Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2019 09:15:30(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good morning,
I have a question that may seem useless but maybe who has these parts can answer.

If I want to power the m83 without using the EcOS track power supply I need an external power supply, 66360, and a 60822 .
Why do I need a 60822 ? I need 2 power supplies ? This is odd.

Thank you

Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2019 10:08:19(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Good morning,
I have a question that may seem useless but maybe who has these parts can answer.

If I want to power the m83 without using the EcOS track power supply I need an external power supply, 66360, and a 60822 .
Why do I need a 60822 ? I need 2 power supplies ? This is odd.

Thank you

Hello!
No you need just only one external power supply 60822 and 66360 to feed all turnouts decoder, but they must been hooked up next to together.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2019 11:11:47(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Search 60822 and you will find many learned members expressing the view 60822 don't bother just plug your 66360 straight into the side of your M83/84. I have a M83 and a M84 joined together and fed in just that way. My problem is that it is over in that remote part of the layout which is a bit difficult to reach with my two "new" knees. It was very convienient to plug 66360 into a nearby wall socket however that meant I could never turn it off!
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2019 18:30:50(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I've read some of the older posts on the 60822. Interesting. Thank you
But if I do not connect the track wires to the m83, as I use the 66360, how will the impulses to change the switch position on the display of the EcOS reach the motors ?
Or I still need the track wires to reach the m83 but the motors will be powered via the 66360 ?
Puzzled
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2019 18:42:57(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
You still connect from the M83 to the track with a red and a brown. Extract from manual:

"Electrical Connections (see page 2) The m83 decoder only needs to be connected to the track current and to the turnouts to be controlled. The decoder can also be connected to the 66360/66365 switched mode power pack (only in conjunction with 60822) (here power is not taken from the track and the power demanded from the track is thereby less). The ends of the wires must be stripped and twisted but not tinned for electrical connections to the decoder and from turnouts to the decoder. The set screws on the terminals must be loosened before connecting the ends of the wires to them. Several m83/m84 decoders can be plugged together with the side plug contacts. No extension or connecting wire may be used for this. All of the decoders plugged together are supplied with power from the power connections (power supply or track connections) made to the first turnout decoder. No other track connections may be made."

Take the "only in connection with a 60822" with a pinch of salt
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2019 19:32:29(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
You still connect from the M83 to the track with a red and a brown. Extract from manual:

"Electrical Connections (see page 2) The m83 decoder only needs to be connected to the track current and to the turnouts to be controlled. The decoder can also be connected to the 66360/66365 switched mode power pack (only in conjunction with 60822) (here power is not taken from the track and the power demanded from the track is thereby less). The ends of the wires must be stripped and twisted but not tinned for electrical connections to the decoder and from turnouts to the decoder. The set screws on the terminals must be loosened before connecting the ends of the wires to them. Several m83/m84 decoders can be plugged together with the side plug contacts. No extension or connecting wire may be used for this. All of the decoders plugged together are supplied with power from the power connections (power supply or track connections) made to the first turnout decoder. No other track connections may be made."

This "only connection with a 60822" is not required. Here at marklin-users.net it was a few weeks ago discussed.

https://www.marklin-user...22-Universal-Supply-Unit

https://www.marklin-user...-Switch-Powerpack--60822
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Rwill  
#7 Posted : 28 October 2019 19:59:03(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

This "only connection with a 60822" is not required. Here at marklin-users.net it was a few weeks ago discussed.

https://www.marklin-user...22-Universal-Supply-Unit

https://www.marklin-user...-Switch-Powerpack--60822

I think that's what I said when I recommended in my post to read posts through a search on 60822 on the forum. It is said repeatedly by the real digital experts of this forum. I realise of course that saying to take a subject with a pinch of salt may not be understood by all and feature in your translation software

Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 28 October 2019 20:30:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

I think that's what I said when I recommended in my post to read posts through a search on 60822 on the forum. It is said repeatedly by the real digital experts of this forum. I realise of course that saying to take a subject with a pinch of salt may not be understood by all and feature in your translation software

Correct, I am not familiar with your English colloquial expressions. I avoid salt at my MRR. It could get rusty pretty quick.BigGrin

If you want to have a look inside a 60822 see here at the Stummi forum.

https://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=132575

Member Krauß describes in an excellent way 60822 including pictures from the 60822 UVE (= Universalversorgungseinheit - my kernel salt Laugh) and its necessity.

His final conclusion:

"Does the question arise as to whether one really needs the UVE?

Märklin says yes and has to. After all, filtration is important for compliance with legal regulations. Let's assume you don't see it so closely. Can't you then simply supply the m83/m84 decoders directly with a 66361 switching power supply, the connections are there? The way it looks, it practically works. You can even plug several decoders next to each other and supply them from one power supply unit.
What gets lost, besides the filtering, is the fuse protection. In the event of a short circuit, a large current could flow over the modules and destroy them. So let it be better."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 30 October 2019 08:26:25(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
so if I have a 66201, which delivers 18VA I should be fine using it to power my m83, correct ?
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 01 November 2019 08:03:48(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
so if I have a 66201, which delivers 18VA I should be fine using it to power my m83, correct ?

Märklin says 66360.
You can try with 66201, but i am not sure if this power is enough…
Depends how many turnouts decoder and the LED´s is lighting up and when you switch over.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control