Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarcelV  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2019 06:04:29(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
While I am looking into expansion of my slowly growing collection of marklin stuff, which I am really enjoying btw, I am trying to convince myself that my next big purchase (after the modelclub V320 and the cars that go with it), shall be a CS3+. That will require a new power adapter and for sure I will wait till the new black powerbrick will be released. But purchasing that would give me the current switch mode powerpack for a cluster of M83’s/M84’s. Reading more about it, it looks like I need to install inline also a 60822. So far, so good, I understand (except for the fact that they don’t seem to make those casings black as well while all new stuff is in black casing so Marklin, get with the program, and put a black box around it. Looks just much better.... probably no one else besides me cares about that but that should be a good enough reason.... lol

But that’s not my question. My question is to the connectivity between power supply, the 60822 and then 1 or more M83/84’s.
The power supply goes into the 60822. The M83 goes directly into the 60822 by using the right socket and a next M83 will use the right socket on the M83. All daisychained. I also know that, and that’s how I use them currently, the M83 chain can pull power from the track. But I noticed there is also a standard power contact on the M83 that seems to fit the switched mode powerpack. What am I missing? Why is this even on this device when you always need to use the 60822? Is there some magic Märklin logic I am not aware of?

Can someone please explain?

Thanks,

Marcel

Edited by user 12 August 2019 12:38:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2019 00:10:29(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: MarcelV Go to Quoted Post
Why is this even on this device when you always need to use the 60822? Is there some magic Märklin logic I am not aware of?

Generally I am in favour of understanding the historic perspective, as it sometimes shows where experience has influenced the improvement of a product as it matures.

In the case of Marklin and the 60822 there is, in my opinion, no point in trying to explain the 6 years, plus, of incompetence.

I do not use 60822s for the m83/m84 environment when using an external power source.

If Marklin were to challenge a warranty claim I would cite exactly the observation you make AND go one step further and request justification for stating , in the manual, that a 18v power supply (6636x) is the only available power supply to be used when the base of the m8x decoders very obviously states 19v
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2019 01:42:49(UTC)
TEEWolf

While I am looking into expansion of my slowly growing collection of marklin stuff, which I am really enjoying btw, I am trying to convince myself that my next big purchase (after the modelclub V320 and the cars that go with it), shall be a CS3+. That will require a new power adapter and for sure I will wait till the new black powerbrick will be released. But purchasing that would give me the current switch mode powerpack for a cluster of M83’s/M84’s. Reading more about it, it looks like I need to install inline also a 60822. So far, so good, I understand (except for the fact that they don’t seem to make those casings black as well while all new stuff is in black casing so Marklin, get with the program, and put a black box around it. Looks just much better.... probably no one else besides me cares about that but that should be a good enough reason.... lol

But that’s not my question. My question is to the connectivity between power supply, the 60822 and then 1 or more M83/84’s.
The power supply goes into the 60822. The M83 goes directly into the 60822 by using the right socket and a next M83 will use the right socket on the M83. All daisychained. I also know that, and that’s how I use them currently, the M83 chain can pull power from the track. But I noticed there is also a standard power contact on the M83 that seems to fit the switched mode powerpack. What am I missing? Why is this even on this device when you always need to use the 60822? Is there some magic Märklin logic I am not aware of?

Thanks,

Marcel

There are some threads here at marklin-users.net about the 60822 and its relating devices.

https://www.marklin-user...22-Universal-Supply-Unit

https://www.marklin-user...of-addresses--CS3--m8--2

also very helpful is Charlie's blog from ajckids and of course the digital letters from Maerklin US.

https://www.ajckids.com/blog/?p=656

https://www.marklin-user...rklin-Digital-Newsletter

And also the Maerklin publications, which are only in German available. But they contain helpful diagramms for wiring and connecting m83 and m84

https://www.maerklin.de/...2_Digital_MM_2014_01.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...5_Digital_MM_2014_04.pdf

For me always helpful is the total overview of Maerklin digital systems architecture as well.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Gesamt%C3%BCbersicht.pdf

Plenty docs for studiing to get explanations. Enjoy it.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline MarcelV  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2019 01:52:51(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Plenty docs for studiing to get explanations. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the links! I have the book 03092, but this is really helpful. There is so much you can do, it’s easy to get lost... :) Appreciate the guidance.
Offline Drjoe11  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2019 13:03:23(UTC)
Drjoe11

United States   
Question: What is the VA draw of a K83? I am building a new layout and I want to use my old K83s and new M83s. THans for any help.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2019 19:43:13(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

K83 have a small current draw (idle) so much that you may neglect it. I cannot provide a number but idle power order is 1 VA. Of course it is a different story when solenoids are energized.
I had 7 of them but replaced them with M83 (60832) because they have no security to switch off. This can be ignored if you switch solenoids with end travel switches.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Drjoe11  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2019 20:26:46(UTC)
Drjoe11

United States   
Thank you Jean.That really helps. Joe
Online kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 12 August 2019 21:39:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thanks,

Marcel

Sometimes the sales side don't talk to, or ignore, the engineers actually doing the design. The fitting may have been designed in at the circuitry design stage and used for initial bench testing, then some marketing guy gets a bee in his bonnet that there is a "better way" that can take more money from the customer base as this involves another bit of hardware sold, and this becomes the "only way" in the resulting customer documentation.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan