Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline guitartoys  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2019 05:08:31(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Hello,

Well after 2 years, I've got the layout working (I'll post pictures soon). But I know need to overhaul some engines to break everything in.

The thing is, some of these engines are so old, and some never run, but just been in boxes since the 50's (my friend here has some 50 engines)

My question is, on the motors, you can see what I would best describe as a little lubrication pocket (please help me with the proper name).

And it looks like it has some sort of foam in it, so you could put some oil in there, and it would hold some so the engine could run over time.

But on most of these, that material has so deteriorated, that it has become solid. On one engine, it froze the motor shaft.

I've been able to dig it out and clean up the motor, which is running beautifully now. But I wanted to ask what I should use to replace that material.

Should I just put some cotton in there? Is there something better recommended? Wool yarn? I'm guessing here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2019 09:44:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: guitartoys Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Well after 2 years, I've got the layout working (I'll post pictures soon). But I know need to overhaul some engines to break everything in.

The thing is, some of these engines are so old, and some never run, but just been in boxes since the 50's (my friend here has some 50 engines)

My question is, on the motors, you can see what I would best describe as a little lubrication pocket (please help me with the proper name).

And it looks like it has some sort of foam in it, so you could put some oil in there, and it would hold some so the engine could run over time.

But on most of these, that material has so deteriorated, that it has become solid. On one engine, it froze the motor shaft.

I've been able to dig it out and clean up the motor, which is running beautifully now. But I wanted to ask what I should use to replace that material.

Should I just put some cotton in there? Is there something better recommended? Wool yarn? I'm guessing here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

That material is a "wick", designed to slow-release any oil as required.

You might try possibly a store that deals in smoking products, or alternatively an outdoor/camping store (as used in lanterns etc), you only want a small amount of it.

That would be better than just cotton, any material with threads could run the risk of a find thread being pulled into the axle and then causing issues.

I have seen sponge rubber used and this would work initially although I would imagine it would perish in time from the oil.

There might be a part number for replacements but I have not seen any.

Regards

Steve

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Rich Rusty  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2019 16:06:45(UTC)
Rich Rusty

United Kingdom   
Hi Michael.
Check out Marklin 600660. It might be what you're lookng for.
Regards, Rich.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2019 16:12:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I just use a small piece of foam rubber.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline guitartoys  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2019 16:33:22(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Thanks everyone. You've been immensely helpful.

What I've found on some of these old engines is that the foam oil sponges have decomposed so much that on one engine, it literally had frozen the rotor shaft on the motor.

I've been digging them out and making good progress on cleaning and getting the engines working, and I was just wanting to replace the sponge.

But as some of you have pointed out, foam is just going to decompose again, and I was wondering if there was a better alternative. But again as one of you pointed out, anything with a thread (like cotton) could get wrapped up around the shaft and bind things up.

Funny, I can't seem to find the 600660 on the Marklin site, or in the US. But did find a German site.

I'm getting a list together, as he needs a bunch of rubber tires too, as most of the engines need those replaced as well, in addition to some couplers, bulbs, etc. It looks like some of these old bulbs are hard to get too (like bulb 610 080)

He's got more than 40 engines, and I just found another box the other night with a handful of other engines in it too.

Thanks.

Michael
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2019 16:41:16(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, you may have to replace the foam again in another 40 years!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2019 17:54:36(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have some, used for sealing big ball bearings, it is actually a cotton product; but quite sturdy in it's square form.

It's called a compression packing, maybe a workshop restoring old car or tractors would have some.

In your case I would try with a small piece of a cigarette filter ( !!! ) BigGrin

It is made of cellulose acetate and should be oil resistant: http://www.advantecmfs.c...membranes/ChemCompMB.php

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline guitartoys  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2019 18:41:32(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Per,

See, that's what I was thinking too (compression packing). I seem to recall that they were felt (wool).

That's pretty funny, hey, I'd like to buy a pack of cigs. What kind? Doesn't matter, I just want to chop the filters off for my train engines.

Michael
Offline guitartoys  
#9 Posted : 09 October 2019 18:43:23(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Just out of curiosity, what do they call that little pocket on the motor above the shafts, where you stuff this foam?

Oil well? Just wondering?

Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 09 October 2019 18:56:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Per,

See, that's what I was thinking too (compression packing). I seem to recall that they were felt (wool).

That's pretty funny, hey, I'd like to buy a pack of cigs. What kind? Doesn't matter, I just want to chop the filters off for my train engines.

Michael

You don't need to buy (expensive) ciggies, just buy the filters the roll-your-own guys use.

Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 09 October 2019 20:02:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I seem to recall that they were felt (wool)

Maybe they just felt like felt LOL

They could be; but when I Googled to find the correct technical term, cotton came up Cool

However, the ones I found Google-ing didn't look like the ones I know, the cotton ones are woven.

I know we used to lower them in to a tray filled with oil, and then heat the oil up, to get most of the air out;
otherwise the oil would not go in to the material Cool

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 09 October 2019 20:28:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Funny, I can't seem to find the 600660 on the Marklin site, or in the US. But did find a German site.

You have to do a spare parts database search to find it:
https://www.maerklin.de/...arts/spare-parts-search/

That leads to: https://www.maerklinshop...mstoff-einlage-20-stueck

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 09 October 2019 20:36:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
In my original post I mentioned a smokers type of store but did not make the specific connection to filters - my bad.

But.... after my first decent night's sleep in a week since returning from München (my wife is back also, I'm sure that helps) I had a "DOH! moment remembering how I replaced the wick on several Loco's just a few months back.

A side hobby is IBM Selectric 'Golfball' tyepwriters, for which I still have a heap of old-stock parts. Take a look at this listing and scroll about 1/3rd of the way down to "02-050 Wiper Print Shaft"....

https://www.marklin-user.../IBM-OPCEKit-Listing.htm

This is virtually exactly what you need. It's designed to retain oil to lubricate the rotating shaft it slides along. In size it's roughly a small coin, or maybe 2cm stretched out. I just used side-cutters to snip off a small peice - one wiper would provide enough wick for around 50 Loco's.

If you don't find anything suitable let me know, I'll pop one into an envelope to you, just PM me your postal address.

Cheers

Cookee

Edited by user 10 October 2019 22:48:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Michael4  
#14 Posted : 10 October 2019 15:57:26(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Most foams intended for automotive use are resistant to oil etc. Have a look at the inside of your car's hood/bonnet and snip a tiny bit off!

The only thing I can think of worth checking is that it isn't closed cell foam. If it absorbs oil it isn't.
Offline guitartoys  
#15 Posted : 10 October 2019 16:07:45(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Very good point on the auto foam being oil resistant. I'll probably run over to the auto parts place and see what I can find.

But I did order a bunch of the Marklin foam, but in the meantime, I am using the cigarette filters, which look to work well.

All good now.

Thanks.

Michael