Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline owidgie  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2019 02:07:14(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Hello all, so my question is installing a new decoder into a loco Marklin (BR52k-BR53k dosen't really matter which one it is).

My question specifically is (obviously) is there a way to get the fans to spin in 2 speeds with a retrofit decoder?

I have installed a Locsound v5 M4 decoder. The 52K tender locsound seems to be close to the same as the factory sound from what I remember. I was thinking that ESU would have mapped a way to have the fans spin with 2 speeds as it came out of the box when it was new.

It seems that ESU gave no regard to AUX 2 running a different motor. As it is now the fans only spin very slowly. I do have AUX output set for "Vertalator" so it has a ACC/DEC rate which has a very slight change in speed but once the loco draws more power as it speeds up, the fans look like they are running slowly at the idle speed.

So why not make the contingency for the fans when they know that the sound file is being downloaded for that type of loco? <---just me ranting!

I know that there must be a way since I think this should be similar to a rail Zeppelin retrofit.

Please note that I have very few electronic component building skills. So I am expecting to get lost in explanation of components!

Thanks all

Rick

Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2019 04:15:41(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Rick, I have #37171 BR52 1911. I have fitted it with a Loksound V3.5 decoder a long time ago. I have got my fans hooked up to F7 running on Auxiliary 2. Without taking it to pieces I vaguely remember having to do something slow the fans down. In hind sight I probably could have used the dimmer option to lower or raise the power output & control them down that way. My main aim was to get it to run like it did when it came from the factory.
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2019 13:35:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I don't have experience with ESU v5 yet, but with older ESU you could set the output to smoke generator to get two different speeds - slow at standstill, faster while loco runs. Also works with Märklin decoders. I did that for the rail Zeppelin.

ESU v4 introduced two different dim settings for certain outputs. I used it for the headlights, but it also works for AUX1 and AUX2 (look for "aux1[1]" and "aux1[2]" in the lok programmer software).
And you can use two outputs in parallel to get more levels.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline owidgie  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2019 22:38:40(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Thanks David and Tom.

The fans turn very slowly, I am suspicious that it is the factory 21 pin mounting board that is slowing them down from the AUX1 output.

I have looked into the smoke generator output with the different settings. It didn't do much because it is the same setting (0-31). So the fans don't turn any faster.

So Tom, this statement is curious to me. "And you can use two outputs in parallel to get more levels."

Are you suggesting wiring multiple Aux outputs to the single motor? I assume with a diode on the Aux output.

Rick
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2019 14:25:08(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Offline owidgie  
#6 Posted : 14 December 2019 02:08:48(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
WOW!

bph what a great website, I need about 5-6 different products from here in multiple quantities.

Do you happen to have any contact info for them? I have emailed through the website but if you know these people it might be faster for me.

I am concerned that they might not ship or sell to the U.S.

Thanks!

Rick
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2019 11:08:54(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: owidgie Go to Quoted Post
WOW!

bph what a great website, I need about 5-6 different products from here in multiple quantities.

Do you happen to have any contact info for them? I have emailed through the website but if you know these people it might be faster for me.

I am concerned that they might not ship or sell to the U.S.

Thanks!

Rick

Sorry, I do not know him. Just stumbled across his site some time ago. I do have a condensation tender myself so it’s interesting to have options. But since it has sound, I’m happy with it for the moment.
PS you might know of this site, but if not, you might also find it interesting
http://www.luessi.ch/eshop/oc/
Offline owidgie  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2019 19:26:04(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
I do know of the Leussi site. It's great. The JdG site has many items that Luessi doesn't.

Thanks again

Rick