Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ReelfootJim  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2019 01:21:34(UTC)
ReelfootJim

United States   
Purchased a new LGB F7A (Napa Valley Wine Train) Loco and a CS3+. The CS3+ recognized and registered the train automatically. All of the features and functions are working as expected, except for the motor in the Front Trucks. Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I would rather do some basic troubleshooting before returning for a replacement.

thanks

Jim
Offline phils2um  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2020 07:50:04(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Hi Jim,

Don't know if you already took care of this. First thing I'd do is delete the loco from the CS3 roster and let it re-register. Re-boot the CS3 after the loco is deleted but before you re-register it. If that doesn't fix it (which is unlikely) then open it up and check that the four conductor cable from the front truck to the decoder/interface board is properly connected. I don't have one of these locos so don't know if it has an interface board between the trucks and decoder. Make sure the cable wasn't pinched when the loco was originally assembled which might have broken a conductor. You can try unplugging and reconnecting the cable if it looks OK. If that doesn't fix it, unplug the cable at the truck and test the motor itself. You can use a 9V battery across the motor connection posts on the truck to see if it runs. Reverse the connection to see if it runs in both directions. You can find which two of the four posts connect to the motor by removing the truck's bottom cover and looking. The other two posts connect to the track power pickups. Typically the outer two posts make contact to the motor in LGB motor blocks. At this point you will know if it needs to be sent back for repair or replacement.

Phil S.
Phil S.
Offline ReelfootJim  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2020 12:34:07(UTC)
ReelfootJim

United States   
Thanks for the reply. I spoke with the dealer, who put me in contact with Marklin. We did some troubleshooting and determined that it was best to swap the unit without taking the unit apart for further troubleshooting. The front trucks picked up power and would run the back trucks and power the lights. Could have been a lose wire connection to the front motor or a decoder issue. But, the new replacement finally came, so I’m a happy camper.