Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2019 11:59:52(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hi everyone.

I am building my second C track layout. I have an ECOS running the system as a single block. On my first railway, I used and Arduino and some light dependent resistors to indicate when loks had reached the end of my storage sidings.

This time, I am wondering if i can do it using standard Marklin/ESU stuff.

Is the following correct, or a load of rubbish?

I need a Marklin Link S88 box, which can report on 16 blocks(?). I connect this to the S88 connector on my ECOS. I then but some track isolators (little red things - grin) on a track section near the end of my storage line. I then put a contact track in that isolated section and wire it to the S88 box. Then I can pick up the event on my ECOS.

Is that right? If not, how would I do this?
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2019 13:23:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David

You got this right BUT don't forget to cut (twice on each rail) the piece connecting both rails otherwise it will show permanent occupation
Cheers

Jean
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2019 13:32:07(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi David

You got this right BUT don't forget to cut (twice on each rail) the piece connecting both rails otherwise it will show permanent occupation
Cheers

Jean

Oh I see. I must isolate each outer rail from the other? Is that right?
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2019 13:41:25(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
I need a Marklin Link S88 box, which can report on 16 blocks(?). I connect this to the S88 connector on my ECOS. I then but some track isolators (little red things - grin) on a track section near the end of my storage line. I then put a contact track in that isolated section and wire it to the S88 box. Then I can pick up the event on my ECOS.

Right.
I dont know if this is just semantics, but after cutting the metal-strips separating each outer rail, and installing the red plastic-shoe(s), you dont need any "contact track". With the above operation you have converted the track into the contact-track that you need, once you connect the isolated rail to the S88!

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2019 15:20:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

If I want to send a train to a siding I set up an event which changes the turnouts and stops the loco when reaching a contact in the yard. I just use a circuit track in the yard.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2019 15:22:47(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

If I want to send a train to a siding I set up an event which changes the turnouts and stops the loco when reaching a contact in the yard. I just use a circuit track in the yard.

As I use an ECOS, your CS3 instructions won't mean much but can you be a bit more specific as to how you set up the track.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2019 16:57:51(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
you have to isolate a length on ONE side. The other side grounds the isolated section through a train axle.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2019 17:13:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

As I use an ECOS, your CS3 instructions won't mean much but can you be a bit more specific as to how you set up the track.

oops sorry David forget it was an ECOS. and I don't know how events work with that but I would have though that you can attach a circuit track to an S88 which will stop your loco at any given point. For me it is easier than a contact track and avoids cutting the rails etc.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.