Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2019 02:48:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello,

I just realised that DB are building a bypass for the famous climb from Göppingen to Ulm.
Here is a plan (acknolwedgment to Deutsch Bahn for copyright):
UserPostedImage

A 10 minute video is at:
Ulm_Stuttgart new route

It involves some complex re-routing around Stuttgart.
This is because the new line crosses the Neckar River arriving in Stuttgart on the west side, whereas the old route is on the east side.
A related video on the river crossing:
Neckar River crossing

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2019 12:58:03(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I imagine that with higher and higher speeds, it is necessary, and a rebuild of Geislingen route would be prohibitive cost-wise and might raise some objections on some basis. I wonder if parts of the Steige will become Heritage Routes?

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2019 17:30:41(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
The Geislinger Steige forms part of the Filstalbahn (= Fils Valley Railway). I understand that the Filstalbahn will continue to see regional passenger and - since the new bypass is to steep for heavy freight trains - freight operations.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2019 03:39:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I just realised that DB are building a bypass for the famous climb from Göppingen to Ulm.
Here is a plan (acknolwedgment to Deutsch Bahn for copyright):
UserPostedImage

A 10 minute video is at:
Ulm_Stuttgart new route

It involves some complex re-routing around Stuttgart.
This is because the new line crosses the Neckar River arriving in Stuttgart on the west side, whereas the old route is on the east side.
A related video on the river crossing:
Neckar River crossing

regards
Kimball

No offense Kimball,

this line Stuttgart Ulm is not just a bypass. It is a complete, brand new highspeed railway line with several new connections to other lines, set up new local traffic lines and other railway stations like one at the Airport Stuttgart. Goeppingen and the Geislinger Steige will be cut off from the major train route Stuttgart - Ulm - München.Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org...93Ulm_high-speed_railway

ashort video about the main routing

and the main website about the project

http://www.bahnprojekt-stuttgart-ulm.de/en/

This new route will be a part of the high speed European railway line Paris - Budapest. For me the major single project is the complete new construction of the central station in Stuttgart.

https://en.wikipedia.org...i/Stuttgart_Hauptbahnhof

This station will be twisted by 90° and changes from a railhead station to a throughfare station. All will be built totally under the earth.
The old station will be closed then. Only the so called Bonatz building (named by its architect) kept on its place. The nowadays existing railway tracks will be rebuild with houses, offices, shops and parks. The total project shall cost about 5 to 6 Billion €. Some estimates the costs up to 10 Billion €. Quite some money for just a bypass.BigGrin

regards

Wolfgang
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2019 10:26:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
this line Stuttgart Ulm is not just a bypass. It is a complete, brand new highspeed railway line with several new connections to other lines, set up new local traffic lines and other railway stations like one at the Airport Stuttgart. Goeppingen and the Geislinger Steige will be cut off from the major train route Stuttgart - Ulm - München.Smile ....

This station will be twisted by 90° and changes from a railhead station to a throughfare station. All will be built totally under the earth.
The old station will be closed then. Only the so called Bonatz building (named by its architect) kept on its place. The nowadays existing railway tracks will be rebuild with houses, offices, shops and parks. The total project shall cost about 5 to 6 Billion €. Some estimates the costs up to 10 Billion €. Quite some money for just a bypass.BigGrin

regards

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,
Thanks for the extra information.
Yes I got the story that it will cut an express train time (Stuttgart-Ulm) from 54 minutes to 28 minutes.
That is a big saving, and I can appreciate it is part of a grander plan for Europe.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2019 17:40:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi Wolfgang,
Thanks for the extra information.
Yes I got the story that it will cut an express train time (Stuttgart-Ulm) from 54 minutes to 28 minutes.
That is a big saving, and I can appreciate it is part of a grander plan for Europe.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,

did you get notice from the huge Austrian rail project of a brand new Brenner Base Tunnel (BBT)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenner_Base_Tunnel

https://www.bbt-se.com/en/

This tunnel will be even longer than the Gotthard tunnel in Switzerland. Half of the tunnel will be in Italy. As in Switzerland Germany do not fullfill its contractual obligations for building and/or renewing the train feeding lines to the Gotthard tunnel. In Austria by the BBT happens the same. Austria is building the tunnel and Germany is doing nothing for the track feeding lines for this tunnel. These lines are already at their capacity limit. As well as the Autobahn is exploding by its truck traffic.

I think @cookie-NZ mentioned it too, while he was on his European train tour passing Germany.

Germany is investing so much money into this Stuttgart 2000 project (that is the name of the complete new high speed line project), but no money into the BBT feeding lines and only a few money into the Gotthard feeding track lines.

Do you remember the accident in Bruchsal, when the major railroad Rhine line from NL to CH and Italy was closed for months, because of this desaster with the tunnel digging machine? This is such a project for the feeding track line to the Gotthard.

Also did you get informed about the new tunnel for trains and cars between Germany and Denmark? The so called "Vogelfluglinie"? Same thing, Denmark wants to build it and Germany is doing again nothing. But Germany is always talking about Europe, but they do nothing for Europe. I think the goverment over here is getting silly and ridiculous.

regards

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2019 23:53:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Do you remember the accident in Bruchsal, when the major railroad Rhine line from NL to CH and Italy was closed for months, because of this desaster with the tunnel digging machine? This is such a project for the feeding track line to the Gotthard.

Also did you get informed about the new tunnel for trains and cars between Germany and Denmark? The so called "Vogelfluglinie"? Same thing, Denmark wants to build it and Germany is doing again nothing. But Germany is always talking about Europe, but they do nothing for Europe. I think the goverment over here is getting silly and ridiculous.

regards

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Maybe I should have said a grand plan for Germany ........
Maerklin are in on it too, with the era VI offering of the BR193 36182 and the container cars 47130 und 47131 which are used in earthworks.
I did not connect these before.

No I did not know about the Bruchsal incident.
Yes I was aware of the "Vogelfluglinie" because one of my adult daughters lives in Aarhus.
And I am not cognisant enough of European politics to be able to comment.
But I listen.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow