Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jags  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2019 22:44:22(UTC)
Jags

United States   
I'm looking for a list or other information regarding all the different Marklin American Locomotives in Z scale that have been produced. I already have an extensive collection of Marklin European Locomotives in Z scale but I am having a hard time finding out what Marklin has produced as far as American Locomotives are concerned. I'm thinking of building a layout based on the Grand Canyon Railway featuring the Grand Canyon station and the Williams station.

Also any good information of American Locomotives in Z scale produced by other manufacturers would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

Grand Canyon Layout.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jags
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2019 06:58:29(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

That looks like a great plan and you should be able to find some appropriate American locos for your layout.

I am not aware of any one location where all Marklin American engines are listed. There may be one but I don’t know where to find it.

American prototypes are a more recent z scale development for Marklin. I think some of the first were the popular F7s.

A more recent release were the E8s. There have been quite a few steam engines and a GG1 release but many of these have east coast road names and you may not be looking for these on a Grand Canyon layout. Another popular steamer is the bumble bee steam engine which I think is a 2-6-0 or 4-6-0 but this one was so popular it now sells for $400.00 or more when found on EBay. This is not one I take real notice of, it is out of my price range. I believe this engine would fit right into your layout as it has a more believable regional road name, I think it is Rio Grand RR. The F7 or E8 in Santa Fe or Union Pacific would also be nice

Perhaps someone will mention others which I have overlooked. I know American manufacturers produce a variety of appropriate engines but I am like you, modeling a European layout.

Best wishes. Hope this helps.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2019 14:24:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Two producers of US prototypes in Z scale:

https://www.micro-trains.com/

https://www.americanzline.com/

Good old Märklin US locos currently available on their website:
88198 DRGW F7 A-B-A
88626 UP E8B
88627 UP E8A
88628 SP E9A
88629 PRR E8A
https://www.maerklin.de/...ives/diesel-locomotives/
Selecting filter “only available” shows ( rather by coincidence) US diesels.

I couldn’t detect any US steamers on their website, although they used to offer at least a Mikado (e.g. art. 88812) and a Mogul (art. 88035).

For further inspiration:
https://www.ztrackmagazine.com/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline husafreak  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2019 18:28:35(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Check out www.Zscale.de “LokShop” for an extensive listing of Marklin Z scale locos and cars over the years. I don’t know if it has a filter function but it is fun to look at the archives anyway.
Maybe contact Frank at Z Scale Hobo? He might know as he does show some Marklin American locos on his website and he’s been doing this a long time. When I asked him what are the best 3 pole motor locos he recommended the American locos as very good runners.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Jags  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2019 03:35:20(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Thanks everyone for getting back to me.

Alsterstreek: Yes I'm familiar with AZL and Micro-lines and have checked out the websites. As far as the Marklin current items I do try to keep current with their new releases but I am mostly interested in what they have released in the past. There seems to be no place that keeps an organized record of all the different items that Marklin has released over the years and that was the reason for this post. Husafreak did mention the "LokShop" website. Not familiar with that site but I do frequent www.lokmuseum.de for information and I have been there many times. They have very good descriptions of almost everything that Marklin has released but unfortunately I have not found a way to filter the information they provide. Almost all of my purchases are used items off of ebay. Yes ztrackmagazine is also great and I have been there many times and I also have purchased a few Lococ through his resale website ztrackresale.

Here is what I have researched and found regarding Marklin Z American Locomotives:

8807/88807 : 2-8-2 Mikado Steam Locomotive available in a few different colors/versions over the years.
8881 : 4-6-2 Pacific Steam Locomotive.
88036 : 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive. I really like this little loco and missed the opportunity to buy one on ebay a while back. It would be perfect for the James West Wild Wild West "Wanderer" train I would like to put together.
88035 : 2-6-0 Steam Locomotive "Bumble Bee" that d_landen mentioned.
8867 : Diesel F7 made in different versions over the years.
88627 : Diesel E8 that seems to be a newer model.
Also the GG1 that d_landen mentioned.

Again not really much of a selection that I can find and I was hoping that someone might have had a listing of all the American Locos that Marklin may have released over the past years. Any one else with any info??

Thanks in advance once again!

Edited by user 26 November 2019 08:51:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jags  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2019 08:40:11(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Been doing some more layout planning expansion on the original Grand Canyon Layout plan. The layout is now covering 12 by 12 feet. I decided to try to make the Williams Station more prototypical. The Grand Canyon Station is actually laid out to scale at 12 feet. But the Williams station at 12 scale feet is only about a third the length that it should be. To make it to scale it would need to be about 34 feet long! It's been really fun planning this layout and trying to actually build it to scale. I was really happy when I determined that the Grand Canyon Station actually ended up being just about perfect to scale. A little more of a challenge for the Williams Station. However the working of the station will still be very prototypical to the real thing.

Thanks again!

Grand Canyon 12x12.png
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jags
Offline Jags  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2019 08:59:04(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Sorry for the multiple posts but I just figured out how to do a basic filter search at the lokmuseum site.

Here is the STEAM LINK that shows all the Marklin Z Steam Locomotives that were produced.

Here is the DIESEL LINK for the Diesel Locs.

It's not too difficult to scroll through the pages and find the American specimens. Unfortunately it still doesn't show everything made by Marklin like the 88036 Steam Loco I mentioned above. I do hope it still will be a help to others.

Thanks!

For fun here is the photoshop I did for the Wild Wild West "Wanderer" using the 88036 Steamer and carriages from the 87910 set.

Wild Wild West.jpg

And the original from the TV Show.

Wanderer.jpg
Offline zoooctan  
#8 Posted : 26 February 2020 08:05:09(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Views messages in topic : 65
Hello Jags. I just was reading this and I am similar to you in the sense that I have been inspired to build an old steam era US freelance layout.
However one choice curiously missing from all the lists above is my favourite and this is set Marklin 81419.
To me this is the best set and I own quite a few. It is the "original" 4-6-0 that Marklin produced and is dedicated to Casey Jones. The locomotive and tender are brass!
It comes in a set with passenger coaches and it thus more expensive. But prices do vary and you can quite often find a few on auctions sites.

I have an instagram account under @halland_z where I put up my layout photos and often put up my favourite photos.
Here are some posts of my modified 4-6-0s:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8u0ZW7nMGy/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3EZqwEnmQn/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B10xc1NnlBc/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz0Iw8YH2rO/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B15q9OlnjB5/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zoooctan