Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2019 11:26:09(UTC)
Goofy

Hello!
There is still no information about how to program m83/m84 with the MS2 by set the value output.
For exemple to use motor control by follow step by step to set the value in the m83.
Nobody tried and tested this way?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2019 08:56:23(UTC)
Goofy

Nobody knows how to program value and set it with the m83 via MS2?
H0
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2019 22:11:25(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
The m83 may be programmed as a DCC device - as are the m84, roadbed decoders, signals
The Mobile Station 60653/60657 (and Trix) may program DCC decoders (both Locomotive and Stationary).

The only things worth commenting on are
- that the Mobile Station Manual - uses the term "Locomotive Programming" in DCC and thus incorrectly implies that you cannot decoder non-locomotive decoders
- You just use the the same process, with a dummy locomotive definition
Peter
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2019 02:15:30(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Goofy, sorry I have 2 MS 2 but I programm only with my CS 3+. So I do not study the usage of a MS 2 in all its functions. I restrict it to the ones I want to use. But in the Maerklin Magazine are between MM 01/2018 to the latest 05/2019 meanwhile 6 articles "All about the MS 2".

https://www.maerklin.de/...men-specials-und-serien/

The series #5 describes the programming of the various decoders for solenoid articles. Why do you not look up there, if you do not want to study the manual for a MS 2?

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2019 10:10:31(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Goofy, sorry I have 2 MS 2 but I programm only with my CS 3+. So I do not study the usage of a MS 2 in all its functions. I restrict it to the ones I want to use. But in the Maerklin Magazine are between MM 01/2018 to the latest 05/2019 meanwhile 6 articles "All about the MS 2".

https://www.maerklin.de/...men-specials-und-serien/

The series #5 describes the programming of the various decoders for solenoid articles. Why do you not look up there, if you do not want to study the manual for a MS 2?

Regards

TEEWolf

Confused Confused Confused
What not want to study the manual for a MS2???
I did stand a question how to set the value in the m83 for the motor control 60821.
There is CV 112- CV 135 which are configuration for outputs and possible switch functions too to set.
That is a big problem for those who use MS2.
m83 is an turnout decoder and doesn´t have same physical function like locomotive decoder by set in every output to write the values.
That´s way i want to know how to do it by learn understanding about MS2.
Not even Märklin did present how to configuration the values in every output in a turnout decoder m83.

H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2019 23:23:06(UTC)
TEEWolf

Confused Confused Confused
What not want to study the manual for a MS2???
I did stand a question how to set the value in the m83 for the motor control 60821.
There is CV 112- CV 135 which are configuration for outputs and possible switch functions too to set.
That is a big problem for those who use MS2.
m83 is an turnout decoder and doesn´t have same physical function like locomotive decoder by set in every output to write the values.
That´s way i want to know how to do it by learn understanding about MS2.
Not even Märklin did present how to configuration the values in every output in a turnout decoder m83.

Don't you got a CS 3 too? A CS 3 has an internal support for configurating a m83.
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 28 October 2019 05:43:25(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Don't you got a CS 3 too? A CS 3 has an internal support for configurating a m83.

So you are telling to me, that it´s waste of time by use MS2 with the m83 by saying: "It does not work". Confused
H0
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 28 October 2019 20:35:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So Märklin recently released a YouTube video specifically on this: how to use a MS2 to change CV values on a track signal - the technique is the same for the M83/84 as it is for the signal: you use DCC programming.

Key points:
1) You need to switch the thing you want to program into DCC mode (out of MM mode) so that it will respond as a DCC device.
2) You need to then "ADD" that device to your MS2, as a new Locomotive - because the MS2 only has the concept of "Locomotive" as a new device. Set it up as a DCC device, with the DCC address you gave it... so you need to set the DIP switches on the device to set the mode to DCC and the DCC address I think.
3) Then you can program the CVs (with a MS2, I believe you can NOT read out CV values, you can only set them)

The German language video, where they go through programming a semphore signal's behavior CVs using a MS2:

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 28 October 2019 22:04:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

So you are telling to me, that it´s waste of time by use MS2 with the m83 by saying: "It does not work". Confused

No, I did not. Meanwhile @Minok saved he problem with this video about the MS 2. Thanks Minok.

The trick for the MS 2 seems to be using the menu for locos programming a solenoid articel or decoder at a MS 2. But set the decoder, etc. to DCC first and afterwards back to the original format. Makes only sense, if you do not use the DCC format for in other cases.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 29 October 2019 00:23:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Marklins M83, M84 and signals MAY have their register values (sic CVs) up to #80 programmed using MM protocol,
However using the DCC protocol is the only way to address CVs above this false MM limit.
(Yes I know there are a few exceptions .... :-( )

What needs to be understood is that once configured, the values are retained if you switch the m83/m84 (or signals) back to MM mode.

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Key points:
1) You need to switch the thing you want to program into DCC mode (out of MM mode) so that it will respond as a DCC device.

a) The device needs to be set to DCC mode in order to communicate with a DCC controller - DIP switch 10 on
b) While the Mobile Station may concurrently control locomotives in MM,FX,DCC,MFX on a per address basis, the implementation for Accessories is ALL MM or ALL DCC. In order to program in DCC the Accessory (Magnet/Signal) protocol should be set to DCC.

Please note, with a Mobile Station programming is done to the whole layout, there is no separate programming track. For this reason I suggest returning devices to MM mode after configuration, otherwise devices already installed will end up with their configuration corrupted.

This is why you see the final steps to return the device (DIP sw 10) and the Mobile Station protocol back to MM

2) You need to then "ADD" that device to your MS2, as a new Locomotive - because the MS2 only has the concept of "Locomotive" as a new device. Set it up as a DCC device, with the DCC address you gave it... so you need to set the DIP switches on the device to set the mode to DCC and the DCC address I

IF you already have a DCC locomotive defined, you may use that as a proxy reference.

The address is not important as the programming method used (non PoM and non MM REG mode) just broadcasts to anyone listening

As above, because there is no Programming track with the Mobile Station all devices will get the configuration commands.
Ensure you have no locos on the track - better still disconnect the mobile station (Track Box) from the layout

Even if you have set your other accessories to MM, their power draw will adversely affect the read back if not the writing to a new device being targeted.

3) Then you can program the CVs (with a MS2, I believe you can NOT read out CV values, you can only set them)

Incorrect in the context of DCC without PoM

I would highly recommend that the m83 is powered (with a 6636*), otherwise you may get a corrupt value read back (usually looses bit 0 )
Peter