Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2019 04:24:14(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Marklin Flying Scotsman.jpg

Dear All

My wife has inherited a collection of O gauge tinplate and amongst it are a few Marklin O gauge items. The latest find is a prewar Marklin live steam 4-6-2 Flying Scotsman locomotive and tender. The loco has been repainted, however the tender is still original in LNER green. What we would like to know, is there a demand for this type of Marklin. I just know H0/OO Marklin having it all my life. Any history on the loco would be great, never seen one of these before.

Regards
David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2019 09:20:10(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post

Dear All

My wife has inherited a collection of O gauge tinplate and amongst it are a few Marklin O gauge items. The latest find is a prewar Marklin live steam 4-6-2 Flying Scotsman locomotive and tender. The loco has been repainted, however the tender is still original in LNER green. What we would like to know, is there a demand for this type of Marklin. I just know H0/OO Marklin having it all my life. Any history on the loco would be great, never seen one of these before.

Regards
David

Hi David,

Looks like the repainting may have included an error in the number. If it's 0 gauge, the Loco number should 4020, the '4021' painted on the cab indicates a Gauge 1 loco but that's quite a bit larger again. From what I can see, your example does appear to be 0 gauge as you state. I guess it was repainted due to the original paint being in poor condition, quite common with live-steam models due to the heat and spillage.

So from what can tell, the correct catalogue code should be "H 4020" for your model but someone may be able to clarify. I've attached a page from the UK 1929 catalogue showing the G1 version which is the closest I could find to yours but even then the Tender is not quite right (bogies).

Generally they show just one with the assumption the other version is much the same, just smaller or larger as the case may be. Take the Boiler rings for example, the G1 has 6 rings, yours has five. Probably kept the same spacing, just dropped one to keep it looking visually balanced.

But if you google "Märklin H 4020" and also "Märklin H 4021" and then select images, you'll quickly see other examples. As for demand, well of course there's always interest, but with items like this condition can be everything. Yours has been repainted and not accurately so that would put many collectors off. Ironically, many would prefer a tatty original, than a repaint, no matter how well it's done, but much worse when done incorrectly. But of course it could be a late great-Uncle that repainted it, using whatever materials and skills were available and it's still part of the history of the time.

Hope this helps

Cheers #9-1929UK-p07.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bryan  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2019 00:58:10(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear Cookee

Thank for the information on the live steam locomotive. We have found more examples, now we know the catalogue number. Most have ended up like the fate of this one, played with and the paintwork scorched. However beautifully constructed.

Regards
David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2019 18:14:56(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Found a similar loco that sold on eBay UK recently:

https://rover.ebay.com/r..._trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3