Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2019 00:54:33(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Interesting article....

https://www.thetimes.co....d-gather-steam-d08pbs5zm

This is one area Marklin could certainly raise their profile, by 'outing' celebrity modelers running and buildings layouts from the House of Marklin range

Marklin H0 (obviously)
Trix & Minitrix
G1 & LGB
Mini-club

I'm sure there are some German celebrities already well-known but any outside of Germany?

I know we've discussed this in previous topics and quite a good who's who list has already been compiled so I won't repeat that here but this topic is just slightly different in looking for well-known M. modelers. Are there even any or do 'serious' modelers still snub their noses at us?

With the exposure from Rod Stewart, it would be great to see M. react and do an advertising campaign / TV commercials featuring a celebrity or two enjoying their hobby.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2019 13:08:18(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I agree!
Celebreties and tits can sell anything!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline rmsailor  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2019 18:05:46(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
That Rod Stewart has a large model railway was not actually completely new news as he has featured in the British press before quite apart from the articles in the Model Rail Roader. Which magazine has been distributed in the UK by Smiths for a number of years.
Bob M.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2019 21:24:56(UTC)
Webmaster

Unfortunately, my own rock'n'roll career dreams went up in smoke... BigGrin LOL
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2019 06:21:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, my own rock'n'roll career dreams went up in smoke... BigGrin LOL

Cheech and Chong even made a movie about just that LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2019 16:19:45(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
If you think celebrities are needed to promote model railroading your only half way there!

I have great admiration for Sir Rod Stewart, he's a famous successful singer and model railroader. As a model railroader he's just like the rest of us here on the forum, wonderful people!

But to be really honest the real celebrities should be us in promoting Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH!

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH. makes our dreams of model railroading come alive with their complete assortment of trains, tracks and supplies. No other manufacturer comes even close to what Märklin provides!

So if you think we need help I would say yes, Märklin is not well known in my part of the world. Fortunately I'm trying my best to promote Märklin! Because whenever I have guests over and my wife mentions that I am building a model train layout in the basement. I'll take them downstairs and then the inevitable always happens, the look of wonder and amazements! If I could take a picture of the guests reactions, now that would be a picture of happiness and that says it all about our great hobby! In my model train room Märklin to me is the real celebrity!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2019 18:25:16(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
If you think celebrities are needed to promote model railroading your only half way there!

I have great admiration for Sir Rod Stewart, he's a famous successful singer and model railroader. As a model railroader he's just like the rest of us here on the forum, wonderful people!

But to be really honest the real celebrities should be us in promoting Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH!

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH. makes our dreams of model railroading come alive with their complete assortment of trains, tracks and supplies. No other manufacturer comes even close to what Märklin provides!

So if you think we need help I would say yes, Märklin is not well known in my part of the world. Fortunately I'm trying my best to promote Märklin! Because whenever I have guests over and my wife mentions that I am building a model train layout in the basement. I'll take them downstairs and then the inevitable always happens, the look of wonder and amazements! If I could take a picture of the guests reactions, now that would be a picture of happiness and that says it all about our great hobby! In my model train room Märklin to me is the real celebrity!

If Marklin is not very well known in North America, it's because, I think, that the 2 rails prevail. The 3-rails is not well known in our part of America: no or few magazines, no or few great places with a layout.

There is a great place in Montreal with a great layout: maybe the biggest in North America: it was not far from my old place. I went there.
Layout in 2 rails. When I explained that I was a fan of the 3 rails, the guys' eyes turned into a firing squad. I was rejected by their looks, polite but firm . I stayed a while and left. I'll never set foot in it again.

Certain that MichelC, our Montreal member, must know the place.

Have a nice day

Serge
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2019 20:07:28(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
The 3-rails is not well known in our part of America: no or few magazines, no or few great places with a layout.

Isn't Lionel rather familiar "over there" ? Confused

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline michelvr  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2019 20:24:01(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
The 3-rails is not well known in our part of America: no or few magazines, no or few great places with a layout.

At the annual Barrie train show there is a layout made with GarGraves track that runs Lionel. Some dealers sell Lionel so there must be a following. Here a link to GarGraves:

http://www.gargraves.com/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2019 20:26:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Yeah, but that is "historic" and above all else "American", so because it was 'state of the art' back then it is tolerated. BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Alsterstreek  
#11 Posted : 01 December 2019 10:59:12(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Canadian show layout (Märklin H0) in Osoyoos, BC:

http://www.osoyoosrailroad.com/experience.html
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Thewolf  
#12 Posted : 01 December 2019 14:52:04(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

Thank you Alsterstreek Cool

When you look at the size of Canada, you might as well say that the 3 Marklin rails are non-existent and that confirms my comment

Thewolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline michelvr  
#13 Posted : 01 December 2019 15:10:24(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   

The small town of Osoyoos, B.C has the biggest Märklin model railroad in all of North America and is definitely on my to do list every time whenever I visit my in-laws in Kelowna BC!

I have had the pleasures of talking to Poul and Ulla Pedersen many times over the years and they are really, really nice people. Just in case no one know Ulna has hand painted each and every miniture figurine that graces this wonderful layout that Paul has built and there must be thousands of miniture figurines on the layout. Truly a sight too see!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Thewolf  
#14 Posted : 01 December 2019 15:31:08(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

The small town of Osoyoos, B.C has the biggest Märklin model railroad in all of North America and is definitely on my to do list every time whenever I visit my in-laws in Kelowna BC!

I have had the pleasures of talking to Poul and Ulla Pedersen many times over the years and they are really, really nice people. Just in case no one know Ulna has hand painted each and every miniture figurine that graces this wonderful layout that Paul has built and there must be thousands of miniture figurines on the layout. Truly a sight too see!

Site visit scheduled during our trip in BC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 02 December 2019 23:00:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
My opinion:
Using a celebrity for promotion works only for a product in common use.
Model railroading is discretionary spending, for those who have disposable income.

In Australia as example, we have a famous cricketer who promotes home air-conditioning.
I am sure that works, because the same promotions have been running for a decade.

A promotion for Maerklin would be a waste of money here.
The recent television campaign in Germany by Maerklin probably works there, and might appear rather inane (or even kitsch) elsewhere.
Not that I am criticising Germans broadly, or Maerklin in particular.
Maerklin is a hugely respected brand in Germany, and the advertisement would be meaningful for so many.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.