Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pclancy  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2020 13:46:58(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
I'd highly appreciate some advice on which transformer to purchase...used...I guess from Ebay. I am beginning to get interested in Marklin (again) and my transformers are the very old all blue ones. 40-50 years old. Time to move on, I think. Please include the model number!

Questions:

Can the newer white transformers work on both 110 and 220 volts? That would be my preference.

If you want to start small, but also have the ability to grow a layout, does it make any difference which transformer you buy?

I will start with M track, and a fleet of mostly analog locomotives. But I want the option to expand into more and more digital.

Thanks for your advice!

Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2020 14:48:38(UTC)
Goofy

The blue transformer are banned for the digital.
The white transformer is for analog today.
If you want digital, use power supply only for the digital system which you can see further more information in maerklin.de homepage and click on english language by read english.
You can only use 120 volt in USA and the transformer are built for the state that allows only for the power sources.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2020 16:02:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My view is do not buy cheap for a power pack but get the current Marklin one. Also if starting and wanting to grow in the future then start set is a good idea . Buy from a reputable dealer and get the warranty. Model rail and Marklin is not cheap but it pays to buy the correct equipment which will last for years.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2020 17:52:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I think that AJCKids and possibly some other dealers have specials on analog transformers taken from sets at good prices. The model number is 6646.
https://ajckids.com/prod..._sid=d9c95c910&_ss=r
https://www.eurorailhobb...&so=5&stock=6646 (better price but out of stock)

You say you are starting again. Do you have old track and models or are you looking to start from zero again?
If you are starting from scratch, my recommendation would be to find a start set with transformer and C Track.
I would not recommend trying to start a new setup with M Track if you do not already have some, as it is not made anymore.

The AC transformers can only be used with analog or with the classic 6021 digital system (Motorola). The new digital system works with DC power packs and DC voltage, even if still running the classic Maerklin Motorola format. If you eventually upgrade from analog to Mobile Station or Central Station, you will need a new power pack. The analog transformer can still be used for lights, signals and accessories.

Regards

Mike C
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2020 19:17:51(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
My view is do not buy cheap for a power pack but get the current Marklin one. Also if starting and wanting to grow in the future then start set is a good idea . Buy from a reputable dealer and get the warranty. Model rail and Marklin is not cheap but it pays to buy the correct equipment which will last for years.

These are words of wisdom from a man with a true love of the hobby! I'm of the same mindset, when with Märklin stay current and stay safe! Our toys cost $$$$ so treat them accordingly!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline pclancy  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2020 20:08:34(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I think that AJCKids and possibly some other dealers have specials on analog transformers taken from sets at good prices. The model number is 6646.
https://ajckids.com/prod..._sid=d9c95c910&_ss=r
https://www.eurorailhobb...&so=5&stock=6646 (better price but out of stock)

You say you are starting again. Do you have old track and models or are you looking to start from zero again?
If you are starting from scratch, my recommendation would be to find a start set with transformer and C Track.
I would not recommend trying to start a new setup with M Track if you do not already have some, as it is not made anymore.

The AC transformers can only be used with analog or with the classic 6021 digital system (Motorola). The new digital system works with DC power packs and DC voltage, even if still running the classic Maerklin Motorola format. If you eventually upgrade from analog to Mobile Station or Central Station, you will need a new power pack. The analog transformer can still be used for lights, signals and accessories.

Regards

Mike C

Dear Mike C:

Thanks for your help. You will be sorry you offered advice, as I have too many questions and risk coming back to you and others:

I have a ton of old M track. 100 + pieces. So I will stick with that for the moment.

I just bought a used 6647 transformer. It is 220 Volt, which suits me fine as I will be using it in Europe. Can I use it with a heavy duty voltage step down converter in the US as well?

I assume I have a power track in all my old M track. But I'm confused how many of these power tracks you need. When I was a kid, I just used one for a large oval. If you need several, how to space them? How do you hook up more than one power track to a transformer? It's been 50 years since I played with Marklin.

I also have several M track switches, how do those get hooked up? The little blue boxes with red buttons?

Is there not a "how to" guide for a (re) starter like myself?

Is there an easily accessible layout plan for M track?

What else do I need to buy or do to just get a simple oval with a couple of turn out switches working?

Most of my locos are analog. But I have one digital. What do I need to buy to realize some of the digital fun? Can you run analog and digital together?

Thanks

Peter

Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2020 20:20:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: pclancy Go to Quoted Post
I'd highly appreciate some advice on which transformer to purchase...used...I guess from Ebay. I am beginning to get interested in Marklin (again) and my transformers are the very old all blue ones. 40-50 years old. Time to move on, I think. Please include the model number!

Questions:

Can the newer white transformers work on both 110 and 220 volts? That would be my preference.

If you want to start small, but also have the ability to grow a layout, does it make any difference which transformer you buy?

I will start with M track, and a fleet of mostly analog locomotives. But I want the option to expand into more and more digital.

Thanks for your advice!

About 6 years ago I had the same questions as yours, when I wanted to reactivate my old M-track Maerklin layout with these big blue transformers after decades of rest. After its insolvency, Maerklin was just bought by a new owner. Almost no information was available for these questions. Meanwhile Maerklin published some basic informations (even in English), which helps me still today. Perhaps it may help you as well. Here are the links to the English versions of these documetations at Maerklin's website.

https://www.maerklin.de/...itched-mode-power-packs/

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/technical-information/

https://www.maerklin.de/...rische_Sicherheit_en.pdf

Within the security specifications Maerklin defines his opinion and writes some explanations about "what is a power supply unit?".

P.S.: Maerklin just issuing new power supplies article #60041/60042/60045
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2020 21:41:15(UTC)
bph

Norway   

I just bought a used 6647 transformer. It is 220 Volt, which suits me fine as I will be using it in Europe. Can I use it with a heavy duty voltage step down converter in the US as well?

you need a 110 to 220 transformer/step up converter. but they are not cheap.....

I assume I have a power track in all my old M track. But I'm confused how many of these power tracks you need. When I was a kid, I just used one for a large oval. If you need several, how to space them? How do you hook up more than one power track to a transformer? It's been 50 years since I played with Marklin.

Digital is more picky, but do a test, and if the speed drops to much, inset a power track.

I also have several M track switches, how do those get hooked up? The little blue boxes with red buttons?

See attached file. Connecting_Electric_Railways.pdf (3,092kb) downloaded 57 time(s). NB! old blue transformer might destroy digital decoders. (to high reverse voltage)

Most of my locos are analog. But I have one digital. What do I need to buy to realize some of the digital fun? Can you run analog and digital together?

you can not run analog locomotives on a digital powered track. but digital on analog is fine. You can as an option do a combination layout, where you do part of it analog. (

some more documents that might be useful. its from around the net so i dont remember where i found them
MarklinWiringBooklet.pdf (171kb) downloaded 63 time(s). beginners-part4-mm2-14.pdf (3,881kb) downloaded 61 time(s). 0733.pdf (14,547kb) downloaded 39 time(s).

Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2020 01:32:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is cheaper to buy a 6646 than it would be to buy a reliable step up transformer to run your trains on 240V in North America.
You could ask an electrician to install a 240V circuit in your train room, but I think you would have to permanently connect the transformer to the mains as the only connectors that are approved are those for stoves/dryers/etc.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2020 02:00:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
you can not run analog locomotives on a digital powered track...

That's not quite correct, you can run analog trains on a digitally powered track but be aware they will run at full speed with no speed control because the digital controller puts a constant 18v on the track.
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2020 06:27:59(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
you can not run analog locomotives on a digital powered track...

That's not quite correct, you can run analog trains on a digitally powered track but be aware they will run at full speed with no speed control because the digital controller puts a constant 18v on the track.

If I may also offer comment : you can run analogue electric (pantographed) locos on digital track if you supply the analogue power (red connection) via the overhead catenary - there is a switch in the loco to change power pickup from the slider beneath to the pantograph above although some more recent electric locos are not equipped to take power from the pantograph. The "earth" / "neutral" / brown connection is then via the outer rails of the track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin