Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2019 00:22:42(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Recently a very close friend of mine died and left me his modest collection of Marklin which included a Marklin 3089. Most likely this lok did not run since 1974 and now it is locked up.I know this has been posted before but can someone help me with this problem. Perhaps this subject should be on a skicky note. Thanks - Fred
Offline analogmike  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2019 01:37:58(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I recently did the Primex version of the same lok. Never try to move the wheels with your fingers on a lok which is locked up. You may spin the wheel from the axle. I know, This happened to me once. Completely dismantle the motor (do not pull the wheels or gears). I then use a needle oiler filled with Ronson Lighter Fluid and get it into all axels, gear shafts and anything else that moves. Blow out with compressed air. Repeat.
You must remove ALL the hardened oil or problem will return sooner or later. Mine was pretty bad. I think that it was never run from day one. I think I had to douche it out 3-4 times until I was sure that all that gook was gone. After it starts to move I have a rubber wheel on my Dremel
which I use to spin the lok without the armature. Lightly oil. Replace tires. Have fun.
Take your time, Wear safety glasses, This is not a rush job.
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2019 03:05:59(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   

Thanks Mikey it worked with only one application of the lighter fluid however I do not have compressed are so it will have air dry overnight.
Offline analogmike  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2019 12:20:35(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Mikey it worked with only one application of the lighter fluid however I do not have compressed are so it will have air dry overnight.

The purpose of the compressed air is to remove all the old oil in the bearings which was loosened up by the lighter fluid. Depending on how much gook is in there, when it dries it can solidify and cause trouble again. I think you'll be OK but if the trouble comes back it's time to put in a requisition with the FD for a small compressor. After that you can get an air brush. Also, it's a great way to clean the layout. Cool

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2019 12:31:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post

The purpose of the compressed air is to remove all the old oil in the bearings which was loosened up by the lighter fluid. Depending on how much gook is in there, when it dries it can solidify and cause trouble again. I think you'll be OK but if the trouble comes back it's time to put in a requisition with the FD for a small compressor. After that you can get an air brush. Also, it's a great way to clean the layout. Cool

Mikey

Another alternative is cans of compressed air, which is what I would look at if you don't need a compressor.

But also some lateral thinking may help, do you have a device for inflating the tyres on your car? If you have a nozzle for that which is designed for pumping up balls and lilos then that may well do the job as a one off solution.

Offline SteamNut  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2019 00:14:00(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks for all the reply's but now there a short. I do not see any visibly wrong so I brought it to Reynauld's today. Even if I found a loose or broken wire I would not be up to the task of soldering it.
Offline DamonKelly  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2019 11:29:57(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Another alternative is cans of compressed air, which is what I would look at if you don't need a compressor.

But also some lateral thinking may help, do you have a device for inflating the tyres on your car? If you have a nozzle for that which is designed for pumping up balls and lilos then that may well do the job as a one off solution.

I've seen people using a tyre itself i.e. an old spare tyre on a wheel. You need an attachment to connect to the tyre valve.
Cheers,
Damon