Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dino  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2019 17:57:23(UTC)
Dino

Belgium   
hello,

I've looked around on how to convert analog to digital but i'm quite confused what to buy. If anyone could help me out with a tutorial or some kind would really help me. Here are some pictures. I don't know much about this stuff.

1 2 3
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2019 19:00:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There are two parts to the conversion.

First you have to convert the motor to a DC motor, and this can be done using the 60944 motor kit. Basically you take the motor apart, discard the old armature, brushes, brush plate and field coils, and replace them with the parts that come in the kit.

After this the reversing unit relay must be removed and replaced by a decoder. The Marklin 60972 is a good one for this. The instructions give you a guide to which cable connects where.

I'm afraid that if you have no idea what the different parts I named are then possibly this conversion is beyond your abilities. A step-by-step tutorial might help but could also lead to expensive mistakes and disappointment. You could try going to a Marklin dealer and asking if they'll do the work for you.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Dino  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2019 20:38:37(UTC)
Dino

Belgium   
How could this be beyond my abilities. I' just quite confused how to take the motor apart. I don't think the decoder will be a problem since it's just soldering the wires which doesnt seem hard. Theres just multiple decoders and I do not know which one is the best option. I guess I could try and take the motor apart... whats the worst that could happen?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2019 22:52:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Dino Go to Quoted Post
How could this be beyond my abilities. I' just quite confused how to take the motor apart. I don't think the decoder will be a problem since it's just soldering the wires which doesnt seem hard. Theres just multiple decoders and I do not know which one is the best option. I guess I could try and take the motor apart... whats the worst that could happen?

How complex do you want the project to be?

Are you looking to add sound? If so the process that Ray described is what you need to do. If not then Marklin do now provide a decoder that is a drop in replacement for the reversing unit and saves replacing the motor parts. See the 60906 decoder details. You can download the manual from that page and ply us with any further questions you may have after perusing that.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2019 22:58:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Dino Go to Quoted Post

1: To take this a step further, what are you wanting your conversion outcome to be?

Just very basic digital control or more features such as sound etc.

If you don't want flickering headlights then the conversion is more complex.

2: What Digital Controller do you have already? That may also influence the best decoder option.

3: Asking what could go wrong is very subjective. We don't know your skill level, your mechanical/technical aptitude.

The 3021 is really a good solid loco and relatively basic, possibly one of the easiest to work on. If you are unsure how to get that motor apart you will at the very least need the older Service Manual book.

4: Will it be cost-effective to convert? You can get a 3021 with Decoder already installed for around the same cost as converting one. So unless the Loco is special in some way, maybe inherited or your first loco from many years, or maybe in exceptional condition, then perhaps sell it as analogue and put the money into a replacement?

But conversion can be fun and rewarding to do, just so long as the end result is what you expect and economical.

Good luck

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Dino  
#6 Posted : 03 August 2019 23:19:00(UTC)
Dino

Belgium   
I really appreciate that info! I got multiple trains from my grandfather and just wanted to try out and convert one. Maybe it isnt worth it and I could just keep it for show. I also have some other trains which I could convert like the 3007, 3027 and the 3002 but they seem harder. Also, I was only gonna change it without sound etc since that's more expensive and probably not worth it. If I'm ever gonna do it tho I have the CS1 and what about the flickering?
Online Ross  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2019 00:48:09(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Dino,

Please read my article below on converting the 3021

3021 Conversion Article

Use the latest decoder you can get to suit your requirements.

Hope you find the information useful.

Ross
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ross