Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2019 22:08:03(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I have converted to digital a couple of years and have several locos. One if my gripes is the high threshold to trigger brake squeal. Virtually I have to stop the locos at 2/3 of max speed or higher to trigger the squeal. Running at that speed is not prototypical for small to medium size layout. At lower speed the loco simply stops without making squeal. That is not very satisfactory.

I just found out if I set the acceleration and braking delay to 150, the locos will squeal at approx. 25% of max speed. It generally works for locos bought new from factory. However for converted locos I still have no success.

Anyway just want to share with you if you encounter similar issue.

Sebastian
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2019 23:21:58(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I think some decoders have a setting for how much deceleration is needed to trigger the brake squeal. Have you looked for such a setting?
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline QQQ1970  
#3 Posted : 01 December 2019 23:25:23(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
I think some decoders have a setting for how much deceleration is needed to trigger the brake squeal. Have you looked for such a setting?

Are you referring to brake delay? I note that in the config tab but have no idea what it does. Most of my locos are set at 35. Don't know what that means and I have not tried to adjust that.

Sebastian
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2019 02:25:55(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Brake squeal all depends on throttle position compared to loco speed.

The problem is factory settings for locos mean you can't reduce the throttle fast enough to typically trigger the squeal.

Increasing the delays (as you've found) is the easiest way to trigger it. Otherwise you need to be able to set throttle to zero instantly, on a CS2/3 this mean using a stylus and tapping the throttle bar to 0.

If you want realistic operations you need to have a realistic acceleration and braking delay set in any case.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline QQQ1970  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2019 02:53:43(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
That's has been my experience for the converted locos. I have to set throttle from 2/3 of max speed to zero instantly to trigger the squeal. I wonder why this is the case when the factory loco can squeal at a much lower speed.