Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2020 23:19:27(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have recently gotten involved with Gauge 1 by getting a couple of analog locomotives and other necessary items.

While I plan to run the locomotives in analog mode, I am wondering whether I could operate the track power and the switches digitally with K83 and K84 boxes just like I am doing in H0. This makes most sense if I can also get feedbacks working, however.

I am familiar with contact tracks and switch tracks of H0, but these don't exist in Gauge 1. So, here comes my newbie question: What are the alternative ways to get feedback in Gauge 1? What are their pros and cons in practice?

In particular, in H0 I am using CAN Digital Bahn products to hook up contact tracks with Rocrail running on my laptop. There is a CAN Digital product called StromSniffer that seems more or less suited for Gauge 1, although the documentation is not explicit on this. If someone has experience on this particular approach, I would be more than pleased to hear from it!
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2020 23:50:38(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Martti,

Märklin offers a sniffer which is suitable for 2-rail-systems: https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/60882/
A more simple alternative are reed-switches to detect locomotives equipped with magnets.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2020 00:28:41(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Thanks for the reply, Markus!

I am nevertheless reluctant to adopt Märklin approach for this use: if I want to use 60882, I would also need a CS3 and other bits and pieces from Märklin Digital architecture. That would be an overinvestment for my modest goal.

Reed contacts are interesting, and I will probably experiment with them - they are relatively inexpensive. Thanks for the tip!

I will also investigate the CAN Digital approach further.

Edited by user 09 January 2020 14:06:13(UTC)  | Reason: Typo fix.

- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline Rocca  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2020 18:41:07(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi, Markus,

May you suggest, please a suitable Reed contact for the Märklin Gauge 1?
Mit freundlichen Grüße
Servus
Stefano

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martti,

Märklin offers a sniffer which is suitable for 2-rail-systems: https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/60882/
A more simple alternative are reed-switches to detect locomotives equipped with magnets.

Regards

Markus

Offline rbw993  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2020 22:30:25(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
LGB once made contact switches. They were reed contact inside a plastic fitting that snapped between the rails. They were weather proof with screw terminals. They weren't cheap but they were rugged. I don't know if they still make them.

Roger
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2020 04:05:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
LGB once made contact switches. They were reed contact inside a plastic fitting that snapped between the rails. They were weather proof with screw terminals. They weren't cheap but they were rugged. I don't know if they still make them.

Roger

LGB still offers them.

https://www.lgb.com/prod...s/details/article/17100/

https://www.lgb.com/prod...rrpdb_pi1%5BnoPaging%5D=

page 129
https://www.lgb.de/filea...kat2019_Internet__2_.pdf
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2020 04:25:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Markus,

Mit freundlichen Grüße
Servus
Stefano

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martti,

Regards

Markus

Technically is Maerklin Gauge 1 the same as Trix from Maerklin, which is a 2 L DC system. Only the power feeding connection is designed for the needed higher power consumption. H0 = 3 A, Gauge 1 = 5 A. E.g. for all brands and gauges of Maerklin you can use a CS 3 or CS 3+. Only the power supply has to be different. One provides 3 A the other one 5 A.

Starting a CS 3 or CS 3 plus from Maerklin digital, a screen appears showing all three brand logos from Maerklin, LGB and Trix.
Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2020 09:28:06(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Markus,

Mit freundlichen Grüße
Servus
Stefano

Hi Stefano,

Just have a look at the data-sheet. Nearly every contact on the market is fine. It just depends on how much current should be switched. Usually only some mA are switched on model-railroad electronics. But there are also types which can switch up to 5A and more. I use very cheap examples from China (pack of 10 for ~2EUR).

Regards

Markus