com/t...cks/21mtcconnector.html, many others can be found online.

A photo of the pcb could help us help you more.

Cheers,

.costin
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2020 10:27:34(UTC)
H0

If you have two locos, one unmodified and one modified, then it should be simple to wire the second loco like the first loco is wired.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2020 15:33:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
If you have two locos, one unmodified and one modified, then it should be simple to wire the second loco like the first loco is wired.

They won't necessarily need to be identical locos either. If you have two locos of the same class that would be an excellent start, but any other loco with a similar motherboard in it would also be a starting point.

Some photos would also help.

Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2020 00:19:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

The chip is 248 889, but, alas, the chip diagrams do not show the PCB connections, just the plug in.

I am looking for a diagram of the PCB which shows which wires go where. Red and brown are easy as they go to the power pickup points, but there are many others.

What color to which pad to what??

Do I have to understand you?

Go to the manual page 24

https://static.maerklin....bc19f25fa81569315550.pdf

Yes red goes to the "Conductor Current Pickup,Track, Right (DC) Center (AC)". Compare the right table "Cross Referencing the Colors for the Wires" at page 24 of the manual for the "60972 60982 conversion decoder set".

In the left column are the colours set by NEM,

"Conductor Current Pickup, Track, Left (DC) Outer (AC)" for NEM is black for Maerklin is brown. Brown is always the connection to the mass at Maerklin.

Motor connection 1 for Maerklin is green and Motor connection 2 is blue for Maerklin. A little bit further down at page 25 you see the decoder with the pads on it. Beside each pad is a colour written down to which this pad belongs. I think it is logic which pad you have to use for which cable and this generates your wire diagramm by itself.

A structure of this scheme in graphics you find here

https://www.stayathome.ch/images/dcdecoder.gif

But after you connected the basic structure for connection red, brown, green, blue wires, you should test, if the decoder and/or motor is working or faulty.

Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2020 00:48:12(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Motor connection 1 for Maerklin is green and Motor connection 2 is blue for Maerklin. A little bit further down at page 25 you see the decoder with the pads on it. Beside each pad is a colour written down to which this pad belongs. I think it is logic which pad you have to use for which cable and this generates your wire diagramm by itself.

This would be helpful if the wires were on the decoder, and needed to be soldered onto the motor, pickup etc.; but it is opposite.

Also, you seem to have missed that this loco is with sound; while your link and your guesses are for a decoder without sound.

Why you, in your first post, link to the cable colors used for building a layout, I simply don't understand.

I would just follow H0's or KiwiAllan's suggestions, instead of risking expensive smoke escaping from the decoder......... Cool

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2020 03:20:40(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Willis Frick

Post some photos of your Loco, and specifically the decoder (in detail, both sides) - someone else may have the exact same model/version and can add comparable photos showing which wires attach to which pads

Easy peasy Cool
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2020 17:01:52(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
What part number is the PCB ? Its probably printed on the PCB, in one corner, it could be E200704.

When you have confirmed the part number, google it, eg "marklin E200704"
note, if it is E200704, then moba-hgh.de have a German description of the wiring: https://moba-hgh.de/index.php/modellbahn/umbauten/lokomotiven/maerklin/2682:36617-br-185-der-deutschen-bahn-ag-traxx-2-mfx-msd#details-2
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline frickwg  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2020 17:46:26(UTC)
frickwg

United States   
Now I feel stupid, as I should have recognized a 6 digit number with and "E" as a Marklin part #.

The rest is easy. Lots of pictures on the web showing which color wire goes where!