Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2019 22:54:05(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I am planning a locali goods train = mostly coal wagons for my layout. Mostly late 60s but flexible. I have a V200 but that is too big and my V60 is the station shunter.

I know little or nothing about DB.

So, what would you recommend for this. Must be modern digital with sound.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2019 23:28:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know whether a local goods train would be a coal train, or whether it would be a mixed goods train, which would be carrying an assortment of freight from a marshalling yard to local goods depot at the station or local companies.

I guess maybe a V100 (Br 212) diesel would be a good option for local freight.

There was a book called Zugbildung Epoch III by Michael Meinhold (Miba) which is still floating around from time to time.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2019 00:55:39(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
.. I guess maybe a V100 (Br 212) diesel would be a good option for local freight.

Regards

Mike C

I agree with Mike - a BR212 as he says.
Look at the 37009.
Mind you the V60 was widely used for almost anything, including main line transfers.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2019 03:51:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Does it have to be diesel ? electric locos: DB BR 91 or 191, diesel DB BR V 188, steam loco DB BR 41, DB BR 44, DB BR 50, BR 52, BR 85, BR 86,
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2019 09:01:04(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Late 60´es you say¿?
Get a BR50 steamer. They were widely used for EVERYTHING, and the germans had them by the thousands!
(Apart from that a BR50kab is about as beautiful as they get, for a layout... Drool Drool Drool )
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2019 13:56:31(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
As Henrik wrote, the german choice for coal trains would be a BR 50, BR 44 or BR 58
The logic is to use coal to deliver coal
Since I run sound trains the diesel sound is just noise while steam sound is music (my opinion)
V200 was used mostly on passenger trains even if very old locos are used to less noble tasks (track laying)
Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 18 October 2019 23:28:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2019 05:33:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
I am planning a locali goods train = mostly coal wagons for my layout. Mostly late 60s but flexible. I have a V200 but that is too big and my V60 is the station shunter.

I know little or nothing about DB.

So, what would you recommend for this. Must be modern digital with sound.

What do you think about a V 290 (length 16,4 cm)? Not as long as the V 200 (length 21 cm) but also a loco not only used for shunting.

https://www.maerklin.de/...tails/article/39902/136/

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Bones  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2019 06:12:02(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
In my experience and my father was a railway engineer they roster locomotives that can haul the train up the ruling grade for the route based on train weight

So if your pulling only a few cars they could use any loco even a Kof tractor

Use of locomotives aren't restricted to a particular type of train they are designed for utility IE they may be designed to pull heavy passenger but must also be able to work branch lines
as well

So my advice is if your pulling 5 or less cars use a small loco any more use a big one beacuse that what the railways do
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bones
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2019 11:18:49(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post
In my experience and my father was a railway engineer they roster locomotives that can haul the train up the ruling grade for the route based on train weight

Use of locomotives aren't restricted to a particular type of train they are designed for utility IE they may be designed to pull heavy passenger but must also be able to work branch lines
as well

So my advice is if your pulling 5 or less cars use a small loco any more use a big one because that what the railways do

I have been offered a nice little 39640 BR64, which Wikipedia tells me is for short passenger trains. On your advice, it would not be a problem to use this on the front of a short goods train?
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 04 November 2019 21:38:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
BR 64 is nice loco . If you like then just use it to pull what you want. Either coaches or if you want wagons. My view is if you have the right era then that is more important than what you pull.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#11 Posted : 04 November 2019 22:07:19(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
BR 64 is nice loco . If you like then just use it to pull what you want. Either coaches or if you want wagons. My view is if you have the right era then that is more important than what you pull.

Thanks for the comments. As I know zip about German railways, I am not sure quite why I worry. Especially as I run SBB 482 Cargos against Crocs and DB141s against BR23 and BR24!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline Tex  
#12 Posted : 05 November 2019 20:19:12(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post

as well

So my advice is if your pulling 5 or less cars use a small loco any more use a big one beacuse that what the railways do

I have a coal train that services a local power plant using 6 loaded gondolas and 6 empty ones . Early in the morning a engine arrives with a loaded train which it leaves on a siding while it goes to pull the empty cars from the power plant . It then pushes the loaded cars into the power plant siding and then leaves with empties . I use either a Marklin 3031 class 81 steam engine or a Marklin 37649 V60 because of their remote couplers . Tex
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tex