Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2019 13:10:57(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good morning,
I've tried using JMRI but when it comes to building a roster reading my locos from the EcOS system it asks which decoders my locos mount and as they are 90% Maerklin I can't load any.
All other manufacturers exist but not Maerklin.

I've downloaded v. 4.16 so it should be the latest one.

Suggestions ?

Thank you
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2019 13:39:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Good morning,
I've tried using JMRI but when it comes to building a roster reading my locos from the EcOS system it asks which decoders my locos mount and as they are 90% Maerklin I can't load any.
All other manufacturers exist but not Maerklin.

I've downloaded v. 4.16 so it should be the latest one.

Suggestions ?

Thank you

You probably need 4.17.x, I think the latest is 4.17.4 development release. It will have only the mld/msd/mld3/msd3 series decoders as these are the only configurable decoders. So if you have locos with older decoders you will not be able to put them in a roster, as I understand it.

Just checked, as of today JMRI 4.17.4 is the latest development release, I would give that a try, as by the time they release code as a development release it is normally pretty stable, although occasionally they do manage to stuff things up (there is a major fix between 4.16.0 and 4.17.4 for serial communications to command stations, but this won't affect talking to an eCos).
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2019 09:20:33(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi Alan,
thank you for your answer. I'm using TouchCab at the moment and it works fine for what it is. Wanted to see what JMRI does but the fact that I can't load older Maerklin decoders limits the usability of the software. I don't want to program the decoders I want to run the locos present on my EcOS as I do with TouchCab and maybe add routing of trains if I can define them. Mainly my PC becomes an extension of the EcOS.
Offline costing  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2019 03:18:10(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Normally JMRI should see whatever your base station sees. In my case (DCC++) only the newer (mSD/3, mLD/3) Marklin decoders are seen, since only they support the DCC protocol.

Maybe it is a setting related to the protocols that are enabled on the ecos side?
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2019 12:14:02(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I'm now trying v 17.4
Don't know if the same exists for 16.4 as I didn't get this far.

ECoS has to be on prior to anything !!!

When you create a new entry in the JMRI roster you can either place the loco on the programming track or leave it on main.

For DCC locos putting them on the programming trackis better.
You start the DecoderPro application, then click on the '+ New Loco' button and click on the button, 'Read type from decoder', located at the bottom of the huge decoder list panel and you wait for it to read it. If it can't find it you select amongst the types suggested. I have recycled some old Uhlenbrok decoders, of which I don't recall the model number, so I just selected one. They work.

For Marklin Delta decoders you can leave the loco on the tracks. In the menu bar of The DecoderPro application you can find the entry ECoS, but I believe that whichever controller you may have will appear here too, you click on it and then select 'ECoS' loco database. The data base of the ECoS opens up, for every entry there is a button 'Add to roster'. The decoder selectionpage opens up. Obviously there is no Maerklin decoder listed anywhere but the system suggests a few decoder options. I opted for the suggested type ZTC -> Legacy family decoders. My Zeppelin works fine when I open the Throttle for this loco.

I'll keep invetigating though :-)