Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eberhardt  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2019 20:02:17(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
I got my 29000 pack today and 3 converter sets. Doh! I got the wrong ones. I got the 60760 but I need the one ending 943, need to buy Loco's to suit the decoders nowBlushingConfused . What are loco' cards and where do I buy them? I also got some connectors to join up with my 'M' track, so it won't be wasted. I've demolished the old layout, so I'm going to have to empty the garage to build a new, bigger one. I only have the MS2 because the engines and stock that I have wouldn't justify something as expensive as the CS3, although, if I get on with this new digital stuff, I may become obsessed again and turn into a layout hermit, as before, living in the garage. John.
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2019 22:59:31(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: eberhardt Go to Quoted Post
I got my 29000 pack today and 3 converter sets. Doh! I got the wrong ones. I got the 60760 but I need the one ending 943, need to buy Loco's to suit the decoders nowBlushingConfused . What are loco' cards and where do I buy them?

On a loco card you save all the settings you have done with your loco. It is a back-up as well as a possibility for a data transfer of your loco using other layouts with your loco.

You may buy such cards at

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/60135/

or

https://www.reichelt.de/...arte-8kb-p37024.html?r=1

or at other electronic shops. Just be aware about the technical chip conditions.

I also got some connectors to join up with my 'M' track, so it won't be wasted. I've demolished the old layout, so I'm going to have to empty the garage to build a new, bigger one. I only have the MS2 because the engines and stock that I have wouldn't justify something as expensive as the CS3, although, if I get on with this new digital stuff, I may become obsessed again and turn into a layout hermit, as before, living in the garage. John.

Now you got your MS 2. Use it, have fun and think about a CS 3 in, well say about 5 years time. Ok I bought my CS 3+ after 4 years restarting playing with a MRR. My starter set came with 2 MS 2 and a track box. I still use both on a small separate test layout.

The major point for your MS 2 is, do you have the newest softare version 3.55 at the MS 2 and track box? If not, ask your dealer for the update, where you bought your package.

About the new MS 2 update read at this thread more:

https://www.marklin-user...-for-32-Function-support

Laugh Laugh Laugh oh yes you are right, "I get on with this new digital stuff, I may become obsessed again". So it will be. It only flaws your moneybag. Not important.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline eberhardt  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2019 08:51:59(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Thank you TeeWulf, The cards sound interesting, a good way of storing info'. I'm not very good at finding stuff on digital systems, I've got files on this computer somewhere which I sometimes try to dig out, but I've no doubt that when I'm gone my son will find them. The old fashioned filing system is still useful. I got my MS2 from Marklin in Germany so I presume it's up to date, but I guess I'll find out as soon as I get to know it better, much work to do first. Thanks for the links. You are correct about what happens to the money bags, I discovered the joys of Marklin 50 years ago and, although I haven't accumulated a lot of it over the years, (Expensive), I have enjoyed using the little that I have. I can see in the near future that my pensions are going to get hammered. I have noticed that, on e-bay, prices for second hand equipment are now much easier on the wallet. I might invest in some of it, just to make it possible to buy food as well. Thanks again for the info'. John.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by eberhardt
Offline dominator  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2019 21:12:19(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Loco cards can be bought on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm...id=p2060353.m1438.l2649.

I recommend using them. They even save the data from mfx locos. Sometime my MS2's seem reluctant to do what you want and the loco cards are a good backup.

The latest MS2's have 40 visible loco slots.

Dereck

ps, Marklin is Mind Food.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2019 21:30:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

@dominator

Thanks for your link to eBay. It is anoher helpful sourceCool.

@eberhardt

you even may buy it in any electronic shop nearby. You only shall be aware about the "AT24C64 64K EEPROM White PVC Contact Smart Chip Security Card". This is the technical specification for a loco card.
Offline eberhardt  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2019 21:57:46(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Thanks Dominator and Teewolf, I just looked on e-bay at those cards. They have 100 year data retention, that will be handy when I get a bit older. : ) John.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by eberhardt
Offline eberhardt  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2019 23:30:27(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
I just destroyed my first digital conversion.LOL What an idiot. I did everything correctly, (I am competent with electrics) I put the engine on the track and MS2 found it, the light came on when I toggled the switch so I turned the control knob to set her rolling. Disaster! Confused The light went out and then nothing. Like a fool I had used the replacement bolts which came with the kit and they are too long. I had jammed it up with the bolts and the decoder had burnt out. It took me an hour of using my test set before I tried to find the fault mechanically by taking it apart. Just half a turn on the bolts loosened it enough to run by turning the cogs by hand. That is the end of lesson one, next time I'll cut the bolts. LOL Crying Crying BigGrin I do feel rather stupid. John.
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 30 October 2019 00:28:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

I just destroyed my first digital conversion.LOL What an idiot. I did everything correctly, (I am competent with electrics) I put the engine on the track and MS2 found it, the light came on when I toggled the switch so I turned the control knob to set her rolling. Disaster! Confused The light went out and then nothing. Like a fool I had used the replacement bolts which came with the kit and they are too long. I had jammed it up with the bolts and the decoder had burnt out. It took me an hour of using my test set before I tried to find the fault mechanically by taking it apart. Just half a turn on the bolts loosened it enough to run by turning the cogs by hand. That is the end of lesson one, next time I'll cut the bolts. LOL Crying Crying BigGrin I do feel rather stupid. John.

Well, I can imagine as angry you are. Shit happens. But do not blame yourself. It happend to me too and for me it is learning by doing. Try to find out what happened and start again, because you are definitely not stupid.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 30 October 2019 01:33:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I had used the replacement bolts which came with the kit and they are too long.

You wouldn't be the first person to do that, I did it with one of my early conversions and the motor bound up as a result. Fortunately I didn't burn the decoder out and everything worked when I used the original bolts. You can probably find comments on the forum from me about doing this.

Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 30 October 2019 02:18:57(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
That information about the loco cards actually came to compliments of XXUP.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline eberhardt  
#11 Posted : 30 October 2019 08:30:19(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Thank you for your encouraging remarks TEEwolf and Bigdaddynz. I should have done a search on here before I started. I've had a few hours sleep so I've unwound and now I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver a new decoder. As I said, 'It's a lesson learned', I have already cut the bolts down a bit and installed one other which works fine. I'm on a roll. Cool
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 31 October 2019 21:25:00(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Lococards seem most useful for when you bring your loco to someone else's layout, or want to quickly let a MS2 control a specific loco on short notice. You have stored all of the info for a loco's config on the loco card, so you just plug in the card into the MS2 and it then knows about the loco settings. Or you bring your loco and its card to someone else's layout, plug in the card, and the layout knows about your loco's settings. I think that's how those things are used. If you're just playing at home with a small amount of locos, the cards don't provide any benefit I can think of. (correct me if I'm wrong please)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#13 Posted : 31 October 2019 22:13:38(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
If you have a big collection of ”non-mfx” locos, the loco cards can be used to store all the settings. But each card is for just one loco. Anyway it is possible to use the cards to transfer data to another MS or CS or to save more locos than you have room for in a MS.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist