Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jbblunck  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2019 23:11:57(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Odd issue.

I just completed a rather large helix, R2, 3.1%, 14 levels. You can see a short video of it here: https://vimeo.com/362877324.

So far, all my locomotives can navigate it without fuss. Long trains, short trains. No surprises.

However, I have a 37080 loco that while it can go up and down by itself, it chokes immediately upon entering the incline with even a one car load. The drive wheels seize. They don't spin for lack of traction, they just seize. I can put it in reverse and back down. Go forward again, and no matter how quickly or slowly I enter the helix, it just stops, making a slight electrical crackling sound. I tried it on another part of my layout that has a short rise, and it seizes there too. The shoe seems to make contact ok -- lights and sound stay on.

I've tried communicating in either DCC 28 or MFX 28 and the results are the same.

Any ideas what might cause this behavior?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jbblunck
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2019 23:17:34(UTC)
applor

Australia   
If you say the lights and sound still function OK but the wheels stop and it makes an electrical crackling sound, then I would think the motor wires are either losing electrical connectivity or being shorted.

Take the body off the locomotive so you can see the motor and wiring, drive it slowly and see if you can observe what the cause is.

Also I don't think the load has anything to do with it, rather the transition into an incline.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Gregor  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2019 09:44:23(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Can it be that the drive rods jam?
Check if the wheels are aligned with each other.

UserPostedImage

Gregor
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2019 14:20:24(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Maybe some gears are out of alignement, and with the slightest change of inclination, they will disengage or bind/rub against the chasis¿?
Depending on the kind of motor it has, it can also be that the motor is seated wrongly, and with the inclination and/or curvature of the track, it disengages.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2019 04:20:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Check to see whether the slider is coming into contact with the chassis and shorting out when it changes from level to incline.
If this is the case or if it is some other issue related to entering an incline, if you push the locomotive a few inches, it should start again.
Most, if not all, Maerklin loks have at least two wheels with traction tires (if not more). It is possible that the change in incline might cause a situation where the ground return in not in sufficient contact for the locomotive to keep moving.

What happens if you turn the lok 180 degrees?

What happens if you add a second engine to see if this gives your steamer the push it needs to get over what ever is causing it to stop?

Regards

Mike C
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2019 12:09:49(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
All good suggestions above.
If you have an opportunity, can you try to post a video showing the phenomenon? (With sound and close up of the wheels if you can...!!)
We may be able to give you a better indication.
This loco has a DCM motor, whick is pretty much mechanically nuke-proof.
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline waltklatt  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2019 14:55:05(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Sounds like a gear or cog is binding as the loco enters a turn.
If you run the loco through a similar curve, but flat plane, does it bind as well?
Do you have full movement of the trucks/axles?
Might need to open up the loco to see.
Think when the loco enters a curve the confines with the gears and body are tight, but add an incline, maybe too much and something binds.
Walter