Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2019 20:53:12(UTC)
db ice3

hello gauge 1 folks,

i would like to buy a gauge 1 55681 and am off all of this coming week and theres lot of cheap seats over to mainland europe.

im wondering where may be the best shop to goto to buy this locomotive to bring back home to the uk.

which marklin dealers are most recommended - good service and price. i dont travelling - iv got the week off and its all part of the adventure going to get it and bring it home!.

Edited by moderator 15 October 2019 10:29:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2019 23:33:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
That's the latest Gauge 1 Crocodile, worth 3500€. As such, not many dealers would actually carry it in stock for someone who might walk in off the street. It would be an item they would order in.

You could try the Märklin Shop attached to the Märklin factory in Göppingen, they had a black Gauge 1 Croc there when I visited a few weeks ago and may well also have 55681 (there was one on the test track in the factory!).

Otherwise you might need to do your internet research first to see who might have one.

I deal with Lokshop - www.lokshop.de - who are about 1.5 hours by train away from Stuttgart, and are open on Tuesday afternoons (Yes, I visited when there). Roland could order you one in and he usually gives some discount on G1 items.

You catch the train from Stuttgart to Pforzheim, then transfer trains to one that will take you to Grötzingen (there are two consecutive stations with Grötzingen in their names - get off at the 2nd one). Lokshop is based about 5 minutes walk away. Take your phone with you to use Google maps to find directions, you will need it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline db ice3  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2019 01:45:59(UTC)
db ice3

Many thanks for your help / advice. Im going to ring Lokshop - their website search doesnt bring anything up when i searched for it, modellbahnshop lippe seems to show both the green and the black version in stock.

I have some euros from a long time ago that i wont be using again and so i thought i would treat myself to a gauge 1 croc.

Interesting about the black version - Iv not seen that before - would that be the rarer of the 2 do you think?

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2019 03:53:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The black Crocodile is item 55686 and according to the Märklin product database, it is only available from the Märklin Museum shop in Göppingen. The black one is probably more rare as its distribution is limited.

https://www.maerklin.de/en/produ...pdb_pi1%5Bsearchres%5D=1

55681 can still be ordered.

Beware that once you have a 1 Gauge loco you will need tracks to run it on and wagons for it to pull. Then you'll need another loco to keep it company.... And so it goes on.....
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2019 03:59:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Picture I took of the black 1 Gauge Crocodile while at the Märklin Museum shop in Göppingen a few weeks ago.

20190913_232432.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Online PeFu  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2019 05:57:25(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
An alternative could be to search on eBay.de. I would first look for price, location and reviews, then contact the seller before buying, asking if it’s OK to pick it up in Germany.

Sounds tempting, it’s a beautiful beast... BigGrin
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2019 06:08:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Not a bad idea, since some of the prices being asked are less than RRP.

This particular dealer is in Pforzheim, which as you will recall is on the way to Lokshop, and his price is 3099 €.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...10fb6:g:oYMAAOSwcPNdd8rl

I have purchased a few things from Otto, including my KM-1 BR01 180 1 Gauge loco so can recommend him. I didn't get to visit him on my trip, but probably should of since we were out that way.

His website is https://www.modellbahn-seyfried.de/
Offline db ice3  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2019 15:59:36(UTC)
db ice3

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Picture I took of the black 1 Gauge Crocodile while at the Märklin Museum shop in Göppingen a few weeks ago.

20190913_232432.jpg

Wow! - Stunning and as you say, more rare... Thinking cap has gone on now!.

i will simply need 2.5m of straight track, overhead line equipment for that simple piece of straight track, a new mobile station and transformer.

it will not move, but occasionally be powered up. no wagons, carriages or layout necessary - just a very very nice ornament for a display shelf that will be my pride and joy!.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 14 October 2019 17:00:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post

Wow! - Stunning and as you say, more rare... Thinking cap has gone on now!.

i will simply need 2.5m of straight track, overhead line equipment for that simple piece of straight track, a new mobile station and transformer.

it will not move, but occasionally be powered up. no wagons, carriages or layout necessary - just a very very nice ornament for a display shelf that will be my pride and joy!.

Be aware about the price. The black croc is up to 5.000 € per piece already on eBay and other dealer.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...Metall-neu-/183902031757

Whereas at the Maerklineum (new shop inside the Märklin plant) it shall cost 3.500 € as one guy wrote in the Stummi Forum. The green one is offered between 3.200 € to 3.500 €.
https://www.ebay.de/p/M%...e-CE-6-8-III/14032089337
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 14 October 2019 23:06:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Be aware about the price. The black croc is up to 5.000 € per piece already on eBay and other dealer.

Whereas at the Maerklineum (new shop inside the Märklin plant) it shall cost 3.500 € as one guy wrote in the Stummi Forum. The green one is offered between 3.200 € to 3.500 €.

I wouldn't go anywhere near either of those dealers.

modelleisenbahn24 has lots of 1 Gauge auctions with prices for 2nd hand items at or greater than RRP when new. For example, there are G1 Tee Rheingold coach sets which are being sold for 2199 € when they were 1499 € when new.

I've had some dealings with Eurotechnica - he didn't want to deduct VAT for sales to me outside of the EU, goodness knows what he did with the VAT that I paid. I wouldn't go near him again (unless I was really really really desperate).
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 15 October 2019 00:17:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

modelleisenbahn24 has lots of 1 Gauge auctions with prices for 2nd hand items at or greater than RRP when new. For example, there are G1 Tee Rheingold coach sets which are being sold for 2199 € when they were 1499 € when new.

I've had some dealings with Eurotechnica - he didn't want to deduct VAT for sales to me outside of the EU, goodness knows what he did with the VAT that I paid. I wouldn't go near him again (unless I was really really really desperate).

My point is not the dealer, are not taxes, my point is the price. In Germany you have to be aware the MRR market price may change everyday, up and down, whatever. If you are interested in a very sought-after article the prices may change up to 100%. Joes (where you have been a couple of weeks ago) offered the SNCF 241-A finally for a price of 1.300 €.

https://estore-sslserver...15f08b03b/Products/39241

And he sold locos for this price. As you probably remember the primary Märklin price has been at about 700 €.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 15 October 2019 00:47:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Sorry for that behaviour. It is against the law and it is particularly customer unfriendly. But was it the company Eurotechnica near Hamburg (has nothing to do with a MRR)? Or was it Euro-Tecnica in Losheim / Eifel (near Aachen right at the border to Belgium)? Euro-Tecnica is a MRR dealer and carries on its own a large model railroad layout.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2019 10:28:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
It was Euro-Technica the MRR dealer.

I blithely ordered off ebay from him because in previous dealings he had removed VAT. For whatever reason for that transaction he wouldn't do it.
Offline db ice3  
#14 Posted : 16 October 2019 13:37:11(UTC)
db ice3

Thankyou to all of you who have written something on here for. ALL information is very useful especially for someone who does not live in Germany!.

So I now have 2 questions that I hope one of you may know the best solution.

My original plan was to fly to Germany and buy the 2019 Green Croc. Since seeing Gauge 1 Many years ago it was my dream to have 1 very nice locomotive in this scale. The price then was the problem, especially as my Favourite loco is the crocodile and the green is my Favourite colour to have it in.
So when i saw that this year Marklin has a new version of it, updated with many functions, my mind was set that I would come to Germany and buy one.

You have shown me a rarer black version that i didnt know existed!. The more I look at it, the more i am beginning to like it. That it is rarer also adds to the appeal.
So should I go to the shop in Goppingen instead and buy the black one?

The 2nd Question - Brexit! I live in the UK and no1 here knows what is happening. IF there is some kind of deal or no deal and the Uk leaves europe in 2 weeks, will there suddenly be customs duty / tax to pay on the locomotive?
Because if I go to Germany in the next few days / week ( I dont know why, but flights are very cheap if booked one week in advance! ) I would buy it and bring it home before 31 October as tax /duty on a Eu3K loco will be a Lot of extra £££.

The customs duty calculation page gives an example of buying a pair of jeans for £173. adding the posting, insurance and then the customs duty takes the price payable to £266.
So for a £3k locomotive ... I dont want to think!!!.

Hence my sudden panic and hurry I need to go and get this. Or do I need to hurry? No1 seems to know and there is no1 to ask about this situation.

And green or black.

I am having Crocodil / Marklin headaches ...Blink Laugh Crying Confused
Offline JohnjeanB  
#15 Posted : 16 October 2019 13:55:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

If this is about the 55686 black Märklin krokodile why not buy it by mail https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe...86/de/modell_320755.html
They have it in stock and usually I get my things within 4 days. May be calling them to be sure would be a good precaution.

About Brexit I don't know what will happen given that both leaders of main UK parties are more interested in their own future than in the good of the UK. Most say that because of the Benn act, there will be an extension asked not matter what the last minute political gesticulations are. So you will be given another 6 month status quo .That's my 2 cents worth
Cheers

Jean
Offline TEEWolf  
#16 Posted : 17 October 2019 00:13:33(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thankyou to all of you who have written something on here for. ALL information is very useful especially for someone who does not live in Germany!.

So I now have 2 questions that I hope one of you may know the best solution.
So should I go to the shop in Goppingen instead and buy the black one?

First I would write a mail to the Maerklineum or call the shop inside the Maerklineum, asking them, if they have this black Croc still in stock and they reserve one piece for you and of course for which price.Smile Goeppingen you can go by train.

https://www.maerklin.de/...maerklineum/vorstellung/

Unfortunately this site is not available in English. But scroll down almost at the end you finde under the heading "Kontakt" phone number and mail address of the Maerklineum.

If you do not want to buy e.g. at MSL via internet. You can visit the MSL shop in Detmold. Before I would write or call them as well. Their shop in Bremen is closed now forever. To Detmold you can get by train easily too, perhaps you have to switch trains in Bielefeld.

The 2nd Question - Brexit! I live in the UK and no1 here knows what is happening. IF there is some kind of deal or no deal and the Uk leaves europe in 2 weeks, will there suddenly be customs duty / tax to pay on the locomotive?
Because if I go to Germany in the next few days / week ( I dont know why, but flights are very cheap if booked one week in advance! ) I would buy it and bring it home before 31 October as tax /duty on a Eu3K loco will be a Lot of extra £££.

The customs duty calculation page gives an example of buying a pair of jeans for £173. adding the posting, insurance and then the customs duty takes the price payable to £266.
So for a £3k locomotive ... I dont want to think!!!.

Hence my sudden panic and hurry I need to go and get this. Or do I need to hurry? No1 seems to know and there is no1 to ask about this situation.

And green or black.

I am having Crocodil / Marklin headaches ...Blink Laugh Crying Confused

Green or Black - I know by myself, a hard decision. But if you want to visit a shop anyway, perhaps they have both Crocs in stock. You can compare, grap and touch them both. Makes the decision easier.

Brexit - well in 2 weeks time we know more. Before GB is leaving the EU you do not get a refund for the VAT. After GB had left the EU, logically GB has to be treated for the VAT by Germany as all other countries outside the EU are treated as well, like USA, Canada, Switzerland, etc.. The VAT refund will be from the gross price. (All prices you see in the shops in Germany are only gross prices. This is the law.) From the gross price you get a deduction of 15,96% for the included 19% VAT. Ask at the shop for the necessary documents for the VAT tax refund. BTW, at the IMA days I was at the Maerklineum and read a sign there telling everybody they have the forms for VAT tax refunds available at the shop.

On the other hand you have to declare imported goods at the customs of your home country. But about rules and regulations there, you have to investigate by yourself.

The big questionmark will be the agreements between GB and the EU for the Brexit, if they are still able to find an agreement. Nobody knows it at the moment. Do you think, it may be worthwhile making a bet about it?Laugh

Offline hxmiesa  
#17 Posted : 17 October 2019 08:51:38(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

Well, obviously a load of old blokes in a train-forum wouldnt know that. Even if one of us were Boris Johnson in disguise...

I would choose the green croc. I havent seen any photo of a real-life black croc.
Anyway the good ol´ green one is the classic and the way to go (IMHO).

Good luck!

("If you have to ask its price, you cant afford it.", lol)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline db ice3  
#18 Posted : 18 October 2019 14:36:40(UTC)
db ice3

My point is not the dealer, are not taxes, my point is the price. In Germany you have to be aware the MRR market price may change everyday, up and down, whatever. If you are interested in a very sought-after article the prices may change up to 100%. Joes (where you have been a couple of weeks ago) offered the SNCF 241-A finally for a price of 1.300 €.

And he sold locos for this price. As you probably remember the primary Märklin price has been at about 700 €.

Hello Teewolf,

Do you know or would you be able to find for me the telephone number of the marklin shop in Goppingen?
I have tried called them on +49 7161 6080 for an hour now and nobody answers the phone!
Maybe they are having Spanish Style afternoon rest? -)))
or is it a holiday today in Germany?
Offline db ice3  
#19 Posted : 18 October 2019 14:52:58(UTC)
db ice3

Hello Teewolf,

Do you know or would you be able to find for me the telephone number of the marklin shop in Goppingen?
I have tried called them on +49 7161 6080 for an hour now and nobody answers the phone!

Its ok - they have answered the phone and i had a very nice conversation with them!.

So next week its time for me to go to buy my very 1st Gauge 1 crocodile!
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 18 October 2019 16:21:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello Teewolf,

Its ok - they have answered the phone and i had a very nice conversation with them!.

So next week its time for me to go to buy my very 1st Gauge 1 crocodile!

Wow, this sounds great. Also you know then, how the Brexit goes.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 18 October 2019 18:05:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

That looks like you were attempting to call during Lunchtime (judging by the time stamp on your post) during which many shops in Germany will be closed. Hence you have now been able to contact them a little later.

Offline db ice3  
#22 Posted : 18 October 2019 19:50:06(UTC)
db ice3

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

That looks like you were attempting to call during Lunchtime (judging by the time stamp on your post) during which many shops in Germany will be closed. Hence you have now been able to contact them a little later.

yes, i think you were correct, they were enjoying Siesta! BigGrin BigGrin