Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2019 08:03:31(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Tuning a steam decoder to match wheel rotation,
Can this be done.
I have just installed an ESU Lok-sound 5 decoder in my loco and the chuffing seems to be 2 and a bit times per revolution instead of something nearer 4 times per rev. I am not aiming for perfection but something closer would be better. It does sound pretty good thoughBigGrin . 23 or so functions.

Many thanks to Lasse for helping me get it loaded on my MS2 today.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2019 08:34:23(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dereck, although I have hundreds of locos and a large amount of steam locos I find it ever harder to program the chuff rotation to an exceptable level, there are so many CV's now you have to alter to get the right chuff and its taken me hours to do so. I can't get my head around to understand all the CV's parameters when it comes to steam chaffs. , the earlier decoders made it a little bit more simple but as the technology improved I've drifted back. One of these days I may ask for help on the ESU forum to understand the different CV's parameters which are responsible for the right chuff movement.
I also thought with an improved Loksound decoder, manufacturers would make it easier instead of making it more difficult to program the chuffs, the Loksound from a particular steam loco.,, why can't they program it for you.

sorry can't help as I have difficulties programming it myself and explaining it to you what I've done most probably works differently with each loco.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2019 08:40:31(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Dereck,

It’s a bit complicated, but can be done.

See enclosed manual and chapter 13.4.

The problem with using a MS2 programming this CV is that you probably can’t read the present value. You can give it a go or alternatively we could use my ESU lokprogrammer.

Butt maybe some users have done this programming with MS2 and can advice.

Best Regards
Lasse

ESU Loksound Decoder.pdf (2,721kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2019 13:06:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Tuning a steam decoder to match wheel rotation,
Can this be done.
I have just installed an ESU Lok-sound 5 decoder in my loco and the chuffing seems to be 2 and a bit times per revolution instead of something nearer 4 times per rev. I am not aiming for perfection but something closer would be better. It does sound pretty good thoughBigGrin . 23 or so functions.

Many thanks to Lasse for helping me get it loaded on my MS2 today.

Dereck

The manual Lasse provided is for a Loksound 4, not a 5. The LS5 has about twice as many CVs as a Loksound 4, and they don't necessarily match up.

The LS5 manual is available here.

This is an ideal application for being able to use a program like JMRI to look at the CVs and adjust them, but unfortunately it won't work with an ms2.

If you know anyone with a DCC system, and can connect a computer that would be a great advantage.

Also get yourself onto the yahoo Loksound group. There are a number of people who are very knowledgeable about LS decoders and can help you. You may be able to find enough information just browsing the messages.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2019 22:39:09(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will have a look at the manuals to see if I can do it on the MS2 otherwise I may have to get you to help again Lasse. lets wait and see,,.

John, this is my second only sound loco, so not so much work to do compared to your set up. There must be quite a few different manufacturers making the BR78, and they probably all have different frictional resistances, so may be hard to calibrate decoders to cover all of them.

I heard it can be done, and after asking the question here, I looked on google to get an idea.

Lasse and Alan. Your replies were better than I found on google.

Thanks again Lasse. Thanks very much for coming into our shop yesterday and spending about an hour sorting out the registration. I had several goes at registering it on my second MS2 and finally succeeded. It would not register on a memory card like my other MFX locos though. Have to work on that although I suspect all the others have Marklin decoders.

I had it working when a mother and son came into the shop in the afternoon, so sent the son to our office to watch it working.

All the best to everyone. Happy Marklining.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2019 13:27:13(UTC)
applor

Australia   
It's easy once you get the hang of it.

To really do it properly you need to either have a dyno track (too expensive) or what I do - rest the loco upside down with bared wires hooked into the slider and a wheel axle.
This lets you drive it for long enough to check the sync.

Then, follow the manual: You need to have your motor tuned first. You can change the top speed value later without it affecting sync, but not the motor voltage which is what you usually change to limit top speed so it has to be set to what you want.

Start off with a stopwatch and time one revolution, then divide the value by 4. This gives a very close estimate for your standard 2 cylinder locomotive, which is 4 chuffs a revolution.

Then set that value into CV57 and watch how close it is (for at least a dozen revolutions). Make changes as required, then up the speed and make the adjustments to CV58 as required.

My only problem is I can get CV57 (speed 1) OK but then CV58 can vary a bit between say 1/4 speed and full speed (ie. too fast at quarter speed but too fast at top speed)
You just need to make the best compromise there, depending on what speed its normally driven at.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany