Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pasquiles  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2019 14:52:46(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Hi all,

First of all apologies if this topic has been discussed already I did look for it and I did not find it.
I am relatively a newcomer to this hobby (I started earlier this year). As starter set I chose the 29479, which was at that time the one I liked it more, after I further expanded it with the 78478.

Problem is that the headlights of the locomotive cannot be controlled individually, so the lights of both cab ends are always turned on, which is not ideal when the the locomotive is either pulling or pushing a train. This function which is present in other locomotives (e.g. 36645), is not in the included functions of the starter set, and I was not able to added it using the MS2. I wonder if it is possible to include it to the current decoder (as a MFX decoder is supposed to be manage up to 32).

Is possible to update the current decoder in any way? Do I need to buy a new decoder instead?

I am even considering buying the same locomotive which all the functions (36645), since the issue of the headlights really annoys me.

On the other hand I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the cab control car of the extension 78478, so the lights change red to white depending if it is pulled or pushed (as the locomotive does), what would I need to buy to do this? It is worthy or it is better to buy new cabs instead.

Many thanks in advance for the assistance and regards,
Pasquiles
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2019 15:57:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Pasquiles Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

First of all apologies if this topic has been discussed already I did look for it and I did not find it.
I am relatively a newcomer to this hobby (I started earlier this year). As starter set I chose the 29479, which was at that time the one I liked it more, after I further expanded it with the 78478.

Problem is that the headlights of the locomotive cannot be controlled individually, so the lights of both cab ends are always turned on, which is not ideal when the the locomotive is either pulling or pushing a train. This function which is present in other locomotives (e.g. 36645), is not in the included functions of the starter set, and I was not able to added it using the MS2. I wonder if it is possible to include it to the current decoder (as a MFX decoder is supposed to be manage up to 32).

Is possible to update the current decoder in any way? Do I need to buy a new decoder instead?

I am even considering buying the same locomotive which all the functions (36645), since the issue of the headlights really annoys me.

Hmm the manual for this set suggests that the headlights should swap with direction change (page 8 right hand column for the English version). Now this may not be correct as Marklin manuals often have copy and paste errors from where a manual is derived from earlier ones. The 29479 product page says that head lights and tail lights change over with direction - is this what happens for you? From your description I took it that the headlights on both ends were on at the same time.

If you are wanting the lights at the coach end of the loco to be off at all times this is not possible without turning off the lights at the other end of the loco as well. This is quite standard for entry level locos that come is start sets such as this. It MAY be possible by reprogramming the decoder, but this would take a fair dose of investigation, and Marklin do tend to lock down the features in as built locos.

Note that the manual for the 36645 does not indicate that it is possible to turn off the lights at one end of the loco by a function. It indicates that in normal operation it will have headlights at one end and tail lights at the other, dependant on direction of travel the same as your existing loco or, with a specific set of functions turned on, it will have the Double A Headlights at both ends simultaneously for shunting mode, so I do not believe this will do what you want. Again, if it is possible to get into the decoder and modify the programming this could be changed, but, again, Marklin lock their decoders fitted to locos to not allow this.

So in both cases to achieve what you want would require a new decoder that you could program to operate as you desire.

On the other hand I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the cab control car of the extension 78478, so the lights change red to white depending if it is pulled or pushed (as the locomotive does), what would I need to buy to do this? It is worthy or it is better to buy new cabs instead.

Many thanks in advance for the assistance and regards,
Pasquiles

Modifying the coach to add the head lights and direction change mechanism to switch them is probably not possible without a lot of work. Again this is an item made for entry level into the model railroading world so it is built to a price, and to achieve that price a fair amount of bits are not fitted. I am not aware that the parts you would need are available as spares, but a peruse of the manuals for the fully featured coaches may be worth while, and then to see if your dealer can source the parts.

Offline Pasquiles  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2019 16:28:11(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Hi kiwiAlan,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

The loco works as you describe, the headlights swap with the direction, however coach end is always on. This I can tolerate when the is pulling, but when is pushing... Then is clear that I will need to either a new loco or a new decoder.

Looking at the manual of the 36645, I can see that the option that I want is available (page 8); which is headlights engineer cab 1/2 off. So, the coach end would always be off.

Thanks as well for your reply to the question regarding the cab control car. I will then go for better versions of cab control cars for the future’s acquisitions.

Thanks again!
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2019 14:22:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
So in both cases to achieve what you want would require a new decoder that you could program to operate as you desire.
As I understand it the decoder supports all the programming options that are needed. But the MS2 is most likely insufficient to program the decoder.
And I assume that the red lights at one end and the white lights at the other hand are connected in parallel. So a bit of soldering will be required to connect the red lights to individual function outputs to make them controllable independently.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Pasquiles  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2019 21:02:36(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Hi!

It is one of the new decoders, so there are no cables anymore.

I came to the conclusion that the easiest thing I can do is to remove the light circuit of the end that will always be attached to the coach.

I asked the question of modifying the decoder to Märklin, if they reply I will post the answer.

I was hoping that with the USB tool (60971) I would be able to modify the decoder, but it do not think so anymore.

Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2019 01:33:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi kiwiAlan,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

The loco works as you describe, the headlights swap with the direction, however coach end is always on. This I can tolerate when the is pulling, but when is pushing... Then is clear that I will need to either a new loco or a new decoder.

Looking at the manual of the 36645, I can see that the option that I want is available (page 8); which is headlights engineer cab 1/2 off. So, the coach end would always be off.

Thanks as well for your reply to the question regarding the cab control car. I will then go for better versions of cab control cars for the future’s acquisitions.

Thanks again!

As of the manuals the BR 245 of 29479 (page 8) you can shut on and off only head lights and tail lights together. The BR 245 from 36645 (page 8) of the manual describes you are able to switch on and off headlights/red marker light, headlight's engineer cab 2 off, headlight's engineer cab 1 off and double A switch light. Perhaps you can change wit by reprogramming the decoder. But I do not know which CVs have to be changed. Perhaps you sent a letter or mail to Maerklin Service asking how to do these reprogramming.
https://www.maerklin.de/...ervice/reparaturservice/

Or give them a phone call
https://www.maerklin.de/...r-service/phone-service/

A total different thing are the cab control car. By Maerklin's website it is only equipped with 2 red tail lights. Of course Maerklin is offering all kinds of possibilities for a cab control car. For example see this control cab car 43830 from Maerklin.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/43830/

If you scroll down to the section features you see this control cab car has the ability of three white and two red lights switching between them automatically by changing the direction of the train. Of course you can build in this feature into your cab control car, but it is not very easy. I could not do it. On the other hand your extension set had a reasonable price.
Offline Pasquiles  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2020 22:29:01(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Hi everybody,

I just received the reply from Märklin Customer Service, and I wanted to share it with you.

It seems that the decoder could be updated with the CS3.
———————————————————————————————
there are several possibilities to modify the decoder inside of this model. For example it is possible to define another function, where only the headlight on side 1 is switches on. If you would change the direction of this model, it would be switched off. The solution for such a function is the function mapping, where you can define individual functions. But therefore you need a CS 3 to program such a solution.

Sincerely yours,

Your Maerklin Customer Service
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2020 22:36:00(UTC)
H0

But therefore you need a CS 3 to program such a solution.
A CS2 or CS1 or ESU ECoS will also do the job. And there may be more.

What you want may still require some soldering (cannot say for sure as I do not have that loco).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage