Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline frickwg  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2020 18:30:10(UTC)
frickwg

United States   
I am almost embarrassed to ask this simple question, but I can’t figure out how to change the rubber tires on my 36620 (DB 146.5, 146 552-5).

The exploded drawing shows the structure of the truck and part numbers, but gives no hints to how to remove the “cover” on the bottom of the trucks or any way to gain access so you can fit a new tire. What could be easier the changing a tire, but I can’t do it with the truck bottoms on and can’t figure out how to get them off to get at the tires.

Help!

Willis Frick, willis.frick@cox.net
Offline costing  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2020 20:43:55(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Are there slots at the front/rear of the truck bottoms where you can insert a flat screwdriver? In other locos you can do that and press the screwdriver tip towards the front (or rear) to release the clips. A picture of the truck would help, I didn't find one online.
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2020 22:55:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post
Are there slots at the front/rear of the truck bottoms where you can insert a flat screwdriver? In other locos you can do that and press the screwdriver tip towards the front (or rear) to release the clips. A picture of the truck would help, I didn't find one online.

I can see what you are talking about, but the picture in the manual doesn't show using a screwdriver to unclip the plastic frame, so no wonder the OP is confused. looking at the picture it is possible to make out the clip points at the front and back of the frame.

Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2020 01:28:33(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I just had to open mine for the first time a couple of days ago and it was not fun. I had messed around with it a bit when I first got it but did not take the body off. There are no screws so it has to work the way shown in the manual, but when I tried to pull off the body it was still stuck in the front and rear and although more force might have gotten it loose, I have broken HO models with excessive force and I gave up while ahead. ThumpUp

It runs nicely but later there was also a problem with the rear coupler so I needed to remove the body to investigate. It took a lot of effort and a small mountain of little parts before they finally separated, but nothing broke. I was careful to lube everything in there while it was open and I hope to not deal with that one again soon. ThumpUp

And by a miracle all of those small parts found their home again. Someday I need to glue all of that stuff down once and for all. BigGrin

So I can certainly see why you are hesitating on opening it - I was sure something was going to snap off but I was fast losing patience and just went for it, and this time it worked out. I'm not sure exactly what moves worked but it took some struggling for me to get the body off, the first time ever for me with a Märklin loco. Maybe I will improve with practice.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2020 05:41:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: frickwg Go to Quoted Post
I am almost embarrassed to ask this simple question, but I can’t figure out how to change the rubber tires on my 36620 (DB 146.5, 146 552-5).

The exploded drawing shows the structure of the truck and part numbers, but gives no hints to how to remove the “cover” on the bottom of the trucks or any way to gain access so you can fit a new tire. What could be easier the changing a tire, but I can’t do it with the truck bottoms on and can’t figure out how to get them off to get at the tires.

Help!

Willis Frick, willis.frick@cox.net

To remove the "cover" (guess you mean the body) you always must refer to the manual. See page 32 of the manual

https://static.maerklin....24c8c2ff231434541979.pdf

New will be, it does not show any screw to unscrew them. It looks like the body is only pinned up or cliped together. To lift up the body I think you have to widen the body for removing it from the loco's frame.

On page 36 in the manual you see the change of the traction tires. As I know from other locos using a tweezer could be sometimes more helpful than a screwdriver. I do not have your IC 2 36620 loco. I got the other IC 2 model 36638, which seems to be different in mounting. But both locos are nice and amazingly inexpensive ones.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/36638/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2020 17:58:47(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
It looks like the body is only pinned up or clipped together. To lift up the body I think you have to widen the body for removing it from the loco's frame.

Well that is the basic principle Wolfgang but in practice it is not nearly so simple. More like widen the body and then tug on the body, pull on the frame, try to get the two to seperate, twist, pull, knock off small parts, swear, pray, smoke em if you got em and then finally it will come apart. I sure hope that this is not Märklin's new plan for how to attach a loco body shell to the chassis. ThumbDown
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2020 00:29:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Well that is the basic principle Wolfgang but in practice it is not nearly so simple. More like widen the body and then tug on the body, pull on the frame, try to get the two to seperate, twist, pull, knock off small parts, swear, pray, smoke em if you got em and then finally it will come apart. I sure hope that this is not Märklin's new plan for how to attach a loco body shell to the chassis. ThumbDown

I can imagine it looks easy removing the body with this cliping system. And I am afraid this may be the future. If you are very well trained in this method - as a loco mounting employee at Maerklin will be - you can assemble a loco much quicker than to fix the body with the chassis by 2 or 4 screws. But for the untrained customer it will be much more difficult. Alone the fear breaking off a part from the body while removing it, is a burden.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2020 01:28:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The plastic outer part of the bogie is clipped into the bogie itself and can be removed, allowing access to the wheels in order to exchange the traction tires.
See Page 36 of the instruction manual.

There is no need to remove the shell (housing) of the locomotive to do this.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2020 09:26:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
There is no need to remove the shell (housing) of the locomotive to do this.
Sounds as if you never tried it.
The truck frame holds the truck in place. You do not have to remove the body to remove the truck frame.
But when you do this, the truck falls out of place and the cardan shaft flies around. You have to remove the body to fix that.

If you remove the body first you can try to keep truck and cardan shaft in place.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2020 09:30:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
It looks like the body is only pinned up or clipped together. To lift up the body I think you have to widen the body for removing it from the loco's frame.
The loco has a metal body, held by a screw (#6 on the explosion diagram).

Märklin messed up the manual by showing instructions for the Trix plastic TRAXX in a manual for a Märklin metal TRAXX loco. So sad.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2020 10:37:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I just had to open mine for the first time a couple of days ago and it was not fun.
Do you have the 37447 (plastic body) or the 36620 (metal body)?
Same livery, but different moulds. One has a clipped-on body, the other has a screwed-on body.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2020 13:22:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Do you have the 37447 (plastic body) or the 36620 (metal body)?
Same livery, but different moulds. One has a clipped-on body, the other has a screwed-on body.

Sorry about the confusion. I was in error because I have the 37447 with the plastic body and this apparently does not apply to the 36620.

I'm glad that I don't have the 36620 because I might have tried to pry the body off without removing the screw! What a stupid mistake for Märklin to make and if I had broken my loco because they couldn't get the instructions right I would be very unhappy.
Regards,
Jim

H0
Offline frickwg  
#13 Posted : 16 January 2020 22:59:43(UTC)
frickwg

United States   
Thanks for the help. With lots of four letter words and fiddling, I got the bottom of the truck off, changed the tires and it took about 15 tried to get the @@%%$#### thing back together.