Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sprigogin  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2019 03:10:36(UTC)
sprigogin

United States   
I'm trying to use NCE5240002 controller to program two DCC locomotives, Trix 22417 and Trix 22226 . Although NCE5240002 properly controls both of the locos on a test track using the factory configured address 003, it fails to program the locos. Reading and setting of decoder address or CVs doesn't work. Both decoder manufacturer and decoder version are displayed as 255, which seems to indicate an error. The behavior is identical for both locos. Does this problem indicate that Trix decoders are incompatible with NCE5240002? What can I do to troubleshoot the problem further?
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2019 07:18:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

You could start with this link:
Tonys Trains about decoder readings

I realise this is no help to yourself, but I have used an older NCE Powercab and never had problems with writing CVs to Trix locos.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2019 09:51:12(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: sprigogin Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying to use NCE5240002 controller to program two DCC locomotives, Trix 22417 and Trix 22226 . Although NCE5240002 properly controls both of the locos on a test track using the factory configured address 003, it fails to program the locos. Reading and setting of decoder address or CVs doesn't work. Both decoder manufacturer and decoder version are displayed as 255, which seems to indicate an error. The behavior is identical for both locos. Does this problem indicate that Trix decoders are incompatible with NCE5240002? What can I do to troubleshoot the problem further?

Both locomotive do have multi protocol decoder which means you control locomotives with DCC or mfx.
Are yours locomotive second hand or you did bought them as new?
Try first to reset yours locomotive by write CV 8 adress and value at 8.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline sprigogin  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2019 19:38:52(UTC)
sprigogin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Both locomotive do have multi protocol decoder which means you control locomotives with DCC or mfx.

Both locomotives were bought new. One two years ago and the other last year. Will try CV 8. Thank you.
Offline sprigogin  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2019 01:35:40(UTC)
sprigogin

United States   

Setting CV 8 to 8 doesn't make any difference. I suspect that it fails even before it has a chance to set the CV.

Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2019 08:44:42(UTC)
Goofy

Very interested!
It´s hardly to believe two locomotives does not respons, so i believe it is the digital system.
Can you test another locomotive with DCC decoder?
H0
Offline EMD_GP7  
#7 Posted : 16 December 2019 15:51:16(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi. I sometimes have problems with my Lenz system programming sound locos on the programming track.
My Broadway Limited Quantum manual recommended including a 20 ohm resistor in the connection to reduce the inrush current which is seen as an overload !. I have also had problems with other makes so it may be worth trying in case your NCE system has the same problem.
Hope this helps. Colin.
Offline sprigogin  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2019 05:14:50(UTC)
sprigogin

United States   
Very interested!
It´s hardly to believe two locomotives does not respons, so i believe it is the digital system.

Unfortunately, the two Trix locomotives that I tried already is all I have.
Offline Ross  
#9 Posted : 17 December 2019 07:07:45(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi sprigogin,

Try the ETE group and see if you can find someone who may be able to help you.

Very interested!

Ross
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 17 December 2019 07:33:12(UTC)
Goofy

Okey...
Do you have any friends who also do have same hobby as you are?
Try to search a local shop near you or train clubs in the area and they can help you?
H0